Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose Your Warrior
Sci-Fi
Fantasy
View Results

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Royal Updog posted:

Kirk is basically a Dragonrider of Pern WRT The Enterprise if you think on it

So basically he kept getting horny because the Enterprise was?

Mooey Cow posted:

I think it would be foolish to make "wrong or improbable by current concensus" the criteria to make something one or the other. By that measure "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" was fantasy when it came out because giant squids were questionable, and then became sci-fi decades later when whole specimen were found. And then it becomes fantasy again when you read it in French because there it's an octopus, not a squid.

Also plenty of sci-fi that used outdated science that I would be reluctant to suddenly consign to fantasy, like the stories that used to think Mercury didn't rotate and the like.

indigi posted:

we haven't observed anything with mass moving at or beyond light speed in a vacuum and it's incompatible with most physical theories of the universe. even workaround solutions to this limit don't function unless you find theoretical poo poo like exotic matter with negative mass, or they learn something about the casmir effect that allows it to fulfill the same role.

that said I don't think it's necessarily in the realm of fantasy to imagine this will always remain true, whether through a scientific discovery, breakthrough, or something really weird like the false vacuum collapsing to a slightly lower energy state where the only thing that changes is the speed of light. but even that would probably only propagate at the speed of light so you'd still be limited in how far you could travel that quickly.

I always heard it as "general relativity, causality, FTL: pick two" (I've seen people demonstrate the math that shows information spreading FTL fucks up cause and effect enough to believe it, but I couldn't explain it myself if I tried). Usually most FTL settings seem to take the "general relativity is wrong" approach, I wonder how many have tossed causality out the window instead and said "sure, it's time travel"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU