Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

mediaphage posted:

they're talking about the phenomenon known as a moonbow, which happens on earth, in moonlight. it's a myth that it "only happens" at certain locations. famously, cumberland falls in kentucky likes to tout that fact.

Dang me your right. That seems obvious and not really about the moon but light and water in general. I bet there's way cooler moon facts. Like about nazis living on the dark side or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I think we should wait for ALL of the facts to come in before making any decisions regarding the moon. There are simply too many “loose ends” if you will

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:flashfact: You could build a space elevator on the moon with Kevlar.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Lawman 0 posted:

:flashfact: You could build a space elevator on the moon with Kevlar.

I assure you that I could not

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

FACT: I cannot see the moon right now. I hope it is doing okay:ohdear:

Y2KayBug
Feb 26, 2021
In some parts of the world. The moon has a horizontal eclipse

Click here to visit Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe A Nostalgic Y2K Community Forum

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

FACT: The moon is okay.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the full moon is tonight!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Actuary X posted:

I assure you that I could not

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm more concerned about lunar robots as in the robots the moon is sending to US

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

remember iron sky? that was the moment i realized cg is now within reach of lovely b movies

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
TIL there's probably a tiny picture, on the moon, of a dick drawn by Andy Warhol.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

I'm more concerned about lunar robots as in the robots the moon is sending to US

oh gently caress

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/ProfAbelMendez/status/1367641023388803074

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
When the Moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

FACT: The moon does not emit light, moonlight is simply reflected sunlight.

FACT: Many believe that the lunar soil has unique alchemical properties due to the way that the effect of sunlight on magical creatures, such as werewolves and vampires, is altered when the light is bounced off of the moon first. However, this is incorrect, because magic and alchemy and werewolves and vampires are fake.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FACT: The most recent spaceship to visit the Moon did so just a few months ago. China's Chang'e 5 probe landed on the lunar surface in December 2020:

(Huge version of this image)

Then it scooped up some dirt samples, drilling as far as two meters down for them:

Then it blasted back off. Its reentry capsule returned to Earth a few days later:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

China has failed in it's quest to slay the moon with it's spears. It still lives

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

truly the thing that unites us all is wanting to gently caress the moon

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

It's called the moom you idiots

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I thought it was called the Mun

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The card says “Moops”

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

in '69 man first touched the boob

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Fact: The moon's surface is very very dark, about the same color and reflectance as a newly-paved asphalt parking lot.

If it were polished white, it would appear roughly as bright at night as the sun does in the daytime. Only the fact that it's almost completely black with dust means it's as dim as it is (not very). All those pictures from the moon that appear very bright are because there is nothing at all attenuating the sun's light, so diffuse and specular light keeps the entire surface well-lit from every angle to any observer.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

FACT: The most recent spaceship to visit the Moon did so just a few months ago. China's Chang'e 5 probe landed on the lunar surface in December 2020:

That's neat and all, but why didn't they do important science like figuring out if lens caps have the same properties on the Moon as on Earth instead?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Foxfire_ posted:

That's neat and all, but why didn't they do important science like figuring out if lens caps have the same properties on the Moon as on Earth instead?

We know something of their properties on Venus, at least -- one of the old Soviet landers once managed to eject its lens cap exactly onto the only spot where its robot arm (for testing soil compressibility) could go.

It turns out lens caps have very similar compressibility in space as they do on earth.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

get those planet facts the [i]gently caress[\i] out of the moon facts thread

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Fact: the Moon is not chasing your family’s car. Your dad is just being a dick and won’t let it pass.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
FACT: The Moon is bigger than Pluto.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Fact: some people are allergic to the moon. Astronaut Harrison Schmitt had an allergic reaction for about two hours from all the moon dust tracked back into the lunar module when he took his suit off.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hitch posted:

Fact: some people are allergic to the moon. Astronaut Harrison Schmitt had an allergic reaction for about two hours from all the moon dust tracked back into the lunar module when he took his suit off.

In all honesty moon dust is nasty as gently caress and will probably give unlucky moon base crews silicosis.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

In all honesty moon dust is nasty as gently caress and will probably give unlucky moon base crews silicosis.

Luckily, looks like Harrison avoided that. Turns out he’s the most recent person to walk on the moon still living. Moon facts.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

twoday posted:

FACT: The Moon is bigger than Pluto.

pluto can eat my lovely rear end

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

Actual lung damage would be a pretty extreme case, but yeah, moon dust is going to be a pain to deal with. Mars dust may present problems too.

A really promising idea to keep from tracking that poo poo into your nice clean ship is a concept called Suitport that the folks at NASA have been working on for a while. Instead of bringing your whole spacesuit inside with you, you "dock" the backpack part to a port on your ship/rover/base/whatever, swing the back open on a big hinge, and shimmy your way out through the back of the suit, leaving the filthy exterior of the suit outside. When you're going out again, just slide back into the suit, shut the backpack hatch and stroll off.

It's still new and experimental, but with some more development it can probably be made to be faster and easier than a traditional airlock, and with less losses of your atmosphere gases. And you even get to have your empty spacesuits standing guard outside like big spooky gargoyles. :ghost:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Stick scary inflateable heads in the helmets and have the servos put both arms into a default middle fingers up state

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

fact: you can smoke moon dust for a mellow high

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Powered Descent posted:

Actual lung damage would be a pretty extreme case, but yeah, moon dust is going to be a pain to deal with. Mars dust may present problems too.

A really promising idea to keep from tracking that poo poo into your nice clean ship is a concept called Suitport that the folks at NASA have been working on for a while. Instead of bringing your whole spacesuit inside with you, you "dock" the backpack part to a port on your ship/rover/base/whatever, swing the back open on a big hinge, and shimmy your way out through the back of the suit, leaving the filthy exterior of the suit outside. When you're going out again, just slide back into the suit, shut the backpack hatch and stroll off.

It's still new and experimental, but with some more development it can probably be made to be faster and easier than a traditional airlock, and with less losses of your atmosphere gases. And you even get to have your empty spacesuits standing guard outside like big spooky gargoyles. :ghost:

Looks like a dope way to rapidly deploy Moon Rangers.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Mars dust may present problems too.
Martian soil is just straight up toxic. It's full of various perchlorate compounds at concentrations that stop thyroid glands from working right

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

Martian soil is just straight up toxic. It's full of various perchlorate compounds at concentrations that stop thyroid glands from working right

It's amazing that Matt Damon was able to grow potatoes out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

It's amazing that Matt Damon was able to grow potatoes out of it

the large goiter he developed in the novel got cut from the movie. typical hollywood