Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Chicken Butt posted:

Too bad there wasn’t a French person at that table with Fermi and the gang, they would have immediately proposed ennui as a solution to the paradox.

I'm not imagining an alien with a beret in a striped shirt, looking out of his spaceship window, smoking, slowly blinking and then sighing deeply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

In addition: an organism that could live forever would over time be less adapted to its environment and lose competition to organisms that are better-adapted.

I mean, imagine boomers living forever and doddering through each new wave of technology until they accidentally set themselves on fire or fry their brains.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Not yet and even though it looks pretty dire right now, it's not guaranteed that we will be extinct even after triggering the 6th.

as an aside, I wonder how future archaeologists will classify quotes like this while poking through the digital rubble of Late Stage Capitalist Apocalypse ruins: "hmm yes, this is an interesting opinion by ate poo poo on live tv, clearly the name of a great mind of their time that suggests refinement and intellectual discipline."

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Speleothing posted:

There are at least five modern wild animal groups that have a sort of intelligence and society.

Whales, dolphins, primates, corvids, & parrots.

Sounds like an evolutionary trait that comes up from time to time. And that's not counting the social animals that aren't very smart or the smart animals that aren't social.

How social are cephalopods?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Another thing that occurred to me: isn't a barrier to, say, cetacean tool development that they could never master fire? Seems like a pretty big requirement to develop advanced tools.