Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

8one6 posted:

Your actual experience is not universal.
I know? That's my point. BrianWilly said "Yeah the twins are gonna call her Aunt Kara, y'all. She's Clark's cousin, she's not their cousin." citing his own use of those words as evidence. Which it isn't. Because not everyone uses those words that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
God I just used it because it sounds better, didn't mean to start an argument about proper familial language usage.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
If "not everyone uses those words that way" then do you see how pedantic and self-important it sounds to keep saying that's not how it works, go look up how it works, it's still not correct?

Christ, white people.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BrianWilly posted:

If "not everyone uses those words that way" then do you see how pedantic and self-important it sounds to keep saying that's not how it works, go look up how it works, it's still not correct?

Christ, white people.

That wasn't me.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Christ folks, dictionaries don't control what words mean like they're some kind of magic tome imbued with dark power, they just describe how people use those words. Words can even have multiple meanings, change over time, etc. If some people use cousin/aunt one way and some people use them another then both of them are right.

Go look up how language works.

twistedmentat posted:

I hope the series also features Clark and Lois digging up all the dark secrets of Smallville, I mean you don't have one of the best Investigative Reporters in the world move to your town along with the fastest typist ever and not expect things to be uncovered.

If that's the case I can't WAIT to see the Allison Mack guest spot.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

BrianWilly posted:

Christ, white people.

maybe people would be more receptive to your point if you added to the context from which your diverging views arose and made a good faith attempt to understand why your currently held notions are being challenged, instead of throwing a tantrum every time you brush up against a reality that is incongruent with yours

kara would be their cousin btw

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
ARE YOU PROPLE loving UP THE THREAD BEFORE THE SECOND EPISODE???

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Slamhound posted:

ARE YOU PROPLE loving UP THE THREAD BEFORE THE SECOND EPISODE???

It is the DC TV Universe thread way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey if one of the boys calls someone "bro" what do you think that means

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Hey if one of the boys calls someone "bro" what do you think that means

1rst bro once removed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

*JOHN WILLIAMS THEME*

https://twitter.com/cwsupermanlois/status/1366825980103323648?s=20

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Well that was pretty fast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Let's hope they keep pumping the cash into the show that made the pilot look so good. I dont want to go back to Supergirl quality.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Nothing, and I repeat nothing, is funnier than when Daredevil had Karen Page read out loud her "journalism piece" that was hysterically bad.

Every time I've watched it I've wheezed with laughter, it is THAT bad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vietnamwees posted:

Well that was pretty fast.

They did the same thing with Batwoman if I recall correctly. Basically auto-renewed it for a new season after both of its premieres.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They were probably just making sure it wasn't some huge flop that absolutely nobody watched.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Aw, Lois has a fan

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, you don't become the world's greatest journalist without gaining a fan or 2.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The boys synchronized facepalming when Lois went after Edge was great.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vietnamwees posted:

Hey, you don't become the world's greatest journalist without gaining a fan or 2.

Same but also an enemy or 20.

howe_sam posted:

This is obviously not the first time they've seen this happen. I assume they have a similar reaction when their dad does the clumsy guy act.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Jordan definitely has powers, but if it's not an emergency/adrenal response thing, it's gonna be a resonance thing that requires his brother nearby.

Edit: Lois has a fan. :3:

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 3, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Captain Luther is from the Snyderverse!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm glad they still have the budget to make the cgi look good. Certainly a big step above Supergirl.

Lois Lane is perfect. She just can't sit around and she's all fired up to get Morgan Edge.

howe_sam posted:

That was :discourse:

Holy poo poo Kyle is the worst and yet completely believable. :911:

I want an edit where every scene with Luthor has music from Doom Eternal.

Dickhead General Lane: origins :v:

e: Kyle would be a lot more sympathetic if he was out of a job and Edge was promising him one. But his family has 2 earners so he just seems like a real piece of poo poo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 3, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Edge is very much Businessman-only Luthor complete with his own version of Mercy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/x9LwfRB.mp4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/VezvgQT.mp4

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

e: Kyle would be a lot more sympathetic if he was out of a job and Edge was promising him one. But his family has 2 earners so he just seems like a real piece of poo poo.

I actually disagree, I think the fact that he and his family are generally taken care of makes his actions and beliefs more sympathetic. He's not acting purely out of self-interest, he seems to be operating from a place of genuine concern for the welfare of his community and the people in it. Like his daughter said in the pilot, as a first responder he basically has a front-row seat to the tragedies that come with the slow death of a small town, and it's driven him to desperation seeking ways to fix it.

A small touch that I really liked in this episode was at the barbecue, when he confronted Lois. He didn't just attack her for daring to ask questions of their would-be savior, he talked about how he had looked into the things she mentioned instead of just dismissing them out of hand. Unfortunately he managed to rationalize and explain away the bad things he learned (a sadly common and realistic situation in our own world), but it reinforced that he's approaching the whole situation from a position of "this is going to work out for everybody, because it simply has to, because if it doesn't then my home is truly dead."

Basically I think this kind of character is an easy one to screw up and make two-dimensional, but so far the show is handling him very well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God, for a CW show, that's kinda brutal.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

howe_sam posted:

Captain Luther is from the Snyderverse!

loving LOL!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

This is me, with super powers, descending on CPAC.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Homelander made it to DC!

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

RIP Master Lex suit.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I loved Jor-El in this! Maybe it's because of covid but usual Berlanti production casting would mean that Jor-El (and even the Kents) should've
been known, reliable, household name actors. So having Jor-El being an unknown actor saying "I guess Jordan sucks" really made me despise him.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I wouldn't call Angus Macfadyen an unknown actor, dude was in Braveheart.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Was hoping for a Brandon Routh Jor El

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Xelkelvos posted:

Jordan definitely has powers... it's gonna be a resonance thing that requires his brother nearby.

I'd be willing to bet money on this. The boys are twins, there's going to be some sort of twin connection thing going on.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

The Lord Bude posted:

I'd be willing to bet money on this. The boys are twins, there's going to be some sort of twin connection thing going on.

This would be wonderful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am blown away by how good this show looks. It's also refreshing to see teen brothers who have a genuine relationship.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

howe_sam posted:

I wouldn't call Angus Macfadyen an unknown actor, dude was in Braveheart.

Braveheart was 26 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Show is twee in a good way.
So so so glad Lois is being an absolute bloodhound and not just coasting on having the supes inside scoop.
The boys are very solid too, it's a hard line to walk to be realistic teenage boys but not complete shitheads, or veering into "nothing like an actual teenage boy".

Tyler is showing range I would never have imagined from Teen Wolf. Humour, yeah okay. Eye candy hoo boy. But he is really showing his chops here: earnest, hopeful, grieving, lost.