Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Cobra Commander posted:

What if we shoot lasers from our battlecruiser and miss the enemy? Where do the lasers go? They've gotta hit something, right?

Absent perfect optics they'll diffuse into harmlessness after several dozen kilometers. With hypothetical sci-fi perfect optics you'd still be diffraction limited due to quantum effects, so the same would happen but take longer.

Optical weapons don't really miss, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Oh, I was referring to thermal lensing effects degrading beam quality, and preemptively countering the hypothetical "but what if futuretech materials science??" because even a perfectly focused stream of photons will diffuse.

RE Star Wars, funny thing about lasers is that for all the fanfare they've had for decades they'd probably be pretty bad at intercepting space missiles once the tech is accounted for, since you can just armor them up.