Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Speaking of reporting, the dynamic between Lois and her editor/partner has gotten kind of ridiculous. I know they played up the distrust angle last season when Lois was keeping secrets, and that was fine, but Lois continues to seem weirdly deferential to her even as she constantly attacks Lois' journalistic ethics and credibility. They're playing it now like she's actually Lois' boss who's doing her some big favor by allowing Lois to work at her rinky-dink newspaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ShakeZula posted:

Speaking of reporting, the dynamic between Lois and her editor/partner has gotten kind of ridiculous. I know they played up the distrust angle last season when Lois was keeping secrets, and that was fine, but Lois continues to seem weirdly deferential to her even as she constantly attacks Lois' journalistic ethics and credibility. They're playing it now like she's actually Lois' boss who's doing her some big favor by allowing Lois to work at her rinky-dink newspaper.

In a show with aliens and superpowers, the most implausible thing is that a Pulitzer-winning journalist who's gotten about two dozen stories of the century before her 40s can't run an independent news site/blog and has to slum it at the Back Country Citizen.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ShakeZula posted:

I'll say it: the show should've gone back to Metropolis for s2. All the Smallville related poo poo sucks rear end.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

In a show with aliens and superpowers, the most implausible thing is that a Pulitzer-winning journalist who's gotten about two dozen stories of the century before her 40s can't run an independent news site/blog and has to slum it at the Back Country Citizen.

https://www.theonion.com/economically-healthy-daily-planet-now-most-unrealistic-1819573610

I am reminded of this classic Onion article.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

McSpanky posted:

It's actually one of the things that the comics have actually done an OK job with, having Lois have more switched to long form stuff like books covering stories in greater depth, with occasional prestige stories in the paper.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

McSpanky posted:

Especially since we've seen Iris West turn her blog into one of the top media organizations in the country with a staff of like 4 people.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I mean that was a little overboard by Clark, but he's not wrong.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Season 2 of S&L is good.
Like that the douchebag DEO general shows how restrained Sam Lane was.
Hoping that Lucy Lane showing up in the next episode or so will redirect any upcoming John Henry Irons/Lois Lane drama.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wait, Doomsday is really Bizarro??

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
No, it's just Bizarro. they just dressed him up like Doomsday to fool us.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

howe_sam posted:

Wait, Doomsday is really Bizarro??

I’m both happy and pissed. Happy because there’s no way it would have lived up to my expectation. Pissed because they fooled me. And doubly so because they pulled a fast one with the Lex/Irons reveal.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Oh Jordan. Red cheeked little super-puppy. When Sara finds out she is going to rip you apart.

Oh Jonathan. Getting schooled by Nat ( offscreen )really was the last straw huh.

I have no idea what zombie superman says, whatever they do to the voice is incomprehensible to me.

It's nice to see Lois as the gentle presence for a change. Clark losing control was quite freaky because he's usually so soft. Though I would have suggested "outside" to the kids and not upstairs with an angry superman in the house.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Sloth Life posted:

I have no idea what zombie superman says, whatever they do to the voice is incomprehensible to me.

Apparently he's talking in reverse (literally). If you play his speech back in reverse it sounds normal. Interesting twist on the Bizarro character.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

For a moment, I thought they were going to have the Clark we've been following be the Bizarro Superman, and that's why he's been falling apart.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The other Lang daughter does exist!

howe_sam posted:

I mean that was a little overboard by Clark, but he's not wrong.

:hmmyes:

lol Lana getting put to task on reverse mortgages. "I didn't know they were bad for you!" So either you lied to their face or you are supremely incompetent. Chuck out there making a lot of good points. This plot is terrible.

https://i.imgur.com/3DRWaln.mp4

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Loved the Doomsday/Bizarro fakeout so much. Earlier in the episode somebody (Clark maybe) said 'this feels like the end of the world!" and I turned to my wife all smug and said "oh, like DOOMSDAY??!?".

I'm curious if this is supposed to be the first time they've encountered a Bizarro, too. And if it is, exactly what the origin of this guy's gonna be.

And yes, Lana sucks for the reverse mortgages and I'm glad they acknowledged that.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

A Fancy Hat posted:

Loved the Doomsday/Bizarro fakeout so much. Earlier in the episode somebody (Clark maybe) said 'this feels like the end of the world!" and I turned to my wife all smug and said "oh, like DOOMSDAY??!?".

I'm curious if this is supposed to be the first time they've encountered a Bizarro, too. And if it is, exactly what the origin of this guy's gonna be.

And yes, Lana sucks for the reverse mortgages and I'm glad they acknowledged that.

Smallville obviously had a huge Bizarro arc, but did Supergirl? I vaguely recall some Power Girl stuff in the first season, but nothing past that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Klungar posted:

Smallville obviously had a huge Bizarro arc, but did Supergirl? I vaguely recall some Power Girl stuff in the first season, but nothing past that.

Supergirl's kind of sort of version of Bizarro was a Max Lord experiment on a random woman who looked vaguely like Kara gone bad. Which is what you might be thinking of?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

howe_sam posted:

Supergirl's kind of sort of version of Bizarro was a Max Lord experiment on a random woman who looked vaguely like Kara gone bad. Which is what you might be thinking of?

Yes, that was the Power Girl analogue I was referring to. I remember it having some Bizarro spice thrown in, but couldn't recall if there were any more specific instances in the later seasons.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Lois even says partway through this episode to Clark: ‘don’t get all doomsday on me’.

Smallville Bizzaro looked exactly like Clark to the point he was able to impersonate him, and at one point it was revealed that Clark had actually been Bizzaro for the past several episodes. I’m really glad that this Bizzaro looks different enough that they hopefully aren’t going to do a ‘villain impersonates the hero’ kind of plotline because I hate those.

I really hope Jonathan is jus trying to get hold of the drugs so he can figure out what they are and not try and use them himself. I thought he was smarter than that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Lol this ruled so hard. Little bits of DBZ on network television.

Anyway Hoechin is just. All time. Great Clark, great Supes.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
That was exactly what I thought when I watched it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Specifically FighterZ.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

The Lord Bude posted:

I really hope Jonathan is jus trying to get hold of the drugs so he can figure out what they are and not try and use them himself. I thought he was smarter than that.

I'd understand taking the drugs tbh, if he learns there's *another* evil superman on the loose. He wants to protect people as much as his dad does, and has definitely taken beatings because of it.

I can also see Lane inadvertently setting this up too, saying how much superman is needed & how much trouble the world is in. He had zero issues with teen soldiers, and thinks in big picture.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

It might be too weird for this show, but I'd love it if this Bizarro is a more sympathetic take on the character that comes from an alternate Earth that's a giant cube and filled with other Bizarros.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Hoechin gonna get scooped up by something else eventually, he's too charismatic to not be folded under some disney poo poo somehwere.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

apatheticman posted:

Hoechin gonna get scooped up by something else eventually, he's too charismatic to not be folded under some disney poo poo somehwere.

He fuckin loves being Superman though. He ain't stopping til they cancel this show.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I too absolutely love the Doomsday misdirect. The backwards Superman & Lois at the end was just *chef kiss*

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I hope they go all in on the Bizarro stuff and have a fight where Bizarro shows off his flame breath and cold vision

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I don't think I've ever actually seen or read a bizarro story, just references (and the Sealab episode) so I'm hype as gently caress for this

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 28, 2022

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Disposable Scud posted:

I too absolutely love the Doomsday misdirect. The backwards Superman & Lois at the end was just *chef kiss*

I just noticed the new thread title.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Klungar posted:

I just noticed the new thread title.

Me too. I did a double take and initially was like, “wtf is soil, some new dumb villai…..ohhhhhhh”.

Also, sioL.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know what you're talking about...
:ninja:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The fight was cool but i am just going to state this, a serious Bizzaro is like the worst thing. He's just going to be growling and snarling and no "bizzaro make crime to be perfect!" style stuff.

Also it feels a bit repetitive, another mine with an evil corporation that wants a secret krypton thing?

I feel like the cast is so good its elevating very bland material. Though i hate this thing with Lois and the cult.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Also it feels a bit repetitive, another mine with an evil corporation that wants a secret krypton thing?

Are you disparaging half of the planets on Stargate and the site of the Crisis on Infinite Earths final battle?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

twistedmentat posted:

Same mine. But I guess they've discovered some kind of dimensional rift in it?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

The fight was cool but i am just going to state this, a serious Bizzaro is like the worst thing. He's just going to be growling and snarling and no "bizzaro make crime to be perfect!" style stuff.

I feel like the cast is so good its elevating very bland material. Though i hate this thing with Lois and the cult.

I'm pretty sure it's the same mine. It seems like they're just really leaning into this X-Kryptonite to be their Smallville "Meteor rocks" for generating threats.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was hoping it wasn't the same mine.

Creativity on villains seems to be lacking in the writing staff.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It's the same mine, the people digging up Bizarro said they were there to remediate all the XK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
I guess Bizarro being trapped there caused the XK to grow?

I don't know anything about him, is there a reason he's in a weird suit