Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The moon is awesome and super cool, and it rocks! In two ways, in fact. Both because it IS rocks (bet you didn't see that pun coming) and because its slightly-elliptical orbit gives it an apparent rocking motion over the course of a month when seen from Earth, called libration.

Share your favorite MOON FACTS in this thread! (Do YOU have a moon? Why or why not?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Apollo 14 took 500 tree seeds (Loblolly Pine, Sycamore, Sweetgum, Redwood, and Douglas Fir) to orbit the Moon, then returned them to earth and they are planted various places.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
ive always thought it was interesting that extremely low orbits would be achievable if the moon wasn't so LUMPY. low lunar orbits are impacted by the moons nonhomogeneous structure with lots of mass concentrations or (MASCONs) perturbing orbits in a very significant way.

yo momma not just fat, she got mystery lumps

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

One of the Apollo astronauts had a mild heart attack while orbiting the Moon. (Even the Earth can't claim any orbital heart attack victims!)

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

Both because it IS rocks

wrong. its green cheese

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

cuntman.net posted:

wrong. its green cheese

As demonstrated in this Apollo astronaut video footage:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i was thinking the other day how it would be great to retire to the moon. easier on aching backs etc.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

drat I didn't know the moon wasn't already in a stable orbit

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Would it even be possible to mine He3 with our current technology (let's for arguments sake just say that money is not a problem whatsoever)?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Greggster posted:

Would it even be possible to mine He3 with our current technology (let's for arguments sake just say that money is not a problem whatsoever)?

We could certainly (if money was no object) collect and send back at least small quantities of Helium-3, painstakingly concentrated from the lunar regolith.

The bigger problem is that so far we haven't invented any fusion reactors in which to burn it.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

ive always thought it was interesting that extremely low orbits would be achievable if the moon wasn't so LUMPY. low lunar orbits are impacted by the moons nonhomogeneous structure with lots of mass concentrations or (MASCONs) perturbing orbits in a very significant way.

yo momma not just fat, she got mystery lumps

do hose mass concentrations correspond with features, e.g. craters on the surface? what is the why for the moon lumps?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

cuntman.net posted:

wrong. its green cheese

Wrong again. Its ribs. Meant to be washed down with an ice cold budweiser.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 23, 2021

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

FACT: The moon is covered in a substance called "regolith," also known as moon dust. This is because it is hard to get people up there to dust or vaccuum, so it has accumulated a thick layer of it.

FACT: The moon is over 400 years old.

FACT: There is no liquid water on the moon, which means there are no functioning toilets, so be sure to go before you leave Earth.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Although it looks reasonably uniform from earth, either light grey or dark grey, the various Apollo astronauts who have seen it up close describe it a variety of different ways, running from pure white, through various greys and browns. It's a simple distinction but I like that it's way more complex when you get close.

Frances Nurples posted:

do hose mass concentrations correspond with features, e.g. craters on the surface? what is the why for the moon lumps?

Not sure about the craters (but my guess is yes), but those are gravity lumps, so it basically has to be big lumps of heavy poo poo (read: metal). Almost certainly space rocks (possibly broken off bits of the earth) with high concentrations of metal that were subsumed into it.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 23, 2021

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

The moon is the 5th largest satellite in the solar system and the second most dense. Pluto is only about 20% as massive as the moon.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

FACT: The regolith is not a scary monster who put astronauts in danger of being devoured. It's just a bunch of freakin dust. Lame.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
FACT: the Moon is beautiful

https://twitter.com/cosmosastroart/status/1363591268228624386?s=21

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

FACT: The Moon smells like burned gunpowder.

When the Apollo moonwalkers came back inside the ship and took off their spacesuit helmets, they all noticed the scent of the moon dust they'd tracked in. Most astronauts thought it smelled like gunpowder; a few thought it smelled more like charcoal, or "fireplace ashes sprinkled with water". In any case, it smells burned. It's speculated that this is because of various compounds in the regolith being exposed to oxygen for the first time ever, and undergoing a reaction that smells a bit like the result of a fire (which is just an energetic oxidation, after all).

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

FACT: The Moon smells like burned gunpowder.

When the Apollo moonwalkers came back inside the ship and took off their spacesuit helmets, they all noticed the scent of the moon dust they'd tracked in. Most astronauts thought it smelled like gunpowder; a few thought it smelled more like charcoal, or "fireplace ashes sprinkled with water". In any case, it smells burned. It's speculated that this is because of various compounds in the regolith being exposed to oxygen for the first time ever, and undergoing a reaction that smells a bit like the result of a fire (which is just an energetic oxidation, after all).

neat!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
i got sent to the special school for librating in public

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Why is showing your rear end called mooning? The moon has no crack? There’s not two moons? Where’s the moons hair?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Well actually this contradicts itself. Is there liquid water or not, moonbow promoting infographic?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ah yes, the moonbow. The lunar counterpart to the weather phenomenon we all know as the sunbow.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Weka posted:

Well actually this contradicts itself. Is there liquid water or not, moonbow promoting infographic?

they're talking about the phenomenon known as a moonbow, which happens on earth, in moonlight. it's a myth that it "only happens" at certain locations. famously, cumberland falls in kentucky likes to tout that fact.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
The movie moon is good

The actual moon is a big lame rock

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I have some questions vis a vis the moon is this the correct thread thanks

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

FACT: This is the correct thread for moon-related questions.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
QUESTION: can we tittyfuck the moon

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

FOLLOW UP QUESTION: can we fit all 3,474km of the moon down our throat without gagging

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

FINAL QUESTION: What is the recommended dose of muscle relaxers to take before attempting to "take" the moon

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Ariong posted:

FACT: This is the correct thread for moon-related questions.

Ok thanks

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Yes. (Just be careful of abrasion, some of those rocks are pointy.)
Yes in theory, but only after extensive orthodontia.
None. YOLO.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

What is being done about the lunar Robots?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

QUESTION: can we tittyfuck the moon

OMGVBFLOL posted:

FOLLOW UP QUESTION: can we fit all 3,474km of the moon down our throat without gagging

OMGVBFLOL posted:

FINAL QUESTION: What is the recommended dose of muscle relaxers to take before attempting to "take" the moon

same

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

FACT: Any robots on the moon are merely artifacts from now-completed lunar missions.

FACT: The lunar robots are no longer operational.

FACT: The lunar robots are not capable of self-operation.

FACT: The lunar robots have no concept of abandonment or revenge.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!

PittTheElder posted:

Although it looks reasonably uniform from earth, either light grey or dark grey, the various Apollo astronauts who have seen it up close describe it a variety of different ways, running from pure white, through various greys and browns. It's a simple distinction but I like that it's way more complex when you get close.

Don't forget orange! Gene Cernan famously got excited seeing orange soil at Shorty Crater during Apollo 17.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

drat thats cool

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Ariong posted:

FACT: Any robots on the moon are merely artifacts from now-completed lunar missions.

that we know of......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Ariong posted:

whew, thats a load off my mind