Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Tyler Hoechlin is just killing it.

He kind of reminds me of All Star Superman in just the very, very best way. Full of wholesome heart but tinged with just the right amount of sadness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Christ folks, dictionaries don't control what words mean like they're some kind of magic tome imbued with dark power, they just describe how people use those words. Words can even have multiple meanings, change over time, etc. If some people use cousin/aunt one way and some people use them another then both of them are right.

Go look up how language works.

twistedmentat posted:

I hope the series also features Clark and Lois digging up all the dark secrets of Smallville, I mean you don't have one of the best Investigative Reporters in the world move to your town along with the fastest typist ever and not expect things to be uncovered.

If that's the case I can't WAIT to see the Allison Mack guest spot.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

I'd be willing to bet money on this. The boys are twins, there's going to be some sort of twin connection thing going on.

This would be wonderful.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Weird choice to start off the episode with a volvo commercial but if that's the cost to avoid Arrow-level production values it's totally worth it

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

A Fancy Hat posted:

Hologram Jor El is kind of a dick.

"Oh, your son just shot lasers out of his eyes ONE TIME, no big deal."

My personal theory is he's actually Brainiac or the Eradicator but for now he's just a jerky grandpa.

Super strong? Pffft, maybe for his size, I bet he could hardly deadlift a single truck

Seriously though, if he had 1/100 of Superman's strength, as he suggested, that still probably puts him in like, top 5 strongest heroes in the world. Like we got, what Superman, Supergirl, Martian Manhunter, then.... Nate Heywood? lol

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

GigaPeon posted:

It really felt like the choreographers played a lot of Injustice.

Holy poo poo I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this, that entire sequence after he froze the dude could have been lifted straight outta that game. Clark was just tossing that guy around lol

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I did!

Maybe it can be an escalating series of attempts to murder him throughout the season. Luthor takes out bigger and bigger weapons from his RV and tries to kill Superman, but Superman just shrugs it off and doesn't even give it a second thought.

I loving loved that this Luthor is such a delusional, obsessive psychopath that the moment he heard Superman is nearby, he just jumped out of his beat up trailer with a rocket launcher as if that's going to do ANYTHING and when it predictably didn't, he ran over with a loving handgun ready to murder his life-sworn enemy. Like he's a loving unmatched genius across the entire planet, but if Kal shows up he'd just start foaming at the mouth and uncontrollably flailing like an idiot. I wanna see him try to fight Clark physically, like just slapping and pulling and groaning like a toddler trying to fight an adult while Clark just sighs and waits for him to tucker himself out.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 26, 2021

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

AtraMorS posted:

And it's not like she gave everybody plenty of warning and died of pancreatic cancer or some poo poo. If you want a big statue of you built the same year you die, then don't die of a stupid stroke, ya big goof. Die of the long-lasting neurological complications after the stroke. :colbert:

(I thought the bench was sweet and sincere, and it clearly meant a lot to Clark.)

I agree, what did people expect, a massive wrought bronze statue? Declaration of Martha Kent day with an accompanying annual festival in her honor? To us and Clark she's something really special, but objectively, she wasn't even the mayor, or anything, just a nice lady who often helped a lot of people out here and there. Most people are lucky to get a stick in the ground by the side of the road for people to put flowers around. This is a dying town, so for them to have done anything at all is an effort. Like yes, a tiny plaque is a lovely memorial, but when someone who's poor as gently caress and can barely take care of themselves gives you a gift, you gotta appreciate the feeling behind it, right?

I get what twistedmentat said about how it was the easiest prop for the show to make, but this is not the kind of town that makes hundreds of trophies for their athletes. Town like this, athletes are gonna get those little red or blue prize ribbons that you buy in bulk, and they'll be lucky to have their name printed on it. Also they're not gonna get them in the first place because none of the local teams are ever gonna win anything. Town like this, people don't GET prizes and trophies and memorials. I grew up in a pretty small town like this. The only prize you get is when you figure out a way to leave and go live somewhere better.

It may have been a cheap move for the production team but it also fit the context.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

A Fancy Hat posted:

Really fun episode last night. This show (and the Arrowverse in general) just plain gets Superman in a way that a lot of people don't. I really like that he's torn between "Yay, my son has powers!" and "Oh crap, my son has powers."

Lana is kind of a terrible person, or at least really ignorant of what she's involved with. Did Edge say something about her getting promoted because of her work with reverse mortgages? What the hell, Lana. I know your husband sucks but you can be better than that.

I mean, she is a terrible person, and deep down she knows it and that's why she hates herself and her life, right?

I've been looking at her as someone who isn't necessarily evil, but is just kind of a.... small person? She never saw any need to reexamine her actions or belief systems and was happy to live the life that was handed to her, from cheerleader with the quarterback boyfriend to magna cum laude at a very small local state school to happy wife & mother working at the local bank for the rest of her life.

Except that she actually wasn't happy with it. Just pushing everything down further and further while making a show of being Nice Lady. It makes Lana work great as a comparison to her daughter Sarah, to show how far we've come with mental health stigma and just the general culture of emotional health.

Yes I realize I'm saying that Sarah, who tried to kill herself, is more healthy than the mom but poo poo at least Sarah is willing to accept that she has problems and talk to people about it. People like Sarah wake up one day and decide to kill themselves to end their misery, but people like Lana wake up one day and decide to kill themselves, AND everyone else in their family, to help keep them safe.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

edit: well that was the wrong thread

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 20, 2021

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

quantumfoam posted:

Jonathan and Jordan continue to out-act 99% of the other CW network shows actors. Sort of wondering if any of the plots or story elements from the 1980's Superboy tv series https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094559/episodes?ref_=tt_eps_sm will be dusted off for the twins.

I was interested in Jonathan potentially getting powers, but this episode kinda changed my mind on that. In between the writing and Jon's acting and everything else, these guys are totally competent enough to pull off a "Jonathan Kent as a normal human being" story and actually make it really compelling. I kinda wanna see them explore that now.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

"But why doesn't (x)-man help?" has applied to literally every comic for the last 80 years and no one ever cared. When the writers have a fun idea for a cross-over, they do it, and otherwise we just don't worry about it.

Just caught up on the last two episodes and this show is great. I think what gets me the most is just the consistency. Plenty of shows have good episodes, but I don't think this show has had one stinker so far.

Also the music is really good.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Followed him? At the end of the previous episode, Superman was severely weakened. The humans who'd been turned into Kryptonians all got turned back, but I think Edge was basically fine?

I wondered too, but he said that he followed him. Superman's been shown to be able to hear poo poo happening in other countries, so presumably an ability like that would be a good Edge if you're trying to follow someone

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That scene was great. It was really nice to see all the scenes from the pilot expanded. Tyler just kills the young Superman vibe. I hope they don't fall down the CW well into mediocre crap the other shows reign in.

Why can't they just use the same "make the show be good" machine they're using here on the rest of shows :sigh:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, it's pretty much canon in every version that Lois is the better actual journalist than Clark, and one of the most well-known in the world for her work even outside Supes. The reason in the comics that she and Clark can move to the country is because she's writing long form investigative books so she doesn't need to be in Metropolis full time.

One more thing they're knocking out of the park is making Lois really live up to being a title character, she really kicks rear end. Both as a journalist, but also just as a fearless beast of a woman. I loved seeing her run up to Atom Man and gently caress him up with a tazer to the face.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

https://twitter.com/NadriaTucker/status/1408072305960374276?s=19

Pretty worried about the future of the show with Tucker forced out.

Fuuuck, this all sucks so much, I didn't know about this: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nadria-tucker-cw-superman-and-lois-hollywood-toxicity_n_603d5eb8c5b6ff75ac3ea433

It's funny, I remember all the things she talks about that she fought against as being sorta borderline issues that I would notice, but I'd consider it, and think, "no, I think this is ok." Like, is this show TOO white? Hmm, I think it's ok, Kyle's very noticeably hispanic and Sarah's mixed and having an interracial relationship with Jon which is just played as normal, there are other PoC characters who aren't villains, you could even say the way they've portrayed Kal's background as an undocumented immigrant has been pretty positive. Nazis and racists are shown as villains, as in this episode with the metal mask guy. So it's like, "nah, it may be feel really heavily whitebread, but I don't think this show is racist"

Or like, I remember watching specific scenes with Lois and Lana talking about Morgan Edge, or with Lois and her boss Chrissy talking about Morgan Edge, and thinking, "does any of this show pass Bechdel?" Technically they were talking about a man, but... it didn't feel like they were just backup characters in a man's story, but rather, that Lois' investigation was a story of its own. Lois as a character could stand on her own. Same with Lana.

But it makes sense to me that these things were all borderline enough that they easily could have been toxic and lovely if we didn't have someone like Tucker pushing to make it better. Part of what makes this show so great is that they heavily lean into the feel-good, old timey american way stuff, but without the old-timey american racism and sexism and I don't want to see the show slip into that direction.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

They already used Livewire on Supergirl but I don't really care so long as they can get Lori Petty to come back and do her for live action. She's doing pretty good for almost 60!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

howe_sam posted:

It's a bad translation from the original Kryptonian.

It was MEANT to just be "a radicator", i.e. something that makes things Rad, it's just that Morgan Edge's dad is so cartoonishly evil that it sounds like "eradicator" coming from him. Poor guy, everyone always assumes the worst of him even when he's just trying to help save his people, just cause he LOOKS like a melting wax museum nazi general.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Meet Barry's secret family.

I dunno, adding in a character who calls Barry "Dad" out of nowhere doesn't sound like something the writers of that show would do.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

To an extremely uncharitable viewer, i.e. someone who already hates Lois because she is a successful woman (aka a greedy selfish bitch), it looks like she dishonestly exploited her sister's tragedy just to create a more exciting news story so she could get more money & fame. A crazy evil fox news type could construct a narrative like that, anyway.

Lois originally said that her claims about Allison's Allston's group being abusive and dangerous were backed up by a member, but really the opposite is true, and we're just supposed to take Lois' word for it. Which really is good enough, she's basically Christiane Amanpour or w/e, but I suppose she really should have framed it that way from the start. Like, say "I've investigated this group and they're a dangerous cult who are directly responsible for at least one death, believe me because I'll present my findings to back this up" instead of "believe me because one of the cult members spoke out anonymously"

Don't get me wrong, you're all right about this, none of this makes Lois or her story look bad to anyone unless they're completely crazy. Sadly, a lot of people are completely crazy. Or at least aren't familiar enough with how cults and grooming work to recognize that you can't just take Lucy's word that Allston is a nice lady.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

I guess the thing here is that Chrissy already knew most of this information. As far as I know, the only thing Chrissy didn't know was what Lucy thought was happening during her near suicide.

Oh yeah that's true for sure. But Beppo has been pretty cowardly and weak minded since season 1. I know that's harsh, but she really has been. Doesn't surprise me that she'd just fold and give in to the first authority figure who confronts her.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That is from a garbage run of Superman.

But, that's from All-Star Superman!

i'll fight you

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Look at this, absolutely everything that is Superman in a single page.

THIS is All Star Superman and it is untouchable. It brought a tear to my eye 16 years ago and it still resonates today. Every issue, every page. It's the perfect Superman story. Superman isn't about punching aliens or moving planets, he's about saving everyone. He's here to catch us when we fall.

Oooh, my bad I got confused. I thought I remembered a "stop the jumper" scene from All Star and when I did a brief google it seemed to confirm that memory. Didn't realize there were two scenes like that.

Mostly I just feel better knowing that there aren't people out there referring to All Star Superman as a "garbage run".

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I'm getting a little sick of how hypocritically Clark is treating Jon. When Clark had Bizarro captured, the legal authorities came to him and demanded he narc. But, Clark made his own decision instead, at least partially because he had someone that he wanted to protect. (remember that anderson straight-up told superman that Bizarro was sure as hell not getting a trial, and that's when Clark started to dig in on not giving him up)

So for Clark, making your own decisions about what is right is integrity, but for his son, doing what's right just means blindly listening to whoever's in charge (aka Dad). It's understandable, I'm sure it's scary as a father when your kid starts being an independent human being, starts being able to lie to you well enough that you can't tell, starts having secrets and parts of their life you don't know about, but you gotta let em at some point.

I know the Clark/Bizarro/Anderson situation wasn't exactly the same as the Jon/Candice/Clark situation, but the parallels were really noticeable since it was all happening in the very same episode so it just stuck out to me. Sucks that Clark gets to decide when his own kid says he needs to cover for someone else and won't give them up, that makes him a disappointment. He's just been really, really harsh.

Though, those little flaws like getting a little too mad and being a little too judgmental make him more interesting so I'm not saying the show is bad. He's just being a jerk and kinda not the best dad.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Jon is a child, children don't get to make decisions like that.

Superman is a civilian, civilians don't get to make decisions like that.

edit: To be less flippant, Jon followed the model of ethics his dad showed him and his dad basically told him he was a dirtbag for making the family look bad. And that sucks.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 23, 2022

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

TwoPair posted:

The only problem there is that by the time Clark captured Bizarro, Anderson had proved himself to be a shady motherfucker who had already gone behind his back and gotten kids killed as a result.

To Clark at least, he's never done anything to warrant Jon not trusting him.

That's fair, but the police and school have. Zero-tolerance expulsion isn't a constructive response for a student living under the poverty line who sold some steroids to jocks. Candice ruined the high school football season, she didn't kill anyone.

Jon believed that because he's a little more privileged, has a respectable family who cares about him etc, that he could probably get away with being blamed for selling drugs without being expelled, without charges being filed and having his life derailed and from what we've seen he's completely right.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

I mean he can half fly - he got all the way up there; he just needs to learn how to stay up and not fall back down.

Being able to fly, but only upwards, would be a great superpower. Like Daffy's "Now, folks, I can only do this once" magic trick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Tiggum posted:

There's a big difference between a stranger wandering around a crowded street (when you've got other stuff occupying your attention) and your best friend standing right in front of you (talking to you).

It was especially noticeable because they had the scene in Old McMurphy's abandoned meathook factory where Supes comes to save Lana from Jon, and initially, he enters through a dimly lit doorway. And even as he approaches her, it's still pretty murky and she can't really make out his face, like they show it from her perspective and it's clear that she probably wouldn't be able to tell that it's Clark.

But then they have her do surgery on him while looking him directly in the eyes from about 18 inches away while having a several minute long conversation, and she still doesn't notice. And like, she had just seen the dude when they met outside the restaurant. Just pushes suspension of disbelief a little.

But I still don't care, because the ending was a nice moment for all of us old Smallville fans. :3: