Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Being able to travel the universe freely and realizing its the same everywhere and soooooo boring happen at the same point in a civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
SETI searches being done today are looking for advertised radio beams that would be deliberately sent out. We don't try to eavesdrop because it would be practically impossible at any reasonable distance.

Since we want to find a deliberate contact attempt the radio signals we calibrate around are where the optimal energy efficiency for broadcasting exists, a few ghz, in the microwave band. We look for frequencies like 21cm which have special physical meaning thats separated from human social pieces.

For SETI to work we would need a powerful radio beam to fall directly on the solar system and even then we're talking about 100 or 1000 light years of realistic distance. We might be capable of seeing signals from 10⁵ stars with our very best radio telescopes. Compare to 10¹² stars in the milky way.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Thats not really true. For an ordinary TV broadcast on earth the signal is going to be too weak to detect even at the closest stars. Eventually you'd just be collecting single photons and it would be impossible with any technology to discover information in the signal. In practical energy terms you have to ask why some alien would be beaming signals out at a strength where they're interpretable at multiple light years distance. It wouldn't be by accident.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I don't know about this number you have, but surely it must be the far side only? It's pretty hard to wiggle a meteor in between the earth and the near side.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I don't really understand why aging is a thing. Has aging evolved separately in multiple species or does it all stem from a single lineage of telomere having dumbasses?

From the perspective of life being for a reduction of an entropy gradient I don't see a specific reason you'd need aging, but from the perspective of genetic drift and selection being good for survival I guess it makes sense as one possible solution.

If there's a good reason aging exists then it could make sense that for all life there's an optimal life expectancy. Imagine if you could understand the reason for it to be any specific number. For example, what if the optimal life expectancy is comparable to the average duration between catastrophic events? We could guess that life spans shouldn't be orders of magnitude more or less than the the periods of stability that are normal for whatever organism we're talking about.

Taking that further, maybe you could have some physical conditions that are typical for a planet that tell you that catastrophic events are likely to take place every 1,5, or 10 years, whatever, but very very unlikely to only happen every 100, or 1000 years, and this builds in a typical lifespan of life in the universe. Then you combine that typical lifespan with typical distances between systems being on the order of hundreds or thousands of light years, and an inescapable speed limit for travel, and you solve the fermi paradox.

Notably for earth conditions are incredibly stable. Some areas had seasons where you can predict week by week the average temperature for decades at a time. You could really have 10,20,50 years with no major disruptions and this is on the same order as human lifespan.

It would be interesting if intelligent life had lifespans of 10 years or 100 years and not 1 second, or 100,000,000 years anyway I'm pretty high.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Why does everyone assume that humans aren't special? Is that just one of the postulates Fermi requires for his paradox? I think we are genetic badasses that are the culmination of the survival of at least 5 mass extinction events over billions of years. That's pretty loving special.

If 1 in 100,000,000,000 habitable planets have some species as smart as humans then there are like 5-10 billion intelligent species in the part of the universe we can observe.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I just looked up any estimate for habitable planets in our galaxy and then multiplied it by an estimate of how many galaxies are in the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The estimate could be off by like 9 or 10 orders of magnitude and it would still suggest we're still not alone in the universe. That's the whole point of the drake equation and the fermi paradox.