Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Alan Bean was the LM pilot for Apollo 12, and also the commander of the second Skylab crew. He was the guy who toggled the SCE switch to AUX after the Yankee Clipper got hit by lightning during the ascent to orbit. He'd hoped to play a prank during his moonwalk by secreting away a camera timer for the Hasselblad and setting up an "impossible" photo of himself and Pete Conrad ("who took the darn photo?? we didn't include a timer in the mission equipment!") but sadly couldn't find it in time.

RIP Alan Bean, NASA's greatest astronaut-artist.

Bean also fried the first color TV camera in space almost immediately by accidentally pointing it at the sun and then took a loose camera to the face during splashdown. The man did not have good luck with cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

:allears:

the best.

Also, somewhat related: when I was still on Facebook, I was part of a few Apollo groups. SCE2AUX is a very popular license plate choice for a lot of those guys.

I keep getting social media ads for a replica of that switch. They also sell a replica of the Apollo 13 O2 tank stirrers, that one is kinda grim imo.