Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Uranus and Neptune always seem slightly special to me because despite looking pretty boring compared to Jupiter. I just like that they seem to actually have something akin to a "surface", even if it would probably be a crazy hot "ocean" possibly including crazy things like giant diamonds. That always seemed cooler to me than Jupiter or Saturn being just being gas all the way down.(Even if metallic hydrogen might be kinda cool)

Presto posted:

I remember Uranus being kind of a letdown. Jupiter and Saturn had gotten everyone used to exciting pictures of roiling atmospheres and complex ring systems, and then Voyager 2 gets to Uranus and the planet is like "hello :geno:".

If I recall, it's been theorized that Uranus happened to be in an extra boring period weather wise and typically has a bit more going on than it did when voyager 2 visited it. The hubble pictures seem to show cloud formations and storms, but obviously in much less detail than a probe would have seen on encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU