Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
could also use the poles of mercury as a settlement site. more than enough ice for humans, plenty of solar energy to snag while we hide out in the craters and caves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
mars red and broke
venus green and woke

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Oh yeah, I did mean surviving on the surface, not just landing on it. I was going to call it a pressure cooker, but it looks like conditions inside pressure cookers are much milder than conditions on Venus.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The longest duration a probe has survived on the surface of Venus was about two hours. That was Venera 13.

Venera 14 lasted about half that. In a big oops, Venera 14 had a probe arm that was supposed to swing down and sample the soil. The arm did swing down, and instead sampled the probe's jettisoned camera lens cap.

Anyway, here's what Venus sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jZDW53U8qQ

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I would assume there'd be a few centuries of extremophile life converting that carbon dioxide atmosphere into dirt/plant life/etc before humans could ever walk the surface.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Seriously extremophile because there's hardly any water at all. It's not just that it had water, which then evaporated and is now in the atmosphere, even the atmosphere has basically no water. You'd have to crash a bunch of comets into the thing to even make a difference.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Why do the probes fail so fast on Venus? Is it just because we haven't developed materials yet that can withstand more than a few hours in the 800 degree acid oven of Venus?

Mars must be the easier goal for now.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Who gives a poo poo about the surface?

Nothing is ever going to live on it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

DropsySufferer posted:

Why do the probes fail so fast on Venus? Is it just because we haven't developed materials yet that can withstand more than a few hours in the 800 degree acid oven of Venus?

Don't forget 90 atmospheres of pressure.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hell yeah, let's smash a bunch of comets into it.

Can't the extremophiles live in the atmosphere?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

DropsySufferer posted:

Mars must be the easier goal for now.

We also haven't really bothered trying in decades

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Venus is covered in a dense and extremely toxic fog which resonates deeply with me on an emotional level.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Phanatic posted:

Don't forget 90 atmospheres of pressure.

So you're telling me there isn't going to be a Venus colony for a while :(

I played surviving Mars recently a fun game where you terraform Mars. Now I'm imaging terraforming Venus would a 100 times harder.How would the greenhouse gasses be dealt with to begin with.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DropsySufferer posted:

I played surviving Mars recently a fun game where you terraform Mars. Now I'm imaging terraforming Venus would a 100 times harder.How would the greenhouse gasses be dealt with to begin with.

they wouldn’t we would live in cloud cities

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DropsySufferer posted:

Surviving Mars is a real fun game I love but its terraforming is basically magic. Even ignoring that it badly underestimates the difficulty of dealing with sub sub sub microscopic dust and food grown in Martian dirt/Martian rainfall would be chock full of perchlorates, the effects of which science currently describes as "we're not sure but probably bad". Colonising Venus with aerostats would be easier if only because nobody would be expecting to be able to go outside.

Of course europa is where it's really at :v:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 25, 2021

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Fun fact: Venus' surface is relatively young, probably because "catastrophic resurfacing event" happened there, which as far as I remember from some old documentary is like a giant planet-wide volcano, or many many volcanoes across the surface over short period or time
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodynamics_of_Venus

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DropsySufferer posted:

Now I'm imaging terraforming Venus would a 100 times harder.How would the greenhouse gasses be dealt with to begin with.

I think it's mostly carbon dioxide. Some kind of moss, or lichen that would breath the atmosphere taking the carbon to make organic compounds and releasing the oxygen might work?

It'd take centuries though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

I think it's mostly carbon dioxide. Some kind of moss, or lichen that would breath the atmosphere taking the carbon to make organic compounds and releasing the oxygen might work?

It'd take centuries though.

yeah it's like 97% CO2. the big problem with using biologics as i understand it is finding a way to get or make water for them. there's practically none.

personally i'm pro going and stealing enceladus and just throwing it at venus

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Mmm enchiladas

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mediaphage posted:

yeah it's like 97% CO2. the big problem with using biologics as i understand it is finding a way to get or make water for them. there's practically none.

personally i'm pro going and stealing enceladus and just throwing it at venus

Yeah, we'd have to throw a bunch of ice onto it. I wonder if it would all just evaporate and make a giant cloud over the planet dropping the temperature?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
It's weird how I had no idea we had images of Venus's surface until like five-ish years ago, especially considering it's arguably more exotic and interesting than Mars. I can't help but suspect they got downplayed at the time because of cold war bullshit and eventually forgotten about by the public at large.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It's weird how I had no idea we had images of Venus's surface until like five-ish years ago, especially considering it's arguably more exotic and interesting than Mars. I can't help but suspect they got downplayed at the time because of cold war bullshit and eventually forgotten about by the public at large.

Did you know about Titan?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, we'd have to throw a bunch of ice onto it. I wonder if it would all just evaporate and make a giant cloud over the planet dropping the temperature?

Water vapor is also a greenhouse gas.

Adding more gas to Venus's atmosphere is not going to help, you need to get CO2 out. So just get together a few septillion tons of calcium and magnesium and drop it on Venus, and it'll sequester all that CO2 as carbonates.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Bloody posted:

It is scientifically pretty useless too

orbhabs now

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Phanatic posted:

Adding more gas to Venus's atmosphere is not going to help, you need to get CO2 out. So just get together a few septillion tons of calcium and magnesium and drop it on Venus, and it'll sequester all that CO2 as carbonates.

So how much should I ask for on kickstarter?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Phanatic posted:

Asteroid mining is our future jobs program.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mars hid all the gross poison poo poo like a beta planet while Venus just rear end blasted our probes with it on the first encounter.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Colonising Venus seems pointless. Like the only reason we would is time's running out on Earth and

- if it's cause of our poo poo we won't have the capacity
- if it's a billion years later and us trying to get off earth cause the suns gonna swamp it Venus isn't an option anymore

If we're gonna mine it why not just send robots.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Depends on the time scale. If we can launch an asteroid/comet into venus, and drop engineered organisms on occasion that'll make it more "livable" in a few hundred years it might be worth it in the future to just have another planet we can live on.

I don't know what the research will show, but I just think that low gravity places like Mars are going to be too big of a problem to overcome ever.

As posted above, we could absolutely build floating cities on Venus right now. The atmosphere is so thick that literal metal structures will float on it.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing about human exploration of Venus, and arguably the solar system, is the Pioneer Venus project, specifically the Multiprobe.

Essentially, the Pioneer Venus mission was a two part mission. It consisted of an orbiter and a multiprobe which was "bus" containing 3 small atmospheric probes and 1 large atmospheric probes. A few weeks prior to reaching Venus, the bus released it's large probe and the smaller probes released 4 days later. The orbiter arrived a few days before the probes, having been launched earlier, and entered an elliptical orbit around Venus. They all reached the planet on the same day, Dec 9th, 1978. Each probe was aimed at a different location on the planet.

The bus itself was even aimed to enter the atmosphere at a high angle and collect data, essentially acting as a 5th probe until it was destroyed by atmospheric friction. The small probes probes had no parachutes, unlike the large probe, but all 4 had aeroshells designed to protect them during entry. The large probe's aeroshell was designed to detach when the parachute deployed, while the smaller ones would remain on until impact. None were designed to survive the impact as even the large probe was designed to detach the parachute above ground. All 4 probes successfully operated until hitting the ground.

However, one of the small probes even survived landing and returned data for an hour on the surface. Likely owing the thick atmosphere slowing the probes down to as low as 1 m/s. So despite never really planning to do so, the US actually successfully landed a probe on Venus and returned data from the surface.

Overall it was very successful mission that I never really heard about until I was digging around in old space missions. I like to describe it as shooting a shotgun full of probes at Venus.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

commando in tophat posted:

Did you know about Titan?

I think I did but then forgot about it. So maybe that's what happened to everyone with Venus, too, haha.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Way too many educational materials base their depiction of Venus on radar-based geographical images that not only look ugly but give a false impression of what it looks like in orbit.

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 26, 2021

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Is there a good reason to go to Venus, apart from cool science things? It seems like it's a huge ball of hot acid vapors that will actively try to murder anything that gets too close. Sure, we could make some cool sky cities, but is there a point to that other than cramming more humans into the solar system?

I'm already super skeptical of putting humans on Mars, this just seems like that but worse.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

blastron posted:

Is there a good reason to go to Venus, apart from cool science things? It seems like it's a huge ball of hot acid vapors that will actively try to murder anything that gets too close. Sure, we could make some cool sky cities, but is there a point to that other than cramming more humans into the solar system?

I'm already super skeptical of putting humans on Mars, this just seems like that but worse.

I'd say that cool science things is the only reason to go anywhere outside of earth. It would be way easier and cheaper to colonize Antarctica or Sahara if you really need to put more humans somewhere

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

blastron posted:

Is there a good reason to go to Venus, apart from cool science things? It seems like it's a huge ball of hot acid vapors that will actively try to murder anything that gets too close.
Sounds like my ex wife![/boomer comedian]

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Yeah imo Venus is just full of cool untapped science opportunity. Space colonization is a complete farce for the foreseeable future, beyond like a amundson-scott like moon outpost

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Splicer posted:

Of course europa is where it's really at :v:

I have it on good authority that we can't land on Europa. Something about it not belonging to us...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Iirc the clouds on Venus are 25% water

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Iirc the clouds on Venus are 25% water

no, i don't think so. venus has like 20ppm water. it's lost all but like a tenth of a percent of any water it had. the clouds are mostly just sulfuric acid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Is there any scientific consensus on whether Venus's axial tilt is 2.7° or really 177.3°? Latter seems more likely, given its rotation?