Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If anything, Lois will be the only person whose body accepts the experiment and she’ll have perma-powers.

Jonathan will then be the only person in the family who doesn’t have powers beyond reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Then super dog will come in and Jon will be even more sad.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Hoechlin is so good as Clark, the way he interviewed Mannheim :allears:

Am I crazy or is Matteo Mannheim's kid?

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

howe_sam posted:

Hoechlin is so good as Clark, the way he interviewed Mannheim :allears:

I agree. Love his portrayal of both Superman and Clark.

That was an interesting ending. Kinda saw it coming a mile away of course.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chrissy Jon should take some of those gummies and chill.

I did like the reveal that Peia already had powers before the experimental cancer treatments. Or maybe she got them because of whatever is giving the Hobb's Bay residents elevated rates of cancer. Or maybe it doesn't matter how she got them.

howe_sam posted:

Extremely disappointing twist. :negative:

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
Good episode, show has a lot of heart. At least Lois is now clued in to the villains motivations and has a bit of doubt whether she's doing the right thing trying to take him down.

Only part I didn't really like was Clark's fortress tech explanation. The fact that there is advanced technology that exists and could save countless lives across who knows how many illnesses is more a justification for destroying the fortress altogether rather than just holding out. As long as he has access to this stuff but doesn't use it, he's allowing deaths to happen. I don't want to spark a big morality debate on this but it just didn't sit right with me as an initial reaction.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

delightful posted:

Good episode, show has a lot of heart. At least Lois is now clued in to the villains motivations and has a bit of doubt whether she's doing the right thing trying to take him down.

Only part I didn't really like was Clark's fortress tech explanation. The fact that there is advanced technology that exists and could save countless lives across who knows how many illnesses is more a justification for destroying the fortress altogether rather than just holding out. As long as he has access to this stuff but doesn't use it, he's allowing deaths to happen. I don't want to spark a big morality debate on this but it just didn't sit right with me as an initial reaction.

:agreed:

Should've just left it at "weak humans can't handle our mighty kryptonian chemo healing techniques"

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Is this the first episode where they don't show Clark in the suit? Nice that they can tell a good story without relying on the Superman part, and it doesn't seem out of place.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah it feels like Onomatopoeia's bits filled in the action quota. I'm absolutely not complaining, this is good stuff.

Beppo's weed gummies are so funny, and really shows how the Overton window on weed has shifted that a Superman show on network TV can have a positively portrayed supporting character established as using marijuana.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Digging Chrissy's curly hair- it looks great . Shacking up with Kyle has done her the world of good.

I liked Sarah being a cruel teen and then regretting it, shows character development & her impulsive nature.

JHI needs to be in the show more than he is right now.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

The Lord Bude posted:

What do you suppose the chances are that Matteo turns out to be Bruno’s son or something?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Before you said this: 0%. Now you have cursed it into existence!

I’m sorry

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The show is really good at writing teens, emotional gently caress ups but with agency.

It's refreshing, especially from the CW.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I will give the show tremendous credit if the Matteo thing ends up being super awkward random chance played for comedy; rather than Bruno deliberately setting it up to spy on the Irons

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I absolutely think it's some random chance Romeo and Juliet bullshit.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

howe_sam posted:

I absolutely think it's some random chance Romeo and Juliet bullshit.

I mean that’s great - the flash would have had it be some sort of chess master long con cliche crap; having it be awkward rom com shenanigans instead is a fun subversion of my expectations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The long con was Peia (oooohhhh it was right there the whole time: Peia, Onomatopoeia) befriending Lois in the cancer ward.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So, did Matteo just never tell Nat and John his last name?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lois getting soft. Clark too at the end of the episode. "She's a murderer. She's a bad person."

Chrissy getting excited to fly was adorable and extremely relatable.

howe_sam posted:

Kind of an amazing coincidence that it never came up.

Also John why wouldn't you show up with your suit nearby?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This show continues to be so much better than anything else the DC-CW has ever done. Taking a week off next week though sadly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Had to laugh at the "we licensed exactly one (1) Cure song and so we're using it twice" moment. Also earlier it definitely seemed like they were setting up a John Henry/Lana romance but it seems like something that should have come up this episode.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
I know general dad is way older but I did like the chemistry between them. Lana Lang Lane

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

howe_sam posted:

Non-zero chance that he took/uses his mother's last name due to his father's notoriety. Since their marriage is a secret, I'd imagine the "he has a kid" thing is too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Hot take: Clark Kent is a good dude.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That was a really good episode.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

The dancing scene brought back a nice memory of the Smallville dancing scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijYNIcvuBYM

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

John Henry did nothing wrong. Once again, "She's a murderer. She's a bad person." Everyone getting stupid for the sake of drama.

howe_sam posted:

DoctorWhat posted:

That was a really good episode.

:same:

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
As much as I want to stick up for good old John Henry, he really did go too far when he tried to use Peia as leverage against Mannheim. Now both him & Superman are gonna pay for it when they face off against blast from last season Bizarro.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Peia literally murdered him so I think John Henry gets a pass on how he treats her.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

howe_sam posted:

Agreed. Also:

Good take: Clark Kent is a hot dude.

Because it is incredibly attractive to have a partner that is willing to listen and communicate about intimacy. I'm so used to (and tired of) shows or scenes that are fueled by relationship drama that could be settled with "would you just talk to each other, goddamnit?!" This episode had me jaw agape at how wonderfully honest and heartfelt they communicated.

Well, and Clark is objectively hot. I wonder if my husband would look good in those glasses.

Also helps that we watched it right after the wet fart of The Flash finale. What a palate cleanser, I'm so glad we picked that order to catch up on our shows.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 28, 2023

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Surprised that they didn't drag out Kyle's sleuthing for more episodes.

I was also surprised that Matteo was a willing accomplice in the plan.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's one of the things I really appreciate about this show compared to a typical CW show where one secret would be kept for 3/4 of a season and the last 1/4 of the season would be someone being mad about the thing being kept secret at all.

People figure things out and talk about stuff on this show. Truly a breath of fresh air.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

You mean you didn't like the multiple seasons of Arrow and Flash where every character has a secret they don't tell anyone about, for no discernible reason?

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

Narcissus1916 posted:

You mean you didn't like the multiple seasons of Arrow and Flash where every character has a secret they don't tell anyone about, for no discernible reason?

... and Supernatural, which may be the worst out of all of them

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It really was a great twist on the normal "oh no, how's he going to get out of this one?" tension when he just... doesn't.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Also, Kyle was wrong but not WRONG if you had to pick a superhero then Jon fits the stereotype more than Jordan does. And while Kyle is being a bit well, Kyle , he wasn't calling for powered people to be rounded up or carted off- just that they are not hiding

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

He really is a dumbass though, it doesn’t take a huge amount of mental arithmetic to work out why a superhero might prefer their identity not to be public knowledge.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked the casual use of powers around the house.

But yeah it is good they didn't drag out the Kyle reveal because everyone was doing a real bad job of not being suspicious as hell.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

The Lord Bude posted:

He really is a dumbass though, it doesn’t take a huge amount of mental arithmetic to work out why a superhero might prefer their identity not to be public knowledge.

Oh yeah, he's dumb but (in this case) he's not being mean or an rear end in a top hat. He's been pretty badly bit by both powered people and by dishonesty so this whole sitch is a button pusher for him.

I will not stop talking about how much I like Kyle. I love that he screws up but picks himself up and keeps going

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

The Lord Bude posted:

It may not be so much the secret identity thing, but that there's a person with powers operating in secret. Superman is flying around in primary colors, people know who he is, even if they don't know who he really is.

Sloth Life posted:

I will not stop talking about how much I like Kyle. I love that he screws up but picks himself up and keeps going

Same. He was easy to hate in the earlier episodes, but he's had a good redemption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

That was an incredible episode, this show continues to amaze me. Sadly we have to take a week off next week.