Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

More from Issue 39, Oct 1980: https://archive.org/details/starlog_magazine-039

----------------------------------------------------
WHO'S THE OTHER?
... I suggest Princess Leia. She is young enough for the training; she withstood Darth Vader's tor- tures; she is dedicated to the cause; Princess Leia, not Lando, "heard" Luke's cries for help; Han Solo is not in shape to be going anywhere for a while and he is too old. I wouldn't be surprised if in the third film, Leia, instead of Luke, destroys the Emperor. Of course, it will be the year 2000 before we find out.
Keith Hoffman
1221 Campbell Ave.
New Carlisle, OH 45344

. . . Could it be Vader himself? Considering that there was an equilibrium of power between the good and dark sides of the Force, it would not be impossible to turn Vader into the antithesis of what he is now, especially if Luke (who, except for Yoda may be the most powerful member of the good side of the Force) is truly his son.
Bill Smith
Rt. 1 Box 66
BIythewood.SC 29016

----------------------------------------------------

This is easily my favorite piece of speculation from star wars fandom. It just rules so much to look back on this, since I cannot remember a time when I didn't know the broad plot beats for the originals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

...H. R. Giger, the Swiss surrealist artist who designed the beast... says of the alien, "...Once seen, it will never be forgotten. It will remain with peo- ple who have seen it, perhaps in their dreams or nightmares, for a long, long time. Perhaps for all time. I even dream about the alien myself— so much that I'm often frightened of going to sleep." Before Giger's awesome statements can be dis- missed as exaggeration, it would be wise to view his previous work.

Well, credit where credit's due.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lemniscate Blue posted:

For the life of me I cannot understand how Harlan Ellison never received the Ken McElroy treatment. The man was absolutely toxic, and fandom in general and many of his fellow authors and creators in particular just seemed to treat it like a charming quirk.

The majority of what he did was yell at other people in public and then brag about how much he pissed them off. Because most of what he did was in public and he was completely unapologetic about it, most of the American methods of social opprobrium basically don't work. He never backed down so you couldn't just bully him, and he never said he was kind or compassionate or anything other than provocative so there's not much room to call him out for hypocrisy.