Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was so, so good. It's just wonderful to see Tiny Clark step into center stage. And oh man, that Fleischer suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just shocked by how good both sons are. The jock could have easily been an insufferable prick and the emo one could have played the tropes very poorly but They both are believable teenage boys. Jordan gaining the powers was predictable but it just works so well. Jon is the one who would want them and it's the last thing Jordan would ever want.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It does and hopefully they handle the obvious resentment subplot well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That toy rocket flashback is clearly child Clark.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think Jordan is going to end up with most of the powers if not the full set.

Season finale Jon's powers surface after Jordan and Lois are in danger and Clark is incapacitated

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

oh jay posted:

There are no dualities. Only symmetries. They'll fuse together to become a giant, multiversal, cosmic thought robot.

MECHA SHIVA

MECHA SHIVA

MECHA SHIVA

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jon jumped into beat rear end and protect Jordan so he clearly loves his bro. And he encouraged him to go for Lana's daughter. He may rib him but all siblings do that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just hoping for a scene where Jordan learns to fly and Jon is waaaay more excited about than he is. They have a chance to do something special here and I hope they don't cock it up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xelkelvos posted:

I hope they maintain the, I guess implemented by Bendis, canon that Lois is a great investigative journalist but can't spell worth a drat and all her first drafts are riddled with awful typos.

Dude, that goes back to the 1978 film.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The kryptontonian aunt/uncle/cousin dynamic is totally different than on earth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey if one of the boys calls someone "bro" what do you think that means

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Let's hope they keep pumping the cash into the show that made the pilot look so good. I dont want to go back to Supergirl quality.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am blown away by how good this show looks. It's also refreshing to see teen brothers who have a genuine relationship.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only thing that took me out of the episode was alter Clark wearing the cheap black suit from a few years ago. I had noted in the pilot they went to the trouble of building that beautiful Fleischer suit for the flashback and then we never see the shoulder cape suit. I assume they used it because it was a brief scene in shadow and we won't see much of that Superman going forward.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bitsi is crushing it as Lois.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nah, the merger let them do a soft reboot and drop a lot of dumb poo poo if they don't want it around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xelkelvos posted:

They do a pretty good balance of having only one scene of super heroics every episode while the rest is lower budget stuff

I mean, we got the bridge and the hotel room. That's pretty excellent for a tv budget.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well it is a new Earth, they can refresh a lot of stuff they already used on Supergirl.

Like Red Tornado

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

roffels posted:

I was getting serious Smallville vibes this episode.

Were meteor freaks ever a thing in the comics? I'm familiar with the golden age up until the mid 1990s comics, the only effect I recall Kryptonite having on humans is giving Lex Luthor cancer, and being able to power cyborgs like Metallo.

There was "Conduit." He was created after Zero Hour, retconned as a lifelong friend of Clark and Lana who had chronic health issues. It was revealed he became infected with Kryptonite radiation by Clark's crashing lifeboat. He grew up to be a super villain with K-Rad powers. So he was essentially the first meteor freak.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

roffels posted:

Oh yeah. Totally forgot about him. I wasn't a fan.

Yeah Conduit sucked. I'm glad he's dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

side_burned posted:

Am I the only disappointed they are not using Christopher Kent? Superman as a loving foster parent always felt right to me. Johnathan always felt like a reaction to Damin becoming popular more than anything.

I mean, Chris was around for like 3 years and never set the world on fire. Jon may have been reactionary but he was fantastic. And this Jon is not the comic book version so I applaud them for going their own way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh hey, Kilgrave is played by the se guy that played Ollie's pathetic cell mate from Arrow season 7.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was a shot of main street looking run down.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

King of Solomon posted:

I think a big thing they could do to show the problem is have an adult main cast member be long-term unemployed. They spend a lot of time talking about how Morgan Edge will bring jobs to Smallville, but the only actually unemployed person they've shown is Clark, so it rings hollow.

The one kid mocked the kid with the broken arm for being poor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Money is rarely a problem for a guy who can turn coal into diamonds with his bare hands or find sunken treasure at the bottom of the ocean.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a trailer for season 6 of Supergirl up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdI5jyNXqPY

And it looks so terrible. The unexpected quality of this show makes me never want to even bother with Supergirl again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That scene was excellent. Angry, in pain and he never lost control of the situation. That is Superman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The train rescue looked fantastic. Like, a little iffy on some of the motion but just impressive as hell, better than any super human actions the other shows have done.

Really want more flashbacks to the Fleischer suit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

That'd be hilarious if Clark didn't even know he was a dad until the kids were like 14.

I thought this was going to be the main plot but it appears he has full memories of his life on Earth Prime.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Lord Bude posted:

All the participants in crisis have both sets of memories I thought thanks to Martian Manhunter?

He was only able to restore pre-Crisis memories. They never made anything clear about the participants recovering memories of their Earth Prime lives that they didn't actually live.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

I think we can all agree that Clark not having full and proper memories - or really, any of the consequences of Crisis - would not make this show better or more interesting.

Not in the least. Cool, dorky Dad-Clark is the best version of the character that we've gotten in live action since Routh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adnor posted:

As someone who hasn't followed the arrowverse in ages I'm glad they didn't do that. Seems needlessly complicated as a premise for a show for people that didn't follow all the other series.

They got caught up in the shared universe idea and I think in the long run it has hurt the shows.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This show is fantastic and Bitsie Tulloch is amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lois called Superman the "first and best hero" which isn't true in the Arrowverse unless they just retconned out the 1940s heroes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bets on Lara still being inside Lana?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah that's a good point. 10 episodes in and now bad ones yet is a massive streak for a CW series.

Like my only complaint about the show is you can see Tyler's chest padding when he raises his arms too high. And that's minor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That scene was great. It was really nice to see all the scenes from the pilot expanded. Tyler just kills the young Superman vibe. I hope they don't fall down the CW well into mediocre crap the other shows reign in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love what he's doing so much I've almost completely stopped calling him Tiny Clark!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

Again, he is perfectly sized for Superman. It's not his fault that Jimmy Olsen is gigantic in this version.

He did look a little silly next to Routh's Superman, admit it.

And I need to gush about the Fleischer styled suit again. I like it more than his normal gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's probably going to be a human implanted by the Eradicator as a child.