Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Is there any scientific consensus on whether Venus's axial tilt is 2.7° or really 177.3°? Latter seems more likely, given its rotation?

The main reason I think its that its much harder for Venus to have a 177.3 degree tilt than it would be for just spinning backwards. I also remember reading theories that Venus used to spin in the opposite direction but its winds were blowing so strongly that it caused the planet to eventually spin backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

DropsySufferer posted:

Why do the probes fail so fast on Venus? Is it just because we haven't developed materials yet that can withstand more than a few hours in the 800 degree acid oven of Venus?

Mars must be the easier goal for now.

So, we actually don't know how long the Venera probes actually lasted on the surface of Venus. The reason they "failed" so fast is because the relay "orbiter" went over the horizon and lost radio contact with the probes.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Communist Zombie posted:

The main reason I think its that its much harder for Venus to have a 177.3 degree tilt than it would be for just spinning backwards.

Right hand rule. 177.3° is the correct tilt much like Uranus is 97.8° in the very same image.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

blastron posted:

Is there a good reason to go to Venus, apart from cool science things? It seems like it's a huge ball of hot acid vapors that will actively try to murder anything that gets too close. Sure, we could make some cool sky cities, but is there a point to that other than cramming more humans into the solar system?

I'm already super skeptical of putting humans on Mars, this just seems like that but worse.

Extreme hazard planets are the best places to find rare elements to mine with your multitool. Just keep an eye on your life support, and recharge your hazard mods as needed.

Stephen King wrote a short story (I Am The Doorway, from the Night Shift collection) about a manned mission to orbit Venus, get lots of measurements and photos, and come back to Earth. Spoiler alert, things didn't go well... The manned probe crashed on re-entry, killing 1 astronaut, and paralyzing the other from the waist down. He retires, and all seems fine for a bit, before eyeballs form on his fingertips.
These eyes act as Doorways between the host, and some alien intelligence watching everything, and learning. The astronaut wakes up to find himself holding his fingers out to examine things around his home, and he feels revulsion and hate of humanity from the alien life watching.
A local boy sees the astronaut's secret eyes, and the alien life moves to protect its secrecy, by piloting the astronaut's disabled body like a machine, and killing the child. Astronaut shows the eyes to a close friend, who runs when the Alien mind becomes hostile, and pulls lightning from the sky to kill the second witness. While the alien life is worn out from the exertion, Astro douses his hands in kerosene, and burns his hands off in the fireplace.
All seems ok after a while. Until the Astronaut wakes up with a ring of eyes in the middle of his chest. Then he uses his hook hands to load a shotgun, and gets ready to solve his problem permanently.

Anywho, Venus has made it pretty clear that if it were a house, there'd be a Trespassers Will Be Shot sign out front, along with several large, hungry dogs. We should take the hint.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

mediaphage posted:

no, i don't think so. venus has like 20ppm water. it's lost all but like a tenth of a percent of any water it had. the clouds are mostly just sulfuric acid.

Racist slander

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

let's take half of venus's atmosphere and put it on mars. this will solve all our problems

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Stexils posted:

let's take half of venus's atmosphere and put it on mars. this will solve all our problems

Unfortunately MegaMaid is out of commission

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Stexils posted:

OK so everyone breathe in real hard next time we pass Venus but we need to time it right so we've gone past before the gas hits.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

actionjackson posted:

which is the planet where there are constant giant storms with winds over 1000 mph? The storms are like the size of the US or bigger

Earth in like 20 years

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Venus rhymes with penis. Hilarious. This makes it the second funniest planet.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

actionjackson posted:

which is the planet where there are constant giant storms with winds over 1000 mph? The storms are like the size of the US or bigger

Also Neptune, it has a Great Dark Spot / storm similar to Jupiter's, and winds greater than 1300 MPH were recorded by Voyager 2 when it did a flyby.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Why don't we just out a giant tube in the Venusian atmosphere and let all the clouds get sucked into space so we can see what it's really like on that planet

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

low key sex master posted:

Why don't we just out a giant tube in the Venusian atmosphere and let all the clouds get sucked into space so we can see what it's really like on that planet

pretty difficult. you'd be better off hitting it with 2000 700km asteroids or installing a bunch of mass drivers on balloons

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Unfortunately MegaMaid is out of commission

gently caress, even in the future nothing works!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I was looking at the apollo application program today and I honestly think a venus flyby wouldn't be the worst idea.

Jows
May 8, 2002

When I was a little kid I always wondered why scientists didn't just build a giant laser to shoot all the clouds off Venus.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

It's because it wouldn't work

Jows
May 8, 2002

Yeah but what if it was really big

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Still wouldn't

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
You could make a sun powered laser with an orbiting system of mirrors using the corona as a lazing medium and vaporize Venus in the span of a week.

Jows
May 8, 2002

But the planet is good. The clouds are bad.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Binary Badger posted:

Also Neptune, it has a Great Dark Spot / storm similar to Jupiter's, and winds greater than 1300 MPH were recorded by Voyager 2 when it did a flyby.

Apparently Great Dark Spots dissipate and reappear every few years, unlike the Great Red Spot which has been going for at least a few centuries (yeah, that storm is the same one Galileo stared at).

Also the Ice Giants are so insanely understudied, and it kills me that more attention isn't paid to them. Voyager 2 shot by them forty years ago, and that's all the human effort paid toward looking at them.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Lamebot posted:

You could make a sun powered laser with an orbiting system of mirrors using the corona as a lazing medium and vaporize Venus in the span of a week.

can we do this to pluto instead

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

can we do this to pluto instead

pluto is a dog, a simple club will do the job.
please stay on topic, this is planet chat.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Wipfmetz posted:

pluto is a dog, a simple club will do the job.
please stay on topic, this is planet chat.

excellent point

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Lamebot posted:

can we do this with a really big club instead?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Wipfmetz posted:

can we do this with a really big club instead?

i think this is a job for mega maid

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i think this is a job for mega maid

But your Mega Maid is out of commission!
We need a reliable solution for this issue, and we need it _now_.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Apparently Great Dark Spots dissipate and reappear every few years, unlike the Great Red Spot which has been going for at least a few centuries (yeah, that storm is the same one Galileo stared at).

Also the Ice Giants are so insanely understudied, and it kills me that more attention isn't paid to them. Voyager 2 shot by them forty years ago, and that's all the human effort paid toward looking at them.

Well, they've devoted quite a bit of time to peep Uranus on the Hubble..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=612gSZsplpE

Along with a bunch of some ground studies, but I agree it's high time we took a closer look at Uranus

China already has plans to launch their own probe there in 2046

Right now the window for Jovian gravity assists has closed up until 2030 or so..

NASA has no concrete plans for anything, ESA might launch an orbiter in 2026.. might...

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Binary Badger posted:

Along with a bunch of some ground studies, but I agree it's high time we took a closer look at Uranus

Right now the window for Jovian gravity assists has closed up until 2030 or so..

NASA has no concrete plans for anything, ESA might launch an orbiter in 2026.. might...

Wow, there is a lot of poo poo around Uranus. But seriously, that video is great

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

how about you peep my anus on the hubble

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Well theres the Trident proposal thats under consideration for the Discovery Program, which will send a flyby probe to Neptune and Titan to do an (apparently) almost full mapping of the moon, plus some other science.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Communist Zombie posted:

Well theres the Trident proposal thats under consideration for the Discovery Program, which will send a flyby probe to Neptune and Titan to do an (apparently) almost full mapping of the moon, plus some other science.

Let's go to both imo

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.

Communist Zombie posted:

Did you mean Triton? Titan orbits Saturn.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, wouldn't make any sense to make a probe that heads out to Neptune then doubles back to Saturn to look at one of its moons.. the delta V would be enormous

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Yea I meant Triton. <_>

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I want a venus blimp. :(

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
The phenomenon known as the Belt of Venus is my favourite Venus although I don't really know what the relationship is.

Phanatic posted:

The longest duration a probe has survived on the surface of Venus was about two hours. That was Venera 13.

Venera 14 lasted about half that. In a big oops, Venera 14 had a probe arm that was supposed to swing down and sample the soil. The arm did swing down, and instead sampled the probe's jettisoned camera lens cap.

Anyway, here's what Venus sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jZDW53U8qQ

Is this just the sound of the microphone malfunctioning being devoured by acid and wind or does Venus actually sound like violently escaping gasses.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

The Real Amethyst posted:

The phenomenon known as the Belt of Venus is my favourite Venus although I don't really know what the relationship is.

Is this just the sound of the microphone malfunctioning being devoured by acid and wind or does Venus actually sound like violently escaping gasses.

actually that is what Uranus sounds like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

spacetoaster posted:

I like Venus. I think it's probably the only real chance we have to kinda terraform another planet.

It's got near Earth gravity and a magnetosphere. I think the very low gravity, and lack of magnetosphere are going to make Mars untenable.

Low gravity MAYBE. But we can fake a magnetosphere.

Hell, we can fake gravity if we really wanted to.