Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i am the yospos ham radio dude and my two big things are satellites and meteor scatter.

* the entry level space radio stunt is always picking up the ISS. They have a huge electrical power budget so rather than having to try to pick up a 100 milliwatt cubesat signal, you can sit back with a $30 baofeng and receive slow scan TV images one weekend a month from the ISS because they use like a 50 watt radio.

* a bunch of universities have low earth orbit satellites up that you can get on with a fairly cheap setup. i can hit all of them no problem with my home setup, so it's almost too easy to be really exciting. sometimes i do get on to give some newbies a contact though.

* for the meteor scatter stuff, its more involved but the general idea is that when meteors hit the atmosphere at the correct angle they will create an ionized trail behind them that lasts like 300 milliseconds. we scream high speed digital data into the sky towards expected meteor hits and have somebody patiently listening on the other side. when a trail shows up they get a tiny packet of data with our call sign and then they start yelling back towards us and we patiently listen till another meteor shows up and we get our reply. do this two times on each end and it's a loggable contact and counts towards your awards or whatever.

Earth gets enough meteors that this is something you can do 365 mornings a year - generally 3am-7am local time - but obviously its much easier to do during the perseids or whatever. it usually takes between ten and thirty minutes to get the four transmissions back and forth on normal days. during showers it'll be over in 60 seconds

* the gold standard of ham radio space poo poo is moonbounce. aim a big antenna and fire a bunch of RF power at the moon, and somebody else listens for your mouse fart signal bouncing back. i havent been successful in this yet but have most of the gear for it.

ama about SPACE RADIO. also, gently caress starlink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

This is very interesting. How do I get started and do you have any links to information? Also why donít you like star link?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So for meteor scatter, what type of antenna are you using? Are you doing directional at a certain part of the sky and hoping to hear from people in a specific place? Or just using an omni and blasting as much power as possible everywhere?

Speaking of power, what even are the options for high powered VHF rigs? Are people doing power amps on mobile rigs? There don't seem to be a ton of common VHF base stations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Modulo16 posted:

This is very interesting. How do I get started and do you have any links to information? Also why donít you like star link?

https://www.amsat.org/ is the big organization that coordinates satellite ham stuff. lots of interesting news and articles on there.

Starlink is bad because it's basically a giant space firehose that is chucking mass amounts of trash in orbit that happen to provide lovely internet for a year or two. the satellite strings are ruining terrestrial astronomy too.

Twerk from Home posted:

So for meteor scatter, what type of antenna are you using? Are you doing directional at a certain part of the sky and hoping to hear from people in a specific place? Or just using an omni and blasting as much power as possible everywhere?

Speaking of power, what even are the options for high powered VHF rigs? Are people doing power amps on mobile rigs? There don't seem to be a ton of common VHF base stations.

For the scatter stuff on 50 MHz, I use a small 2-element "yagi" antenna on a 20 foot pole in my yard. As i'm in Denver, the best chance of me getting contacts is with east coast folks, so I just aim it east (it's not that directional, covers everything from WI to TX i'd say).

I use a couple of 100 watt radios for my space hijinks - an Icom 7300 (for the 50 MHz band) and a 9700 (for 144, 432 and 1296 MHz). Big amps are common but not strictly necessary. I've bounced off rock trails and confirmed contacts in at least 17 states over the past year or two, and many repeat contacts. Nice to see the old fellas on day after day - they're just sipping their coffee and clicking buttons, and we're all having a great time.