Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

of course the solar system isnt two bodies its a bunch of bodies so its all kinda ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

egghead astronomers make it overly complicated so they can get their grubby little hands on more grant money. keep it simple, stupids!

big? ✔️
up there? ✔️
it's a planet!
It's just a conspiracy set up by big-planet to oppress little planets

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

fondue posted:

It's just a conspiracy set up by big-planet to oppress little planets

but unironically

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

research money flows to the "cool" planets

"cool" is defined as "visible"

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
What if Pluto is the only planet, and all the other bodies are the ones that need to be reclassified?

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
I met Clyde Tombaugh (discoverer of Pluto) a few times as a kid, and even got to look through his backyard telescope once, because I grew up in the Las Cruces, NM, neighborhood he lived in. He founded the Astronomy Department at NMSU and was generous with his time in fostering enthusiasm for astronomy in the community. He discovered Pluto by using a blink comparator to view photographic plates of observations he made at Lowell Observatory in Arizona. I've tried this and even if you know for sure there is a visible planet in the plates it's hard. Tombaugh made the discovery in Feb. 18 1930, which means we just passed the 91st anniversary of human awareness of Pluto.

A portion of his ashes were attached to the New Horizons Spacecraft, and his remains are the first to travel into deep space and the first that will leave the solar system forever to travel among the stars.

Interned herein are remains of American Clyde W. Tombaugh, discoverer of Pluto and the solar system's ‘third zone,' Adelle and Muron's boy, Patricia's husband, Annette and Alden's father, astronomer, teacher, punster, and friend: Clyde W. Tombaugh (1906-1997)

He inscribed a copy of his biography to me in 1995.

Pluto should be a considered a planet, so should Ceres, and all the other things big enough to roundify themselves.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Pluto is a distinctly different object than any of the other things we have labeled as a planet and you'd think Pluto defenders would be more happy with that.

The problem really is that "planet" is a dumb classification for babies and there is a much more interesting distinction between near-sun rock pebbles, midway gas giants, outer ice giants and far-outer ice pebbles.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

It doesn't matter how the IAU define Pluto, because it's still a giant icy rock in space. They can't take that away from it.

Their definition is pretty bad, though, and they don't seem to care about acknowledging any more dwarf planets. And why have two mutually exclusive categories called dwarf planets and planets? That's just needlessly confusing. At least call the planets major planets or classical planets or orbit-loners or something.

Beethovens Fist Symphony posted:

word. if you're in hydrostatic equilibrium, you're a dang planet

pluto: planet
ceres: planet
earth's moon: planet
the sun: planet
Also this.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Beethovens Fist Symphony posted:

word. if you're in hydrostatic equilibrium, you're a dang planet

pluto: planet
ceres: planet
earth's moon: planet
the sun: planet

ur mom: planet

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

my balls: planets

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I love you Pluto and I'll never stop believing in u :love:

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Pluto, is not a puto

Horrible Butts
May 7, 2012
I’m glad Pluto’s not a planet because I like Pluto and planets are trash.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

We'd have reached Pluto way earlier if NASA bigwigs didn't have such a hardon for Titan; Voyager 1 could have gone on course to Pluto after Saturn, but nooooooooo let's go look at Titan, and the flyby sent the probe way out of the plane of the ecliptic, making it useless as anything but a solar wind/heliopause probe after.

We could have been at Pluto in the late 90s and saved Alan Stern all those years of waiting for New Horizons is what I'm saying

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

titan is 1000x cooler than loving pluto

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Binary Badger posted:

We'd have reached Pluto way earlier if NASA bigwigs didn't have such a hardon for Titan; Voyager 1 could have gone on course to Pluto after Saturn, but nooooooooo let's go look at Titan, and the flyby sent the probe way out of the plane of the ecliptic, making it useless as anything but a solar wind/heliopause probe after.

We could have been at Pluto in the late 90s and saved Alan Stern all those years of waiting for New Horizons is what I'm saying

Counter point, 2010 technology is a lot cooler than than 2070's technology. It was worth the wait.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Bloody posted:

titan is 1000x cooler than loving pluto

You're in the wrong thread friend :toughguy:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Dalael posted:

fight me

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dalael posted:

I actually meant to make a titan thread thanks for the reminder

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
When i was young and learned about the solar system, Pluto was a planet. Nobody at the time told m one of its moon is like half its size.

In fact, nobody told me about its moon and that's a flaw in the education system.

Charon seems also cool. Why does nobody ever talk about Charon? Ya'll biased or something?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The Pluto-Charon system is super cool.

Charon and Pluto orbit the sun like two skaters holding each other by the arms..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Jm5POCAj8

Just look at this bitchin' music video that Brian May of Queen and also Respected Astronomer made, especially at around 1:58 where they show how Pluto and Charon orbit the sun..

Together they look like a tumbling dumbell spinning in space, tell me that isn't cool with a straight face.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Pluto! I believe in you.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

That's part of how fake of a planet is. Can't even keep its barycenter inside itself

sentiments
Feb 26, 2020

eh
pluto deserves so much more

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
It has five moons, atmosphere and a bunch of nice photos made by photographer from another planet, what more it can deserve

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

commando in tophat posted:

It has five moons, atmosphere and a bunch of nice photos made by photographer from another planet, what more it can deserve

our love and affection

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Enfys posted:

our love and affection

Everybody already loves this dwarf planet

sentiments
Feb 26, 2020

eh

i have it on great authority that pluto is actually very tall

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

it already has a giant heart tattooed on it already, fer chrissake

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

We all better appreciate Pluto before it decides to leave us and seek out a better solar system like this fella:

https://news.agu.org/press-release/interstellar-object-oumuamua-is-likely-a-piece-of-a-pluto-like-planet

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Enfys posted:

We all better appreciate Pluto before it decides to leave us and seek out a better solar system like this fella:

https://news.agu.org/press-release/interstellar-object-oumuamua-is-likely-a-piece-of-a-pluto-like-planet

pluto should just gently caress off and leave already

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pluto, the best planet

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Pluto more like poo-to

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

pluto should just gently caress off and leave already

looks like Sedna tried to but like a codependent it keeps coming back

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Pluto is cool. Earth & Mars are overrated. We should all move to Pluto.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Dalael posted:

I'm already there

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Dalael posted:

You first

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Bloody posted:

You first

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bloody posted:

You first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

New Horizons is the neatest space probe I did not do anything for because I worked across the street in a different department of the company