Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I laughed when they first showed Jordan playing Injustice, then I laughed REALLY hard when I saw that Superman was on screen, then I almost broke down when I realized that Jordan WASN'T playing as Superman in the game. If that wasn't a giant slap in the face Clark, I don't know what is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Who the gently caress has a router in a barn 40 yards away from the main house, and 20 foot up in the air.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

happyhippy posted:

Who the gently caress has a router in a barn 40 yards away from the main house, and 20 foot up in the air.

The neighbor kid that convinced Ma Kent to get broadband who hangs out in her barn to study because they can't do it at home due to [various realities of their small town dying].

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I wasn't expecting this show to be Smallville: The Next Generation but I'm kinda digging it. As soon as I saw the armoured power suit and remembered this show had a different actor playing Lex, I knew where they were going with that. I hope he crosses paths with Jon Cryer's Lex at some point. I also hope we get some in-show verification of it being a timeskip. I don't like the CW shows being so out of sync so soon after Crisis.

X-O posted:

There is a scene where Jon as a child throws a football and it breaks right through a rope holding a tire. He's got some powers in him too somehwhere or that scene makes no sense.

Early in the episode when he and Lois are discussing telling the kids, Clark says he ran a test on Jon at the Fortress and it was unlikely he had powers. I assumed that test took place after seeing that throw.

I definitely agree he's not a typical human but it's probably not the Kryptonian powerset. I do like the Captain America peak human theory others have mentioned.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Wow this was surprisingly good, gonna stop watching right now cuz I know it wont last.

One thing that kinda confused me, in the little beginning montage you see John throw a toy rocket through the side of the house in front of Lois and later chuck a football at a tire-swing and break the rope, but then everyone acts like they don't know if the kids have powers, and then the end of the ep is saying only Jordan has powers.

Kinda laughed how poor Jordan is stuck in the same predicament as Clark with Lana in Smallville before they finally get together in like season 18.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 25, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That toy rocket flashback is clearly child Clark.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Rhyno posted:

That toy rocket flashback is clearly child Clark.

oh drat I'm an idiot, I'm pretty blazed, sorry.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Assuming that neo-Louis-&-Clarke Clarke talks exactly like Peter Griffin

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's really odd they decided to make Jordan the one with powers when the comics version of Jonathan is literally in comics right now as Superman, though

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I will be absolutely dumbstruck if both boys don’t end up having powers by the time the show ends.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
They're definitely gonna break up the powers between the two. Glass-cannon Jordan with flight and heat vision, and super strong Jonathan. The drama writes itself once you do that.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ville Valo posted:

They're definitely gonna break up the powers between the two. Glass-cannon Jordan with flight and heat vision, and super strong Jonathan. The drama writes itself once you do that.

We see Jordan super speed protect Jonathan to take the blow from the big metal tubes. So we know at minimum, Jordan has speed, invuln/strength?, and heat vision.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think Jordan is going to end up with most of the powers if not the full set.

Season finale Jon's powers surface after Jordan and Lois are in danger and Clark is incapacitated

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

You guys are coming at it from the wrong angle: Jonathan is going to have Bizarro's powers. Freeze vision and heat breath.

Or maybe he will end up like Mr Glass. Either one.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

There are no dualities. Only symmetries. They'll fuse together to become a giant, multiversal, cosmic thought robot.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

I think Johnathan just being more or less normal human makes for a more interesting dynamic than if he had powers kinda like a parallel to Alex and Kara

Rhyno posted:

It does and hopefully they handle the obvious resentment subplot well.

That setup among super-siblings strongly reminds me of Superman & Batman: Generations. Hope it goes better for Jon in this version :ohdear:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

oh jay posted:

There are no dualities. Only symmetries. They'll fuse together to become a giant, multiversal, cosmic thought robot.

MECHA SHIVA

MECHA SHIVA

MECHA SHIVA

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

McSpanky posted:

That setup among super-siblings strongly reminds me of Superman & Batman: Generations. Hope it goes better for Jon in this version :ohdear:

Jonathan seems fairly well adjusted actually. I'm sure if the writers wanted to generate drama, they could reveal that he's starting to feel resentful of the attention Clark is giving Jordan or something, but he seems, for now fairly comfortable that his outsider little brother finally has something that might let him come into his own. Even if he's a bit of a douche in expressing his care. I think if there's any avenue for drama, it'll be Johnathan not being in a place to protect his little brother anymore and rather than resentful, there might be more feelings of distance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jon jumped into beat rear end and protect Jordan so he clearly loves his bro. And he encouraged him to go for Lana's daughter. He may rib him but all siblings do that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Jon jumped into beat rear end and protect Jordan so he clearly loves his bro. And he encouraged him to go for Lana's daughter. He may rib him but all siblings do that.

Yeah, that's where I'm getting the possible despondency drama from. Jon probably has done that more than a few times and while he's probably glad his younger brother will be able to protect himself better, he might be worried about losing a part of what he's normally used to. The alternative might be Jon getting even more over protective to protect Jordan from himself and his powers in conjunction with their parents.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just hoping for a scene where Jordan learns to fly and Jon is waaaay more excited about than he is. They have a chance to do something special here and I hope they don't cock it up.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, that's where I'm getting the possible despondency drama from. Jon probably has done that more than a few times and while he's probably glad his younger brother will be able to protect himself better,

Have they said which twin is older?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
e: nm, misread a post

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Someone called Captain Luthor's super suit look Master Chief but to me out looked more like the Doom Slayer.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Y'all keep saying Doomslayer, and I know it's not what you mean, but there's a lovely Superman villain named that that I remember for some reason and it's messing with my brain.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

muscles like this! posted:

Someone called Captain Luthor's super suit look Master Chief but to me out looked more like the Doom Slayer.

Yeah, my first thought when I saw him was "why is the Doom guy fighting Superman?"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What happened to the orange crystal that Clark's ship produced for Jordan? Does he still have it on him? I don't recall anything about it after that scene.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

McSpanky posted:

What happened to the orange crystal that Clark's ship produced for Jordan? Does he still have it on him? I don't recall anything about it after that scene.

He still does as far as has been shown. I assume it'll unlock some kinda information in the Fortress of Solitude maybe?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Jonathan clearly is going to get the more obscure Superman powers, like shooting a small version of himself from his fingers.

Also I know the bank scene was supposed to make you think that Martha was an amazing person, but man it only made me think that people in Smallville are assholes taking advantage of a frail old widow that they know will not say no to them.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

He still does as far as has been shown. I assume it'll unlock some kinda information in the Fortress of Solitude maybe?

It's his own "sunstone" presumably, for his own fortress of solitude.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Adnor posted:

Also I know the bank scene was supposed to make you think that Martha was an amazing person, but man it only made me think that people in Smallville are assholes taking advantage of a frail old widow that they know will not say no to them.

This was exactly my thought during that scene. Just a town of loving vampires sucking a kind old woman dry.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Adnor posted:

Jonathan clearly is going to get the more obscure Superman powers, like shooting a small version of himself from his fingers.

Hey, do not talk about Superman's new power.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
There was one comic run they did a few years back to try and revitalize Supes and make him less of a boring power fantasy where he was like, I think riding around the US on a motorbike because it turned out that his super powers were basically like a rechargeable battery, and that the more he used them, the weaker he got until he was eventually just a normal person and had to spend like a week or two absorbing more solar energy to become Superman again.

No idea how well they pulled it off, but I always found the whole “Superman isn’t always Superman” idea to be a more interesting take than the “World of Cardboard” one anyway.

If they did that for Clark or the kids on this show it might be neat.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

There was one comic run they did a few years back to try and revitalize Supes and make him less of a boring power fantasy where he was like, I think riding around the US on a motorbike because it turned out that his super powers were basically like a rechargeable battery, and that the more he used them, the weaker he got until he was eventually just a normal person and had to spend like a week or two absorbing more solar energy to become Superman again.

No idea how well they pulled it off, but I always found the whole “Superman isn’t always Superman” idea to be a more interesting take than the “World of Cardboard” one anyway.

If they did that for Clark or the kids on this show it might be neat.

It's that he has basically a super-ultra-secret power where he discharges all the solar energy at once and it leaves him a normal guy for a bit and then he gradually gets stronger until he's back to normal. They did the same story in the first season of Supergirl, including a pastiche of a really good scene with he faces down a desperate guy robbing a convenience store at gunpoint without his powers

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Its funny how in Jonathan's room, he's got a can of pop turned away from the camera so you couldn't see the lable, but it clearly shows the Canadian style nutritional info on the can. It's like seeing a Tim Hortons in the background of one of the early Batwoman episodes.

Having the super sons being teens is way better than them being kids. Hopefully the show does well with the setting.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Adnor posted:

Yeah I have to agree with that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope the series also features Clark and Lois digging up all the dark secrets of Smallville, I mean you don't have one of the best Investigative Reporters in the world move to your town along with the fastest typist ever and not expect things to be uncovered.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Having the super sons being teens is way better than them being kids. Hopefully the show does well with the setting.

Agreed, there's a lot of potential for those characters, and I hope they maintain a hefty focus on them and don't have them slide into the background in favour of doing standard Superman centric stories. They've resisted casting late 20 somethings as well which is a huge bonus.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, at first I would rather have had them be toddlers or children, but the pilot really reaffirmed the whole thing that decades of comics have drilled into me: superpowers = puberty. It would be a crime for them not to be highschoolers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I hope the series also features Clark and Lois digging up all the dark secrets of Smallville, I mean you don't have one of the best Investigative Reporters in the world move to your town along with the fastest typist ever and not expect things to be uncovered.

I hope they maintain the, I guess implemented by Bendis, canon that Lois is a great investigative journalist but can't spell worth a drat and all her first drafts are riddled with awful typos.