Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PokeJoe posted:

i want to be the first person to eat an alien

Pretty sure Jeffrey Dahmer beat you to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The distance problem combined with the speed of light means we’re basically stuck looking at the Milky Way, as even if another galaxy were entirely colonized in a way that we could detect, we wouldn’t be able to see it for a long time. Even if there’s a species with a ten million-year golden age, if they’re a hundred thousand light years away, we’re probably not lasting long enough to see them get started.

The trouble with this is exponential growth.

Let's say that there's a single species that wants to discover other species, and is sufficiently advanced to build Von Neumann probes. These probes are dispatched with solar sails or electric propulsion systems to seek out civilizations at other stars, and if none are found, to use the raw material in those systems to build copies of themselves and repeat the process. Every star in the galaxy could be visited and explored in a time frame that is very short compared to the age of the galaxy itself, even at non-relativistic speeds.

It's possible that:

1. Von Neumann probes are physically impossible
2. No civilization advanced enough to do this actually wants to

but neither of those seem very likely. That there isn't and hasn't been a a civlization advanced enough to do so seems much more likely.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

We need a golden record with Dickbutt.