Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Most people probably think of "aliens" as:

1) The "grey" ones that are part of popular culture with large heads and big black eyes and tiny mouths, etc.

2) Movie aliens

The above two things are not really aliens at all, they are conceptions based on alternative reality earths.

People can't remove their "filters", or preconceived notions of what intelligent life would be.

They don't start with a true "clean slate," and instead start with set ideas of what alien life *has* to have... internal organs like earth life, sensory organs like earth life, eyes, brain, mouth, ears, etc...

Truly alien life forms might not have the same organs that life on earth has, and they might not even detect the same senses that we do... visible light, sound waves, etc.

They probably wouldn't even have RNA/DNA and could be based on some completely unthought of type of base self replicating molecule.

I'd like to see more science fiction that more openly explores the ideas and concepts of what true aliens could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Sally posted:

i like the alien in Solaris where it's actually just a giant ocean that sends people psychic manifestations of their deceased loved ones to gently caress with them

I was thinking that actually. Like the manifestations are meaningful to the people who meet them, but the alien entity "planet" itself, although is capable of sensing human beings' subconscious, has no real idea what any of it means on the level of a human mind. Perhaps the manifestations were simply its way of trying to say hello.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Dross posted:

Yeah, if it turns out that FTL travel actually is literally impossible, then that puts a pretty big damper on expansion capability. Or there actually is a Great Filter.

"Spooky action at a distance" or quantum entanglement is real however, and is instantaneous from the perspective of anything living in the universe. If you could somehow gain control of just enough particles in a distant part of the universe, maybe you could get them to form a self replicating molecule, then get those molecules to become more complex.

Maybe that's what RNA/DNA is?

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I wonder if there could be something like this, but instead of sound waves, it's some kind of quantum resonance, and instead of salt crystals, it's hydrogen atoms or maybe even some smaller quantum particle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvJAgrUBF4w

I wonder if would at least be possible to communicate with other intelligences in our universe using quantum entanglement.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Bula Vinaka posted:

I wonder if would at least be possible to communicate with other intelligences in our universe using quantum entanglement.

Maybe I should have Google'd that. The answer is it won't work, because if you force an entangled particle into a particular state, you break the entanglement. You can only receive. You can't send. :(

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chadorzel/2016/05/04/the-real-reasons-quantum-entanglement-doesnt-allow-faster-than-light-communication/