Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Welp, I've seen some positive reviews, and some negative reviews, let's see who was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So help me show you had better not do a loving love triangle between the brothers Kent and Lana's daughter. :argh:

I'm curious if they're going to keep up the cinematic aspect ratio, or go back to standard HD.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm 100% confident that has happened in multiple homes.

I've decided that my pet theory thus far for Captain Luthor is 'Time travelling descendant of Lex Luthor'. Alternatively, Lex Luthor from an alternate earth. My first thought was to reject that hypothesis since post crisis we saw on Batwoman that two doppelgangers couldn't coexist on the same earth but there is a new multiverse now even though the characters are unaware of it yet, so maybe that's the explanation.

Alternate Earth Lex whose home dimension was destroyed by the crisis is my guess based on some of his dialogue, and he's surviving on this Earth because he's Lex loving Luthor that's why.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

X-O posted:

This was really good. Much better than I expected given how terrible all of the CW shows had fallen off when I stopped watching them. I'm glad Jon Cryer isn't the Lex in this series though because the couple clips of him I've seen on the internet really don't fit the tone set in this pilot at all.

Cryer is a phenomenal Lex, but yeah, his performance is very extra. Hopefully they can find a place for him on Superman & Lois at some point down the line, but a lot of that also depends on how Supergirl wraps up his story there.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, that's where I'm getting the possible despondency drama from. Jon probably has done that more than a few times and while he's probably glad his younger brother will be able to protect himself better,

Have they said which twin is older?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

That idea might have worked in the typewriter era but it's totally implausible in the modern age of spell checkers and auto correct.

This is ducking wrong.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Tbh, the kids might not know Kara is their cousin, since as far as the world knows Kara Danvers and Clark Kent aren't related.

But yes, technically she's Cousin Kara (and in the comics that's how Jon's referred to her).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I mean who knows what the show will do, but all I can say is that canonically Jon calls her cousin. So y'know, make of that what you will. I know this much, it would make a delightful symmetry with all the "your cousin" references in the first season of Supergirl.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

Wasn’t there an episode of supergirl where Kara
Introduced Clark to Cat Grant as her cousin? If so then it’s fair to assume Kara has at least met the kids as Kara.

I'm pretty sure Kara hems and haws when Cat asks her how she knows Clark and eventually lands on mutual friend through James, but it's been years since I last watched that episode so my memory could easily be wrong.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The boys synchronized facepalming when Lois went after Edge was great.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Captain Luther is from the Snyderverse!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I wouldn't call Angus Macfadyen an unknown actor, dude was in Braveheart.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I did think that was a weird time to premiere the new season of Supergirl.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

I couldn't have been the only person who thought when Lois listed off those three other towns that Morgan Edge was trying to sell Smallville a monorail, right?

Monorail, mineral rights. different names, same scam.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm sure if Benoist wasn't pregnant/on maternity leave, and there wasn't a global pandemic going on Kara would've been at the funeral.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The kid who plays Johnathan has some amazing reaction faces.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

If I had to guess, I'd say they were lining Jordan up as a linebacker, though his number suggests he was a safety. Either one makes sense. Have the D-line soak up blockers and let Jordan do his Bobby Boucher impression.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

They got covid and had to stop filming.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I know I shouldn't let this bug me, but man, they are not writing those kids as fourteen.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

If Jonathan was in line to be the starting QB on his high school team at 14 either he's a king poo poo QB who should be starting for Smallville, or his old high school team suuuuuucked.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

If you're not an Arroverse villain named Tobias Whale, Eobard Thawne, Lex Luthor, or Damien Darhk, your sub-plot is kind of guaranteed to suck rear end and be filler for better parts of the show you're antagonizing, yes.

This is Malcolm Merlyn, Slade Wilson and Prometheus erasure and I will not stand for it (let's just ignore the fact that I can't remember Prometheus's real name).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

To make matters even more muddled, the CW has two streaming platforms, CW Seed, and The CW app. CW Seed is where they stick random old poo poo they happen to have the rights for (like that Ioan Gruffudd is an immortal medical examiner show) and the CW app is where they do next day on demand for currently airing shows.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

:shrug: the people who write this show have no idea how high school athletics work

What I do know is that Clark's a Good Dad.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That was a strong episode to come back on,. Though it does grind my gears that they keep framing what happened to Jon as an "accident." Jordan deliberately tried to knock that bully's block off.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Ooooh, when the ship AI misidentified Clark as "Captain Luthor" that was a hint that the Stranger wasn't actually Lex.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Man, the emotions in this episode are incredibly raw.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So, uh, "Edge" is being metaphorical when he says Clark is his brother, right?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Sooo, hitherto unknown half brother eh?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

In a perfect world, yeah, Kara absolutely would be useful because she has way more in common with Edge than Clark does since she remembers Krypton too (and weirdly is the oldest of the trio), but that's not going to happen for a whole host of reasons so there's no sense in worrying about it.

I mean heck, Kryptonian witches from Argo City tried to remake Earth as Krypton and Clark didn't bother to show up.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Sloth Life posted:

Who is Leslie Larr do we know? That's not a Kryptonian name and she's definitely Edge's right hand woman.
She's from Smallville and real name is Irma Sayres. apparently Leslie Larr is a variation on a Supergirl villain, Lesla-Lar.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

gently caress yeah, Clark changed in a phone booth. The only thing that would've made that sequence better would've been a quick hit of the Williams' theme.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That was a Class of 95 yearbook Clark was looking at right?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Did they? I've been struggling to pay attention for a while. I know they had a Metallo but I don't know if it was THE Metallo.

Supergirl for sure did a spin on Parasite. He was a climate scientist who found an alien life form in a core sample from a glacier in, oh let's say Norway, and he decided the best way to save the planet was to kill a bunch of energy company executives. This was back in maybe season 2 or 3? I don't remember exactly.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Earth-X was probably the high point of the entire Arrowverse.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Welp, the show is definitely in the mainline Arrowverse now.

I absolutely adore Diggle as the voice of traditional super heroics there.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 14, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The delay is to pair it with the new season of Stargirl.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It's a bad translation from the original Kryptonian.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know the full who's who of the S&L writer's room, but Tucker wasn't the only PoC in it.

E: which isn't to say, "there were two!" is some great masterstroke of diversity mind you,

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Kyle's buddy in the fire department feels like a definite attempt by the show to course correct on their lack of diversity.

Also, poo poo, Clark vs Jordan in the finale is going to be brutal, if that's what they're going for. Yup, they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Huh, I just realized that the love interests for the Kent boys are named Sarah and Tegan.