Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's up with O'Neill Cylinders?
Yes!
No.
View Results

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
This is what's up: they're the drat high frontier. Get in, dummy, we're going to space.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

bennyfactor posted:

This is what's up: they're the drat high frontier. Get in, dummy, we're going to space.

Hell yeah

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

bennyfactor posted:

I'm ashamed to admit that I own my own copy of this primarily so I could take a picture of myself smoking weed while reading it

Seriously though anyone interested in space habitation should read it, I also have The High Frontier The Easy Way but I haven't cracked that one open yet so I don't know if it's good

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Tighclops posted:

I'm ashamed to admit that I own my own copy of this primarily so I could take a picture of myself smoking weed while reading it

Seriously though anyone interested in space habitation should read it, I also have The High Frontier The Easy Way but I haven't cracked that one open yet so I don't know if it's good

The solution to everything, yes everything, is to go to space. Example: would you like to grow 100% organic, disease free produce? Just do it in Space.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
it was the dawn of the third age of mankind

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I always thought O'Neill cylinders were a sci-fi novel thing. Knowing that it's an actual concept is much cooler.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I love how Babylon 5 was always running out of poo poo even though they had their own fusion reactor and a star right there and all that open air to grow things

Like bitch maybe don't fill your hab with zen stone gardens and baseball diamonds, that way you can have an orange occasionally

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Tighclops posted:

I love how Babylon 5 was always running out of poo poo even though they had their own fusion reactor and a star right there and all that open air to grow things

Like bitch maybe don't fill your hab with zen stone gardens and baseball diamonds, that way you can have an orange occasionally

Orange trees take a fair amount of time to mature, though. Even if they transplanted them in around the pilot episode they wouldn't be producing anything until season 5 at the earliest.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mal-3 posted:

Orange trees take a fair amount of time to mature, though. Even if they transplanted them in around the pilot episode they wouldn't be producing anything until season 5 at the earliest.

grafted trees fruit pretty quick, even if in limited amounts

i should really watch the renewed versions of B5, i never really got into it on tv

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

live in space and give earth back to mother nature, just imo

i support this idea as long as i can still visit and camp/hike in nature for a time. also no one hand wrings about the forced depopulation of poor people which would absolutely have to happen.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, climate change will take care of the surplus population

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
my av

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Bloody posted:

if you have infinite time and capabilities why gently caress around with oneill cylinders instead of a dyson sphere

i'm more of an alderson disc guy myself

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tighclops posted:

For real I'm super interested in space habs since gravity wells are for NERDS and PEOPLE WHO DON'T gently caress

Look at this guy's cool as gently caress concept art of 150 and 500 meter space habs: https://spacehabs.com/galleries/

e: poo poo like this is possible with 1960's materials science, you don't need graphene hypertubes or whatever the gently caress either. It's just a matter of getting up there and digging the regolith/ores you need out of space rocks or the moon

I like the ones with soccer fields and golf courses because can you imagine the angles and moves people would have to do to deal with the coriolis effect of the station spinning?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

i support this idea as long as i can still visit and camp/hike in nature for a time. also no one hand wrings about the forced depopulation of poor people which would absolutely have to happen.

I think the latter wouldn't be too much of an issue because I think actually making a space habitat -- let alone enough to comfortably house the entire human population -- couldn't happen outside of actually realized post-scarcity communism. Setting up any kind of spaceborne industrial base that could even begin to produce the infrastructure that would let you, eventually, get to habitats would be a generations-long investment with zero profit and would also require either a one-world government and the abolition of states as we know them now (at the very least so no one has any real impetus to drop an asteroid or something on someone else as they're bootstrapping space industry). I guess it remains to be seen but I don't think anything of this scale could be produced under capitalism or any other barbaric economic modes.

Though I guess I don't know how you'd deal with people who really don't want to move, but maybe there wouldn't be too many of them once you really got going. Maybe protected land (or at least rules against industrialization) for people who wanted to participate in culturally or personally important historic modes of living? A handful of arcologies for the biologists, archaeologists, nature-lovers, etc.? You're probably right in that vacationing to the homeworld would be a big deal, but I think by that point you'd have your skyhooks and space elevators and it'd probably be a lot easier, cheaper, and cleaner than actually staging landings.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Cthulu Carl posted:

I like the ones with soccer fields and golf courses because can you imagine the angles and moves people would have to do to deal with the coriolis effect of the station spinning?

gravity also gets weaker as you go up, right? so you'd have to worry pretty harshly about your ball just like, getting stuck in the middle

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Bloody posted:

if you have infinite time and capabilities why gently caress around with oneill cylinders instead of a dyson sphere

The sphere powers your cylinders. Also nobody's gonna be building spheres as the material constraints render it impractical. A dyson swarm is where it's at.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
A Dyson swarm of Bernal spheres

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Lamebot posted:

The sphere powers your cylinders. Also nobody's gonna be building spheres as the material constraints render it impractical. A dyson swarm is where it's at.

But the solar sails only last half an hour (full hour with upgrades)!

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I thought O'Neill cylinders were long-term unstable because they aren't rotating around their primary axis or whatever the word is?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Roumba posted:

I thought O'Neill cylinders were long-term unstable because they aren't rotating around their primary axis or whatever the word is?

Are you talking about this major/minor axis flipping thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VPfZ_XzisU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

Are you talking about this major/minor axis flipping thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VPfZ_XzisU

Now I'm grabbing random objects and flipping them to see if I can get that to happen. And I'm also learn the extent of how poor my hand-eye coordination is when trying to catch them.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Roumba posted:

Yeah which is why you should probably build them in pairs iirc.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

They did have fresh fruit on Babylon 5 - orchards are specifically mentioned. (Captain Sheridan marveled at it because he couldn't get fresh fruit on the starship Agamemnon.)

What they didn't have was eggs, which seems odd since you'd think it'd be pretty easy to raise chickens there; you could feed them food scraps, and not only do you get eggs (and occasionally, meat), but also fertilizer.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Roumba posted:

Pretty sure that unless the diameter and length are pretty similar (maybe adjusted for mass along each axis), cylinders can rotate ... cylindrically? without having to worry about that

If it's a long cylinder, it's like spinning a tennis racket with a twist of your wrist. If it's a short cylinder it's like spinning it while keeping it flat. You'd need to deliberately set up the edge case where a cylinder would behave like a tennis racket you toss up to flip end-over-end

Ah, no, I see now. The issue is that a single rotating cylinder is too stable and the gyroscopic effect would therefore be resistance against keeping orientation relative to the star as the cylinder orbits. Having counter-rotating cylinders makes it easier to keep it positioned correctly.

stringless fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Roumba posted:

Having a counter-rotating cylinder to account for this is what makes an O'Neill cylinder as opposed to just any old giant cylindrical space habitat.

e: oh wait I have it backwards