Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

aniviron posted:

I was going to say Harrison Schmitt, I saw him give a presentation about Helium 3 mining on the moon when I was a kid, and he was one of the only actual scientists sent to the moon, which is cool.

But, uh, I looked him up before posting this out of curiosity and apparently he's a climate change denier and thinks it's a hoax by communists to bring down the US by bloating its government, among other things, which isn't terribly cool.

So instead I am going to say Pete Conrad because he had a reputation as a joker and I am not going to look him up before posting this.

a lot of those guys have bad opinions about a lot of things. My fave is John Young.
Owen Garriott is another, but only for the connection to Richard.

I met Bill Anders a few years ago but wasn't aware of who I was talking to until a few weeks later. He was pretty chill.

quote:

Collins also wrote "Carrying the Fire," the best of the astronaut memoirs. You should read it if you haven't! His speech on Apollo 11's return journey, about how the 3 astronauts are like the periscope of a submarine, representing the thousands of anonymous people who worked to get them to the moon, gets me emotional.

Absolutely the best astronaut memoir, hands down. The chapter on survival training had me laughing pretty hard. Something about eating lizards that I don't quite remember now.
The worst one I've read was All American Boys. I get that Eisele and Cunningham didn't have much influence over what Schirra did (lol) but Cunningham's book was all salt. He was specifically angry over Cernan's selection to Apollo 17 after crashing a helicopter or something.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yes, he got pretty testy. Probably didn't help that they all had a cold, but still - none of them ever went up again.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I like that Bruce got to be on one of the Space Program's most iconic photographs.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Also: played on TV by Dave Foley.

:allears:

the best.

Also, somewhat related: when I was still on Facebook, I was part of a few Apollo groups. SCE2AUX is a very popular license plate choice for a lot of those guys.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

poisonpill posted:

Honestly, Neil was a cool dude and gets a lot of justified respect. He was knowledgeable, smart, had a good work ethic, and humble. The only civvie iirc. Walked on the moon and then went home.

E: First Man captures his personality pretty well

most of the FB Apollo boomers HATED First Man with a passion. It was amazing.

Harrison Schmitt and Elliot See were the only other civilian Apollo astronauts iirc

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The best Apollo era movie is Apollo 11 :colbert:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Roumba posted:

But all that's available are terrible screencam bootlegs.

The most widely seen lost film.

We are talking about the same 2019 Documentary?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Roumba posted:

lol no I forgot about that. I thought you were quipping that the actual Apollo 11 footage was better than any movie.

well that's pretty much what it is, plus a bunch of goofy dressed people looking up. I have it on as background noise now and then. I wish someone would make Mike Collins' book into a movie. :allears: The funniest astronaut memoir.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That commission also had Sally Ride, Richard Feynman, and Chuck Yeager on it. That last one is funny. I wonder if he contributed anything other than curmudgeonly sour grapes.

Edit: That reminds me - "Truth, Lies, and O-rings" by Allan McDonald, one of Thiokol's senior engineers for the shuttle SRB program, is technically very interesting if it weren't for the constant distraction of McDonald bleating that it wasn't his fault and nobody listened to him. It does have some details on the Rogers Commission.
Disclaimer: I 'read' that as an audiobook and it's possible that it was just terrible, whiny narration.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
RIP funniest Apollo astronaut :(