Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 18, 2007

Everything is in my control

Lipstick Apathy

If you like space (and you probably do if you're in this subforum) you really should check out the TV show The Expanse!

Here are some worldbuilding highlights:

- Takes place in 2350
- Traveling through space is pretty common and people schlep all around it on the reg
- Humans have colonized Mars and it is now its own independent state called the Martian Congressional Republic, or MCR
- The asteroid belt and moons of outer planets have also been colonized, mostly for mining, and are collectively referred to as The Belt
- Earth, Mars, and The Belt all sort of hate each other

It has its own thread here if you want to get into it but the headline is this: The Expanse features a lot of really cool scenes in space that actually respect Newtonian physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bue6keWmJmQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryrGPjyKhO4

There's only two physics things the show ignores:

- There's a sci-fi invention called the Epstein Drive that makes traveling through space much faster to allow for colonization of the Belt. But even when using these drives, humans have to deal with the crushing Gs caused by constant acceleration. (see the above scene with THE JUICE)

- They use sound effects in space scenes simply because it'd be weird without them

Five seasons of The Expanse are on Amazon Prime Video. Check it out!

-----

Share scenes from TV and movies that depict realistic (aka "Hard") sci-fi, and recommend media that depicts cool space scenes. Also please don't post any spoilers for The Expanse beyond, let's say the first 5 episodes or so. You can share short scenes from later episodes, but they better be no-context, and viewers should click links at their own peril. For that matter, don't spoil any other shows or movies too much ITT in case people want to check them out.

Share space scenes!

timp fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I just caught up on the book series The Expanse is based on and mostly enjoyed it. Fast paced, lots of action, the way they try to keep things at least vaguely grounded in science is fun. My chief complaints would be that sometimes one of the non-crew viewpoint characters in a book will just be totally uninteresting to me, which makes those chapters a slog even if the overall plot is cool. Like without getting into spoilers, was anyone thinking “gently caress YES, another 30 pages of Praxidike Meng being a totally helpless nerd wallowing in self pity!” every time he came around? There’s also some pretty egregious deus ex machinas handwaved away by alien technology but that’s kind of to be expected.

But yeah. Fun pop sci fi reads, would recommend.

I do wish they would get a bit more into the two alien civilizations instead of just giving the barest peeks. But maybe that’s for the best. Sometimes the series that spend a lot of time trying to rationally explain how magic works or whatever end up being the cringiest.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

If The Expanse wanted me to watch it there would be less James Holden in it

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Amos and Drummer are the best.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

timp posted:

There's only two physics things the show ignores:

- There's a sci-fi invention called the Epstein Drive that makes traveling through space much faster to allow for colonization of the Belt. But even when using these drives, humans have to deal with the crushing Gs caused by constant acceleration. (see the above scene with THE JUICE)

- They use sound effects in space scenes simply because it'd be weird without them

Some exterior scenes are almost without sound though

There's also bit more physics ignoring
reactionless drives, see: magic space rock (Eros, also the squid that became of it)
magic space portals
probably everything about magic space aliens, unless our physics is terribly wrong, in which case anything goes

NickRoweFillea posted:

Glenn Quebec
Oct 30, 2005

That's because our downstream reality reflects an upstream case but I'm going to violate it.

Pretty good TV show and it elevates its source material. The books fall apart imo the further along you get.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

I haven't been able to find if the later books were using the original RPG they were running as source material, does anyone know?

Edit: Kind of feel like all of season 4/book 4 existed because the players just ate a poo poo-ton of bad table rolls.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

There's also the whole physics-ignoring issue of 90% of the tension revolving around people not knowing where their enemies/friends are. This also ties into the idea of 'stealth' tech in space. Short answer: no, not happening - but also it's forgivably hand-wavey if it gets us a mostly-good space-show.
The same could be said for the relatively 'close range' of most of the depicted combat engagements (even if there's far less of these than one might expect from the show so far). I think it's mostly forgivable, though, as it plays into giving a watchable spectacle.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I liked the expanse less and less the more weird they got with alien tech, a solid in solar sci fi drama series is interesting enough, imho. But The books are well written and it took me like 4 or 5 in a row to burn out on it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

There are two threads about the Expanse:

This one's about the show itself. Do not post book spoilers here. Please don't try to even flirt with book spoilers here, like saying "If you think X is something, just wait and see what happens next season," many people will hate you.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906760

Then there's the book thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787256

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

gently caress dusters

emf
Jul 31, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

If The Expanse wanted me to watch it there would be less James Holden in it
I'm weak and watch it anyway, but yeah, it could do with a lot less of that character.

I liked S1 best when it was mostly a space noir.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I lost a lot of interest once Miller was no longer a central character, but I am a sucker for detective stories. Amos, Bobby, Ashford, and Drummer are great too, but not enough of them in the later seasons.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

I think you mean Miller.