Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bloody posted:

Mars has basically the worst case atmosphere of enough to have to worry about but not enough to really take advantage of

Venus, by contrast, has an excellent aerobraking atmosphere. Apart from all of the acid.

the coolest thing about putting floating colonies on venus is how earthlike - admittedly, barring the whole acid cloud thing - it is. towards the top of the clouds, pressure and temperature are earth normal. thanks to the atmospheric density, human breathable gases are lifting gases with about half the power of helium on earth. since the pressure is equalized, any tears or rips in a colony dome wouldn't be immediately catastrophic - you'd just have gases slowly diffusing out. and humans outside of protected spaces wouldn't need to wear pressure suits, just an environmental suit to protect against acid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

there’s an esa satellite doing a very close flyby of venus this fall in a gravity assist on its way to mercury; it’ll be interesting to see if they can pick up anything.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Venus has no magnetosphere. You can mitigate that with buildings on Mars.

And about 40% Earth gravity is considerable. We don’t have a good handle on how much gravity you need to avoid turning people into invalids, other than “somewhere between zero and 1 G.)

moon base will help with that, hopefully.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

could also use the poles of mercury as a settlement site. more than enough ice for humans, plenty of solar energy to snag while we hide out in the craters and caves

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DropsySufferer posted:

So you're telling me there isn't going to be a Venus colony for a while :(

I played surviving Mars recently a fun game where you terraform Mars. Now I'm imaging terraforming Venus would a 100 times harder.How would the greenhouse gasses be dealt with to begin with.

they wouldn’t we would live in cloud cities

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

I think it's mostly carbon dioxide. Some kind of moss, or lichen that would breath the atmosphere taking the carbon to make organic compounds and releasing the oxygen might work?

It'd take centuries though.

yeah it's like 97% CO2. the big problem with using biologics as i understand it is finding a way to get or make water for them. there's practically none.

personally i'm pro going and stealing enceladus and just throwing it at venus

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Iirc the clouds on Venus are 25% water

no, i don't think so. venus has like 20ppm water. it's lost all but like a tenth of a percent of any water it had. the clouds are mostly just sulfuric acid.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

low key sex master posted:

Why don't we just out a giant tube in the Venusian atmosphere and let all the clouds get sucked into space so we can see what it's really like on that planet

pretty difficult. you'd be better off hitting it with 2000 700km asteroids or installing a bunch of mass drivers on balloons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Wipfmetz posted:

can we do this with a really big club instead?

i think this is a job for mega maid