Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's up with O'Neill Cylinders?
Yes!
No.
View Results

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

theyre insanely badass, op

I'd love to live in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

it's also way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way loving easier to build a bunch of big orbital or lagrange habitats and stuff them full of perfect clean atmosphere and parks and living spaces and make a bunch of redundant safety systems etc. etc. etc than try and terraform an entire goddamn planet

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

live in space and give earth back to mother nature, just imo

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Bloody posted:

It still begs the question of why. It's never gonna be self sustaining, it has literally no resources available except for too much sunlight. It's at best a solution in search of a problem, but really it's just a million problems dressed up as a solution

why? hang out near the asteroid belt (or, better yet, build your habs in asteroids) and you can have all the water and raw materials you could ever want. "too much sunlight" just means that you've got free, clean energy blasted at you 24/7. It could be as self sustaining as any modern human civilization is now.

there's no reason or ability for us, today, in 2021 to think about orbital habitats seriously, but if humanity is going to exist for any reasonable length of time getting the hell off of earth and into environments that we can build and customize to suit us is -- if nothing else -- the environmentally responsible thing to do.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I mean eventually, yeah. It's gonna eventually get burned to a crisp anyway.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

a civilization like ours could reasonably start building oneill cylinders/other permanent space habitation within a hundred years and transition to mostly living in those in a few hundred or thousand. maybe much sooner if we actually had our poo poo together. we're still a long, long way off from any kind of dyson anything, if they're ultimately even possible. oneill cylinders are technically possible today with mundane science and known materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

i support this idea as long as i can still visit and camp/hike in nature for a time. also no one hand wrings about the forced depopulation of poor people which would absolutely have to happen.

I think the latter wouldn't be too much of an issue because I think actually making a space habitat -- let alone enough to comfortably house the entire human population -- couldn't happen outside of actually realized post-scarcity communism. Setting up any kind of spaceborne industrial base that could even begin to produce the infrastructure that would let you, eventually, get to habitats would be a generations-long investment with zero profit and would also require either a one-world government and the abolition of states as we know them now (at the very least so no one has any real impetus to drop an asteroid or something on someone else as they're bootstrapping space industry). I guess it remains to be seen but I don't think anything of this scale could be produced under capitalism or any other barbaric economic modes.

Though I guess I don't know how you'd deal with people who really don't want to move, but maybe there wouldn't be too many of them once you really got going. Maybe protected land (or at least rules against industrialization) for people who wanted to participate in culturally or personally important historic modes of living? A handful of arcologies for the biologists, archaeologists, nature-lovers, etc.? You're probably right in that vacationing to the homeworld would be a big deal, but I think by that point you'd have your skyhooks and space elevators and it'd probably be a lot easier, cheaper, and cleaner than actually staging landings.