Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
re: Titan Life - Stephen Baxter wrote a book that prominently features life on Titan - indigenous to Titan as well as brought from Earth - and is also simultaneously the most pessimistic and the most optimistic book I've ever read, cleverly named "Titan".

The book is horribly pessimistic for the first 550of its 581 pages, then it suddenly does this emotional 180 and is just this Best Possible Outcome Bar None all over those last 30 pages. At least, to me. Maybe I was just in a weird headspace when I read it, because:

mycomancy posted:

It's definitely a sore spot for me.
Some of what you say is exactly what I would say. Not the details, but yeah, academia is a gently caress, most of the time.

But I don't want to continue to talk about scientific fuckups, I'd like to hear more about the possibilities for life on Titan, Mars, Venus, Europa... there must be others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

EasilyConfused posted:

It's been a long time since I read Titan, but I don't think the best possible outcome was the destruction of civilization.

We're not supposed to get into Science Fiction too much here (I read the RSF posting rules after I posted about Titan) but that's the end of the pessimism, right after that it's like "but here's the incredible flip side of that!"
Again, I was probably in a weird head space when I read Titan, it was about 12 years ago and I was in the middle of a catastrophically-falling-apart PhD. I got better, and got my PhD elsewhere.

I've got pictures from 2008 - around the time I read Titan - of the research station on Devon Island, in the Canadian High Arctic. At the time, they were testing out some prototype human-habitat modules for future Mars missions, the Haughton Impact Crater is a pretty good stand in for the red planet, the ground looks right but the sky is blue. I wish I could find those photos, they're probably buried on a USB HDD tucked away at home.