Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Uranus is the planet where I'd like to know just wtf happened. It's rolling on its side, the magnetic axis is way off from the spin axis and doesn't even go through the center of the planet, and whatever is powering the atmosphere dynamics on the other big planets is kaput.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

mediaphage posted:

presumably it got smacked by an ice planet

I know but drat, that would've been something to see.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Salt Fish posted:

It's pretty crazy that voyager 2 is the only spacecraft to visit uranus. Most of the pictures I think are from hubble.
I remember Uranus being kind of a letdown. Jupiter and Saturn had gotten everyone used to exciting pictures of roiling atmospheres and complex ring systems, and then Voyager 2 gets to Uranus and the planet is like "hello :geno:".

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Yeah, I did some googling and it seems like there's a lot more going on now in the atmosphere than in 1986.