Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Bula Vinaka posted:

"Spooky action at a distance" or quantum entanglement is real however, and is instantaneous from the perspective of anything living in the universe. If you could somehow gain control of just enough particles in a distant part of the universe, maybe you could get them to form a self replicating molecule, then get those molecules to become more complex.

Maybe that's what RNA/DNA is?

You cannot communicate information via quantum entanglement. You cannot influence the outcome of events outside of your light cone.

That's just how the universe works. Don't blame the messenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Mooey Cow posted:

You can easily influence events outside your future lightcone via quantum entanglement though there is no known way to use that for communication

The requirement that the universe, from your perspective, remains consistent is not precisely equivalent to the requirement that influence can extend outside your lightcone.

Just sayin'.

I admit the distinction is perhaps more subtle than I previously implied.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 24, 2021

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

People convinced aliens don't exist because they haven't contacted us is like being convinced humans don't exist because dogs can't answer cellphones.

I am not at all convinced aliens don't exist.

I am pretty effectively convinced that intelligent life that is or was either actively seeking intra-species contact/communication or building megastructures is exceptionally rare.