Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ranzear posted:

Buzz Aldrin gets my vote. Not for being the second on the moon or anything, but for literally writing the book on orbital rendezvous.

I mean, it's a thesis paper, but it's 300+ pages. That qualifies as a book to me.

Semi-related: One of the best and most understated decisions of the Apollo program was that the first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong, be a civilian.

I understand there's some want to shy away from these guys, but there are reasons they were the first.

Aldrin also has some orbits named after him which he used to come up with the concept of the Mars Cycler which is pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

poisonpill posted:

Honestly, Neil was a cool dude and gets a lot of justified respect. He was knowledgeable, smart, had a good work ethic, and humble. The only civvie iirc. Walked on the moon and then went home.

E: First Man captures his personality pretty well

I just watched First Man and I thought it was ok but I don't like Ryan Gosling was the right choice at all.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Burning Beard posted:

If you have Twitter/Facebook, Mike Collins is a pro-follow. He posts about all sorts of stuff and is just a really interesting guy.

I met Buzz at a book singing here a few years back. He rambled for about an hour. It was like your drunken grandpa telling fishing stories on Thanksgiving but replace fishing with "The Moon". It was actually kinda fun. Supposedly though he is having issues with dementia, which is sad.

There was an anecdote from the Challenger hearings where apparently Neil would, after the day was over, pour a glass of scotch and just talk about the moon landings to whomever wanted to listen. He was on the committee that investigated the accident.

Iirc he's basically in a fight with his children to prove he's still lucid.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:rip: You did good buddy.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/important_celeb/status/1387483801010511878