Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

They built the best rocket engines in the world and the US has only just now maybe caught up with be-4 and raptor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Yup n-1 died and Saturn v lived by sheer coincidence on both sides. It's a miracle Apollo 8 didn't explode during boost

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Pogo oscillation, but I got my numbers wrong - 6 was the rough one and they improved it over the course of the program. N-1 just got totally wrecked by pogo but imo that could've just as easily been early Apollo flights

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

They figured out ox rich staged combustion in... The 60s? It requires v advanced materials design, turbomach, and combustion devices that afaik we didn't have much to show for until the integrated powerhead demonstrator at the earliest and didn't realize in a booster class engine until be-4 and raptor. To be fair ssme was and remains an outstanding accomplishment in its own right and if I had to sit on top of a rocket I'd much rather have it on the bottom than anything from Russia

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

So what does oxygen-rich staged combustion do for you that makes it "better?" More impulse? Lower engine weight? Easier control? Less complexity? What advantages of oxygen-rich staged combustion give you over fuel-rich, which is (as I understand it) what most of the American engines were using once they stopped dumping their gas generator exhaust straight out of the bell...

For reasons I don't understand it gives you Better Isp, second only to full flow (I think?) but I don't really remember why but this post has some links that sound promising https://space.stackexchange.com/questions/22947/what-are-the-advantages-of-ox-rich-staged-combustion#22950