Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
If you like space (and you probably do if you're in this subforum) you really should check out the TV show The Expanse!

Here are some worldbuilding highlights:

- Takes place in 2350
- Traveling through space is pretty common and people schlep all around it on the reg
- Humans have colonized Mars and it is now its own independent state called the Martian Congressional Republic, or MCR
- The asteroid belt and moons of outer planets have also been colonized, mostly for mining, and are collectively referred to as The Belt
- Earth, Mars, and The Belt all sort of hate each other

It has its own thread here if you want to get into it but the headline is this: The Expanse features a lot of really cool scenes in space that actually respect Newtonian physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bue6keWmJmQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryrGPjyKhO4

There's only two physics things the show ignores:

- There's a sci-fi invention called the Epstein Drive that makes traveling through space much cheaper to allow for colonization of the Belt. But even when using these drives, humans have to deal with the crushing Gs caused by constant acceleration. (see the above scene with THE JUICE)

- They use sound effects in space scenes simply because it'd be weird without them :D

Five seasons of The Expanse are on Amazon Prime Video. Check it out!

-----

Share scenes from TV and movies that depict realistic (aka "Hard") sci-fi, and recommend media that depicts cool space scenes. Also please don't post any spoilers for The Expanse beyond, let's say the first 5 episodes or so. You can share short scenes from later episodes, but they better be no-context, and viewers should click links at their own peril. For that matter, don't spoil any other shows or movies too much ITT in case people want to check them out.

Share space scenes!

timp fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I just caught up on the book series The Expanse is based on and mostly enjoyed it. Fast paced, lots of action, the way they try to keep things at least vaguely grounded in science is fun. My chief complaints would be that sometimes one of the non-crew viewpoint characters in a book will just be totally uninteresting to me, which makes those chapters a slog even if the overall plot is cool. Like without getting into spoilers, was anyone thinking “gently caress YES, another 30 pages of Praxidike Meng being a totally helpless nerd wallowing in self pity!” every time he came around? There’s also some pretty egregious deus ex machinas handwaved away by alien technology but that’s kind of to be expected.

But yeah. Fun pop sci fi reads, would recommend.

I do wish they would get a bit more into the two alien civilizations instead of just giving the barest peeks. But maybe that’s for the best. Sometimes the series that spend a lot of time trying to rationally explain how magic works or whatever end up being the cringiest.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

If The Expanse wanted me to watch it there would be less James Holden in it

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Amos and Drummer are the best.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

timp posted:

There's only two physics things the show ignores:

- There's a sci-fi invention called the Epstein Drive that makes traveling through space much faster to allow for colonization of the Belt. But even when using these drives, humans have to deal with the crushing Gs caused by constant acceleration. (see the above scene with THE JUICE)

- They use sound effects in space scenes simply because it'd be weird without them :D

Some exterior scenes are almost without sound though

There's also bit more physics ignoring
reactionless drives, see: magic space rock (Eros, also the squid that became of it)
magic space portals
probably everything about magic space aliens, unless our physics is terribly wrong, in which case anything goes :shrug:

NickRoweFillea posted:

:same:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Pretty good TV show and it elevates its source material. The books fall apart imo the further along you get.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

I haven't been able to find if the later books were using the original RPG they were running as source material, does anyone know?

Edit: Kind of feel like all of season 4/book 4 existed because the players just ate a poo poo-ton of bad table rolls.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

There's also the whole physics-ignoring issue of 90% of the tension revolving around people not knowing where their enemies/friends are. This also ties into the idea of 'stealth' tech in space. Short answer: no, not happening - but also it's forgivably hand-wavey if it gets us a mostly-good space-show.
The same could be said for the relatively 'close range' of most of the depicted combat engagements (even if there's far less of these than one might expect from the show so far). I think it's mostly forgivable, though, as it plays into giving a watchable spectacle.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I liked the expanse less and less the more weird they got with alien tech, a solid in solar sci fi drama series is interesting enough, imho. But The books are well written and it took me like 4 or 5 in a row to burn out on it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
There are two threads about the Expanse:

This one's about the show itself. Do not post book spoilers here. Please don't try to even flirt with book spoilers here, like saying "If you think X is something, just wait and see what happens next season," many people will hate you.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906760

Then there's the book thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787256

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

gently caress dusters

emf
Aug 1, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

If The Expanse wanted me to watch it there would be less James Holden in it
I'm weak and watch it anyway, but yeah, it could do with a lot less of that character.

I liked S1 best when it was mostly a space noir.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I lost a lot of interest once Miller was no longer a central character, but I am a sucker for detective stories. Amos, Bobby, Ashford, and Drummer are great too, but not enough of them in the later seasons.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 27, 2021

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

I think you mean Miller.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Miller sucks, bunch of cool space stuff and there's a dude in a loving trilby pretending he's a detective in a 30's film noir.

Love the series though, just finished series 5. Nothing but respect for MY Secretary General

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

It is a good show and is surprisingly true to the books. I read the first few books before the show aired, and I was real surprised by the casting choice for Holden. I'd pictured him being a bit older.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Can I shout out to 2001: A Space Odyssey here? Too bad I'm gonna

This film still ranks among the most believable, realistic space scenes in film and they made it in 1967. Mind blowing. A friend of mine once said something like "in 200 years people will assume it was shot on location in space with a retro equipment aesthetic and wonder why it was only done in 2D"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

alnilam posted:

Can I shout out to 2001: A Space Odyssey here? Too bad I'm gonna

This film still ranks among the most believable, realistic space scenes in film and they made it in 1967. Mind blowing. A friend of mine once said something like "in 200 years people will assume it was shot on location in space with a retro equipment aesthetic and wonder why it was only done in 2D"

there’s totally going to be a fashion of space houses looking like those sets

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
The Martian is also great for space realism. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that there are goons who hate it for whatever reasons, but I quite enjoyed it in theaters.

Also I recently saw some new space movie with George Clooney called The Midnight Sky. I didn’t love it personally but there were a couple space walk scenes with some cool physics realism stuff.

Recommend some more cool space scenes in movies!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
calling the expanse hard sci fi is a stretch. maybe the setting the story begins in, but cmon. it has faster than light travel, stealth in space, aliens, and ghosts

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
getting into an argument about whether something is "hard" or "soft" scifi is the dumbest poo poo, it's all made up fairy tales

the day-to-day minutiae of it is generally believable which is more than you can say for, i dunno, the culture books

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
It has a lot of things that are unrealistic but it also isn't Star Wars and while I do like my Star Wars I'm glad something is finally starting to undo this idea that people have that if it's not Star Wars space dogfights it's automatically boring.

One of the unrealistic bits that is usually underappreciated by almost all hard sf - and I'm saying this as an observation of something that interests me, not as "IT'S WRONG!!!" - is the incredible amount of radiation that drives as powerful as scifi likes to have would put out. They would probably give you cancer from tens of thousands of kilometers away. The VISTA fusion rocket study recommended unshielded astronauts to be at least 36 000 km away, and that kind of relatively feasible fusion drive is pitifully low energy compared to the kind of drive you'd need to maintain 1 g accelerations for extended periods.

Any sufficiently powerful ship would have a large radiation exclusion zone around it, and space traffic control would have a hell of a time slotting them in in any location with heavy traffic. I think you'd likely have to leave them on high orbit and use shuttles with lower power engines to load and unload them. Past some point, if you have enough traffic, you might actually start having an appreciable effect on the ambient ionizing radiation levels in the solar system.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 4, 2021

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Engines like that would also double as powerful nuclear bombs, which more than anything else puts a damper on the "independent space trucker" and adjacent concepts necessary for fiction like Star Wars and The Expanse to tell their stories.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

mediaphage posted:

getting into an argument about whether something is "hard" or "soft" scifi is the dumbest poo poo, it's all made up fairy tales

the day-to-day minutiae of it is generally believable which is more than you can say for, i dunno, the culture books

I mean, isn't hard scifi just extrapolations of things that could exist, no matter how fanciful? Like Niven's Integral Trees, vs Culture's Luxury Automated Trans-at-will Space Communism.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

timp posted:

Recommend some more cool space scenes in movies!

It's lunar than spaceships, but Moon (2009) is an absolutely stunning film, and everyone should watch it.

My favorite space scenes are actually the Apollo archive bits from When We Left Earth. It's crazy to watch that stuff, everything looks so unnatural manoeuvring in space, which is an effect no fiction has ever been able to create for me.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

mediaphage posted:

oh for sure, it's all a spectrum with no clear demarcation between. and you're right, the expanse went to great lengths to make a lot of small details make sense in ways that lots of scifi doesn't bother with. like the politics especially and (what snippets we get of them) the depictions of the day to day lives of ordinary people are fascinating and often brilliant. miller's phone having a cracked screen was the first thing i remember being like "oh yeah, that would happen, poo poo would break and you'd make do because everything is scarce in the belt, that makes sense"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

Engines like that would also double as powerful nuclear bombs, which more than anything else puts a damper on the "independent space trucker" and adjacent concepts necessary for fiction like Star Wars and The Expanse to tell their stories.

not really, the exhaust is non-radioactive and the core is more like a fusor than a nuclear bomb

if nuclear reactors blew up like fat man then there wouldn't be anything left standing for miles around chernobyl

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

We're talking hypothetical real engines not specifically the magical drives the Expanse uses.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
We don't know what type of fusion the Epstein drives use and there are plenty of fusion schemes that do not generate significant numbers free neutrons; all their reaction products could be charged particles that can be directed out of the nozzle in a collimated beam, or shielded against with a magnetic field.

Yeah, you could still kill people with them, because the better a rocket engine is at being a rocket the better it is at being a weapon, but it's not necessarily going to be a lethal radiation hazard for people thousands of kilometers away. The VISTA rocket was specifically D:T fusion, which is definitely not aneutronic.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i read somewhere that the numbers and functionality of the rockets in the expanse like up sorta roughly with the hypothesized output of gas-core nuclear rockets, and those are, albiet barely, within known science. although the books do say they're magnetic-confinement fusion, so who knows

here's the atomic rockets writeup on it: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist3.php#id--Fusion--(_Epstein_Drive_)

also beware, atomic rockets is a serious time sink for anyone even a little interested in sci fi

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Conspiratiorist posted:

The Killing Star is not a good book but it does constantly reiterate that if you can get a vehicle moving at 0.9c, then its kinetic impact is about the same as an antimatter bomb of the same mass, so for any relativistic engine whether or not it's also a nuclear bomb is practically penny pinching.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Tulip posted:

The Killing Star is not a good book but it does constantly reiterate that if you can get a vehicle moving at 0.9c, then its kinetic impact is about the same as an antimatter bomb of the same mass, so for any relativistic engine whether or not it's also a nuclear bomb is practically penny pinching.

They don't get up to relativistic velocities in the Expanse. The engines are in the particular spot the writers wanted to give humanity access to the solar system, but not to interstellar travel.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Phanatic posted:

We don't know what type of fusion the Epstein drives use and there are plenty of fusion schemes that do not generate significant numbers free neutrons; all their reaction products could be charged particles that can be directed out of the nozzle in a collimated beam, or shielded against with a magnetic field.

Yeah, you could still kill people with them, because the better a rocket engine is at being a rocket the better it is at being a weapon, but it's not necessarily going to be a lethal radiation hazard for people thousands of kilometers away. The VISTA rocket was specifically D:T fusion, which is definitely not aneutronic.
There isn't really any reasonable fusion reaction that doesn't make a lot of nasty radiation. D-T fusion is the worst in this respect, D-He3 is better but still produces like 15% or something of its energy in those nasty fusion neutrons. Then you've got hydrogen-boron, also known as proton-boron fusion, which produces almost no neutrons, but instead produces a massive amount (just how much seems to be a current research problem) of high energy x-rays alongside those charged particles. It's also only borderline-maybe-possible, and it turns out that in terms of useful energy harnessable for propulsion vs. energy emitted as obnoxious radiation, it's only about as good as fission, and further its energy density is no better than fission.

There is a fun trick you might be able to pull with D-T fusion that might actually make it one of the best fusion schemes for space propulsion: Spin polarization. If you can align the spins in your fuel, then pretty much all the neutrons will be emitted in one direction - typically away from your ship. Means your ship absorbs a whole less radiation, and outside the turbo-death cone behind you you're also less dangerous to others.

Kazinsal posted:

not really, the exhaust is non-radioactive and the core is more like a fusor than a nuclear bomb

if nuclear reactors blew up like fat man then there wouldn't be anything left standing for miles around chernobyl
The exhaust may be more or less non-radioactive but the reaction itself is going to throw a ton of radiation all over. Very likely it's actually worse per unit yield than a nuclear bomb because fusion really isn't nice in this respect.

Also, these kinds of really powerful drives are less like a contained reactor and more like an uncontained nuclear explosion. It's just the nature of it regardless of the details of how it's done. If you want high isp and high thrust your power is high enough that it just can't really be fully contained. That said, you can also absolutely make a rocket that's just a nuclear reactor. That's called a nuclear thermal rocket, they work very well and we could be using them right now. Their performance is just way more limited than what you get with Expanse drives or even something much more realistic like the VISTA study I mentioned.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 7, 2021

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Elukka posted:

There isn't really any reasonable fusion reaction that doesn't make a lot of nasty radiation. D-T fusion is the worst in this respect, D-He3 is better but still produces like 15% or something of its energy in those nasty fusion neutrons. Then you've got hydrogen-boron, also known as proton-boron fusion, which produces almost no neutrons, but instead produces a massive amount of high energy x-rays alongside those charged particles.

p:b11 fusion doesn't produce those x-rays directly from the reaction itself, but from Bremsstrahlung losses in the plasma, which can theoretically be suppressed by a sufficiently strong magnetic field strength which I'm willing to let them handwave into existence. I agree that it's definitely a magic drive, though. The most practical high-thrust high-specific impulse stuff we're likely to come up with is nuclear pulse propulsion (which we could have had working decades ago if we wanted to) or a NSWR.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Phanatic posted:

p:b11 fusion doesn't produce those x-rays directly from the reaction itself, but from Bremsstrahlung losses in the plasma, which can theoretically be suppressed by a sufficiently strong magnetic field strength which I'm willing to let them handwave into existence. I agree that it's definitely a magic drive, though. The most practical high-thrust high-specific impulse stuff we're likely to come up with is nuclear pulse propulsion (which we could have had working decades ago if we wanted to) or a NSWR.
Definitely. Orion is pretty likely to work. NSWR is less certain, because there just hasn't been much work done on the feasibility of the concept, though I've heard there might be another paper coming out at some point. :ssh:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

The Revelation Space series by Alistair Reynolds is excellent science fiction. I would highly recommend picking those books up.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Glenn Quebec posted:

The Revelation Space series by Alistair Reynolds is excellent science fiction. I would highly recommend picking those books up.

I love how he hard commits to the speed of light as an absolute maximum travel speed and still makes interesting world spanning space operas.

His shorter stories are great too. There's some free online:

A Spy in Europa:
http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/europa.htm

Spirey and the Queen:
http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/spirey.htm

My favourite book from him, besides his short story collections, is the House of Suns.

Also, if you got Netflix, there's animated shorts based on 2 of his stories in a scifi-anthology: "Love, Death and Robots".
They're named 'Beyond the Aquila Rift' and 'Zuma Blue'. Both are great little stories.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 8, 2021

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

adhuin posted:

I love how he hard commits to the speed of light as an absolute maximum travel speed and still makes interesting world spanning space operas.

His shorter stories are great too. There's some free online:

A Spy in Europa:
http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/europa.htm

Spirey and the Queen:
http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/spirey.htm

My favourite book from him, besides his short story collections, is the House of Suns.

Also, if you got Netflix, there's animated shorts based on 2 of his stories in a scifi-anthology: "Love, Death and Robots".
They're named 'Beyond the Aquila Rift' and 'Zuma Blue'. Both are great little stories.

I enjoyed his books better than the Expanse, tbh. I would also recommend Blindsight and Echopraxia by ?? Watts? Something Watts. They are really interesting and not as far future as Alistair Reynolds. They are kind of the same book, Echopraxia being the sequel.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Peter Watts

Pretty dark stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I just finished The Forever War by Joe Haldeman and thought it was pretty good (although pretty dated in some respects, to be expected since it was written in 1974). Haldeman has a physics background so the book has a fair bit of realistic-ish physics. There is some handwaviness around collapsars (stargates) and some advanced tech, but nothing super-magical as in Star Wars.

Special relativity is a huge plot driver. The strike forces still have to cover huge distances at significant fractions of the speed of light. This affects military strategy and really fucks with the troops, who come home hundreds of years after they left (this is all on the back cover so I'm not revealing too much). Haldeman is a Vietnam vet and the book is basically an allegory for the Vietnam war, so you can see how that fits, but it's an enjoyable read even not knowing that.