Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You may get better results out of this https://github.com/CnCNet/cnc-ddraw instead of the glide wrapper. Ignore its instruction to turn off compatibility mode, that will disable your mouse wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

dis astranagant posted:

You may get better results out of this https://github.com/CnCNet/cnc-ddraw instead of the glide wrapper. Ignore its instruction to turn off compatibility mode, that will disable your mouse wheel.
I think I've fixed the problem. I had added a new SSD to this machine and put ES on there. Previously when I'd tried to play ES, and abandoned it because I couldn't get it to work, it had been on a different hard drive.

Something (probably some registry setting that got added during install then never removed) was telling Diablo 2 to look in the old install location, and when it couldn't find the file it freaked out. Here's the log file. My old hard drive is E:, the new one is G: (yeah I have a lot of hard drives!)

code:
09:32:27.322  [D2MULTI]  Start closing at 84560312

09:32:27.323  [D2MULTI]  Finish closing at 84560312.  Elapsed: 0

09:32:27.660  ENG is locale

09:32:27.729  Duplicate string index 'rainbow facet'
09:32:27.794  Error opening file: E:\More Games\Diablo II\PlugY\statsinterface.txt
09:32:27.794  
09:32:27.794  
09:32:27.794  ------------------------------------------------------
09:32:27.795  PROGRAM:       D2Loader D2Loader v1.10b14 Build On Oct 29 2003
09:32:27.795  COMPUTER NAME: 
09:32:27.795  USER NAME:     
09:32:27.795  TIME:          2021-03-19 09:32:27.794
09:32:27.795  
09:32:27.795  --------  FILE: compileTxtFile    LINE: 0  --------

Assertion Failure
Expression : pbData
09:32:32.182  Closing Glide window....
09:32:32.198  ... Glide window closed.
09:32:33.380  Opening Glide window at 800x600...
09:32:33.401  	TMU(0) MinAddress= 0, MaxAddress= 16777152, Size= 16.00 MB
09:32:33.401  	TMU(1) MinAddress= 0, MaxAddress= 16777152, Size= 16.00 MB
09:32:33.401  Opening Glide window succeeded, context= 262144
09:32:33.423  Low End Machine: FALSE
09:32:33.423  D2CMPSpriteCacheInit: 512000
09:32:39.626  Stack bytes:
09:32:39.626  0019F980: 00000000 00000000 F066E574 FEFFFFFF  ........ðfåtþÿÿÿ
So the moral of this seems to be if you have ever installed D2/ES before and you get this error, the fix is to move it back to its old install location (and if you've forgotten where that is the logfile will tell you). I could probably go through the registry and work out what's causing it to do that, but :effort:

The only problem now is that when I quit it keeps my primary monitor locked to D2's resolution and keeps the mouse captured, so I need to manually kill the process to get my machine back. But hey, at least it works!

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 19, 2021

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
New patch:
https://garfu.dev/Step3.zip

*Skill books (very very rare drop). Drops from H Clones, with Nihl's domain Nihls being the best, Izual second best, the rest equal. They are white labeled and don't show up in pick by default, so keep an eye out
*Izuals can now drop up to scroll 50
*Respec token purchasable from Akara (deathrat)
*Stash/player gold limit increased by a lot

Respec token isn't working at the moment but a fix is coming soon.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 19, 2021

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Recent changes that should be deployed soon:

*Organ drop rate increased 3x to be more in line with the tinkering buff. Tinkering limit was removed a long time ago but there have never been enough organs to make a difference... hopefully this helps that.
*Skill book drop rate reduced. Should be an end game chase item. Monitoring rates and will adjust if needed
*Immolation available on left click

Respec still not working.

If you're crashing when talking to Akara you will need to download Step3, posted above

Garfu fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 21, 2021

US Foreign Policy
Jan 5, 2006

Things to liberate:
You
Your shit

Spookydonut posted:

Gotta use the IP: 108.39.200.68

This should go in the OP

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

so should the step3 zip

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

They both are now

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Holy poo poo!!!!

I play through this every few months just for funs. I’ll read the OP and join in tomorrowish

Is pok here?

You’re patching it again?????

Put the flaming sword back in, I never got to use it.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 22, 2021

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

funmanguy posted:

Holy poo poo!!!!

I play through this every few months just for funs. I’ll read the OP and join in tomorrowish

Is pok here?

You’re patching it again?????

Put the flaming sword back in, I never got to use it.

buddy,

im getting ready to reinstall tonight maybe

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Flaming sword potentially on the way...

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Sorry for the newbie question, this is the first time I've played - for respecs, I'm supposed to use the Token of Absolution I can buy from Akara in Act 1, right?

But they aren't working, so it won't do anything for now?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 22, 2021

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Zephro posted:

Sorry for the newbie question, this is the first time I've played - for respecs, I'm supposed to use the Token of Absolution I can buy from Akara in Act 1, right?

But they aren't working, so it won't do anything for now?

If the person running the server has time, they can give you a full respec manually. its annoying to do, but possible while garf works.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yeah, for right now the token respecs are not working. Deathrat (not me) is going to take a look when he has time. It involves some setup server side that we can't test at the moment.

The alternative is setting the website back up... which I suppose we can do. We'll see

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

OK, thanks! I was hoping to test out some of the new skills without ruining the character, but tbh it's fun just checking out all the other new stuff too. I can always start a new char for a first serious attempt.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 22, 2021

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

You can still request a respec from DNFJ in the discord linked in the OP so you're not completely stuck. There just may be a waiting period

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
Goontopia is back and its being updated? You son of a bitch, i'm in!

Edit: If I already have the last goontopia still installed, do I just need patch3 and the gateway edit?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Nosthula posted:

Goontopia is back and its being updated? You son of a bitch, i'm in!

Edit: If I already have the last goontopia still installed, do I just need patch3 and the gateway edit?

Technically... But I'd do a full reinstall in a new directory. My old one broke somehow.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Garfu posted:

Technically... But I'd do a full reinstall in a new directory. My old one broke somehow.

Thanks, one final question Garfu. I also have an old copy of goontopia server i've had on my local computer since the last server. Do I need to install the patch on that as well. If so where does it go? I like to revisit d2es more often than we tend to have servers. ☺

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Nosthula posted:

Thanks, one final question Garfu. I also have an old copy of goontopia server i've had on my local computer since the last server. Do I need to install the patch on that as well. If so where does it go? I like to revisit d2es more often than we tend to have servers. ☺

Yeah. Overwriting what's in Step3.zip in D2GS should work. Not entirely sure as I'm not hosting the server this time

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003
Oh man I remember the last time I played this with goons. My light barb had so many loving auras other people couldn't play with me without crashing all the time.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Garfu posted:

Yeah. Overwriting what's in Step3.zip in D2GS should work. Not entirely sure as I'm not hosting the server this time

No worries, I'll figure it out, was just being lazy.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Nosthula posted:

No intention on taking this one down at any point.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

I really appreciate that. I also know at some point dark days will come and having my server always up to date makes me sleep better at night. I'm just too lazy to figure out how to make it usable by the masses like you fine people have done.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

I love you.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I just saw the banner ad for the first time and oh god do I really want to get back into this? (I do, I want to get back into this.)

I'll see if I can find some time to join soon. I'm not even very good at this but I always had fun with ES regardless.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Consolidated new patch notes:

* Stash and inventory gold limit increased a lot
* Skill books drop from clones. Nihl's domain Nihl's have the highest chance
* Izuals drop up to scroll 50
* Organ's drop 4x as often
* New organ conversion recipes: 3x organ + Diamond = next organ | 3x organ + Skull = previous organ
* Teleport and Cold/Lit/Fire mastery oskills can now appear on boots

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the last time I played Diablo 2 was when I used to hang out at a Korean internet cafe

I must have killed the Cow King 1000 times hunting for elusive drops

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Garfu posted:

* New organ conversion recipes: 3x organ + Diamond = next organ | 3x organ + Skull = previous organ

Now I need to reevaluate my boots/belt/gloves math.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Garfu posted:

* Teleport ... oskills can now appear on boots

:vince:

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Ehhh, gently caress it, it has been a long rear end time since I have last played ES.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I must have some gigantic rose tinted glasses on because i remember skills being changed from vanilla D2 to a much larger degree than they are.

I made a sorc and a zon yesterday and their skill trees are virtually identical with vanilla. If you had asked me a couple of days ago i would have said that 90% of the skills was reworked or different entirely.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

I must have some gigantic rose tinted glasses on because i remember skills being changed from vanilla D2 to a much larger degree than they are.

I made a sorc and a zon yesterday and their skill trees are virtually identical with vanilla. If you had asked me a couple of days ago i would have said that 90% of the skills was reworked or different entirely.

Yeah, each class just has 6 new skills and some reworks. Every class has melee skills, damage spells and a meatshield summon if they didn't already have them, and paladin gained a rudimentary bow option. The biggest change overall is that nearly every player animation was sped up except for a few already super fast outliers.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Garfu posted:

Farming brains in Harpy Nest for rare/unique amulets seems a tad absurd now

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

You may be thinking of certain playstyles, like Lit Barbs or Immolate Sorcs. Only a few skills were changed or added, but it enabled a bunch of entirely new character concepts.

Eastern Sun kind of sits in the midpoint between the minor tweaks of Slash Diablo and total overhauls like Median XL.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I Love You! posted:

Farming brains in Harpy Nest for rare/unique amulets seems a tad absurd now

I don't get it. How is the Harpy's Nest any different than other areas? I just checked it out, nothing out of the ordinary. Harpies drop hearts, though.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Garfu posted:

I don't get it. How is the Harpy's Nest any different than other areas? I just checked it out, nothing out of the ordinary. Harpies drop hearts, though.

The little cowfly guys in the basement drop brains in very high numbers and are insanely dense/fast to get to kill as a sorc for example, while you're also getting Dstones and other great drops from Clones. Not that it's insane for a super lategame char but you can just be filling your inventory up with brains and dstones even as a sub-40 char now very, very fast.

It's all gravy as there's a million broken things you can do in the game but it definitely makes farming high-powered amulets a lot easier than most other things.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
Where is this Harpies Den that I now need to visit?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nosthula posted:

Where is this Harpies Den that I now need to visit?

Act 3, one of the kurast maps has it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mustached Demon posted:

Act 3, one of the kurast maps has it.

Specifically it's always on the kurast causeway, between upper kurast and travincal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What do you do with brains to make good amulets? I've never gotten super deep into the crafting system.