Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Rad-daddio posted:

They also use ground up corpse bone(allograft) in spinal fusion surgeries.

Also some ACL repairs are done with ligaments harvested from donor bodies.

I'd heard of the second one, but I didn't know they used the allograft in spinal fusion!

E: A shameful no content snipe. I'll throw a couple stories in my next post when I can sit down to type.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Some fusion cages use more than others. The titanium ones are just a mesh cage packed with the stuff. IIRC, that's the one that lowtax had implanted.

...so if any of you really want to hate lowtax more just imagine him filled to the brim with human corpse bone sludge.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Alright, took a bit but here's a couple more. I think I've posted one or both in other threads here before but oh well.

So first up is from way back when I was tracking down this guy who was a real piece of work: child abuser, meth slinger, thief (primarily stole from the less fortunate iirc), etc. We've got him pretty much nailed down to a few places, but we know for sure he's been living with his father in law for the past many weeks and know he'd been there in the last day, he'd been seen there for the past week all the time. So we roll up, knock on the door, look in the windows and there's no one to be seen. Well, the windows were open so it's not like he didn't see us roll up. It's an apartment complex, the other residents talk to us and they're worried about the old man but absolutely want the guy we're looking for gone. They're not fans, not really surprising aside from the fact that he'd made his presence known more than someone who's hiding probably should. Continue to knock, verbally announce that we're there to pick him up. Head around back and the screen door to the place is open, which is odd. The old man has a truck that the guy we're looking for has apparently been using, it's parked out back in the normal spot. At this point the whole situation is weird as gently caress and we get ok'd to check out what the hell is up with this specific place because there's so much wrong with the situation and the old man has not been seen in days which is odd for him according to the other people that know him there, they talk to him often and not seeing him is troubling. So, we go in, checking the rooms and get to the main bedroom. I peek the corner and the old man is lying on the bed backwards just in some small shorts or whatever and COMPLETELY still. He's discolored, but the lighting is poo poo so it's hard to tell from where I'm at. At this point I said gently caress it and went to check on him. Dude is gone, has been for a bit (later determined to be 2-3 days, it's winter and the heat was turned basically off in the place) but he's not as bloated as I'd expect. Up closer the discoloration and smell is plainly evident, but still not near what I'd expect normally. The guy I'm with is freaking out, he's never been around anyone that's passed on outside of going to a funeral. Headed back out with him to calm him down and get the old man called in so that he can be laid to rest. I know this story isn't so much gory, but the part that pisses me off the most is that we found out that the old man was diabetic and cause of death was from not taking his insulin, which the guy we were after knew about and was there with him for at least 2 days after he died. It's loving sad, and I can't help but wonder if there was more to it. The other guy I was working with was shook about it for a long time, I talked to him about it a lot and I hope he got therapy for it but we lost touch a while back. Last I talked with him it seemed he was doing much better, so maybe.

Second up is when I was emergency response at a production facility. We got the alarm just a bit before shift change for a medical emergency, and I ran from where I was to location. Right outside the room was a young man sitting on the stairs looking completely hosed and in shock, dude was new and I want to say I think this was his first full time job. Three of my colleagues were already in the room and had taken vitals and just started CPR, so I get in the rotation as well for compressions because there's just enough space for us to at least do that. The gentleman we're attending to is quite old, obese, and has had multiple heart surgeries. He's not cold, but cooler than he should be, skin is pale and off-colored, and his eyes are still open. 30 minutes in and there's no change aside from the ribs that have broken and the liquid that has oozed out of the mouth (which smells absolutely fuckawful) but the policy is that we can't stop CPR until the paramedics arrive. I know the guy is gone, the other person doing compressions seems to know, but our guy manning the AED is either completely unaware or in denial. 15 more minutes goes by and the ambulance and crew arrive finally. We cede responsibility to them and they check vitals and call the coroner. AED guy is pretty hosed up now, and the young guy outside is still being attended to. We get our timeline and notes together to pass on to the coroner and to submit internally. Can't leave until everything is wrapped up, so we gather what other info we can to hopefully at least help later. Come to find out our guy had been missing for a while, he'd been dead/dying for 3-4 hours before he was found (dead at that point). The cleaning crew didn't have a 2-person rule, which holy gently caress why the hell not that is absurd and absolutely awful especially in the environment we work in, so there's a chance he could've lived. Given his medical history, it was not a great chance, but it was there.

Anyway, I know those weren't gory so much as they were really hosed up situations. They belong here imo because there aren't a lot of people that see non-fresh corpses that haven't been attended to for funerals. It's been my experience that it truly spooks the hell out of quite a few folks, especially just how unnatural the body looks after passing. I can't really blame them, but I honestly don't know that there's anything you can do to prepare someone for the possibility anyway without direct exposure. The other part is just how much of a gently caress some people just don't give about others. Story 1 is self explanatory and gently caress that guy for doing not a goddamn thing for his FIL. Story 2 boils down to "lol capitalism, why pay 2 people to be safe when it's cheaper to staff 1 and oh well if they have an accident it's not our fault" bullshit. At least in the last one the rules were made very clear to all the contractors that YES YOU DO HAVE TO FOLLOW 2 PERSON SAFETY WTF, and that was that.

Next post will probably be a grab bag unless I remember something that follows a theme again. Memory ain't what it used to be.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have a story I’ve told on here that’s similar to that.

quote:

So, last night the other crew got called to a nursing home for a adult female with a low pulse ox reading. That's an annoying one at nursing homes, because usually it means a CNA saw a low number and called 911 without doing anything. If you readjust the pulse ox, or sit the person with CHF up so they aren't drowining in their own fluids anymore, usually the number goes right back up and they don't want to go to the hospital.

Well, this was not one of those times. 2 minutes later, right around when the crew was making the turn into the parking lot, the tones went off in the building again. Only this time, it was "a second crew to back up the first crew on a possible cardiac arrest". I don't know what it is about nursing homes, but the most hosed calls always have the easiest sounding dispatches.

We got there, and the other crew- 2 EMTs, a paramedic, and an EMT student observer- are doing CPR. I see pads on the patient, but the staff is loving nowhere to be found. Later, I found out that the CNA's had put the AED on the patient, and then proceeded to do nothing. No CPR, no ventilations (they didn't even know what a BVM was when the first medic asked for one), nothing. At this point, the first medic has them on the monitor, which is showing as asystole. Flatline. Not shockable. The observer went to get the backboard so we could do CPR on the stretcher during transport, I start in on bagging the patient while another EMT does compressions. Medic #1 gets lines in- the first one was usable but dependant on position, and the second was perfect. The observer gets back with the board, we get moving, and medic #1 does the first shot o' epinepherine. So far, it's a little chaotic but nothing out there.

In the ambulance, it's basically Medic #1 down towards the feet doing meds, Medic #2 up top trying to intubate, and the other EMT and I are on the left and right of the patient switching between who's bagging and who's doing pushy-pushy every two minutes. The observer is taking times and letting medic #1 know when three minutes have elapsed so he can do another epi dose. Where the story really starts to get, uh, interesting, is on the first tube attempt.

See, this lady was almost seventy, had parkinsons, and was senile. She wasn't exactly flossing religiously. Not a "brush thrice a day" type. Her dental health loving sucked, is what I'm getting at. The laryngascope blade that was being used to try to see her vocal chords straight up pushed three of her teeth to a 90 degree angle. They were loose, and an airway threat, so they had to go.

So I had to reach into a dead woman's mouth and do some amateur dentistry. Feeling those teeth come out was, if it wasn't the grossest thing I've ever felt, at least a solid top 3. At least I knew the compressions the other EMT was doing were pretty decent, being as that she was perfusing well enough to bleed!

First tube went into the esophagous, so air went into her stomach. That's not that uncommon for intubation attempts, and this lady's anatomy was pretty bad. She had seized earlier in the day, so her tongue was all swollen, so the medic couldn't visualize what he was doing at all. The second attempt had the same thing happen, and at this point, we were suctioning a vomit/blood mix from her mouth. It was pretty nasty, but about to get worse.

See, I can do CPR pretty well in a moving ambulance, but it's still a moving ambulance. You hit bumps and need to go around turns. One or the other happened while I was compressing, and my hands moved. The force from my compressions went onto her stomach. Her full-of-air stomach.

I had a corpse puke its last meal mixed with the blood from when I tore some teeth out of its face, directly into my eyes and nose. I was very happy I had my mouth closed. . Medic #2 ended up dumping hand sanitizer into a towel, and just yelled "SHUT YOUR EYES AND MOUTH!" before scrubbing my face with it, while I still did compressions.

The ER doc ended up having the exact same thing happen in the ER while he made his own attempt to intubate, so both of us had to sit around for three hours while the hospital tried to convince the family to do a blood draw so they could test for Hep C and HIV. The family refused, even though two people trying to, you know, bring mom back from the dead, could really use that information. It was for religious reasons, just like the lack of DNR. I don't get the whole "only god decides when it's time for you to go, so please go through extreme measures to bring them back from the dead" thing. This came out a bit longer than I originally intended, but oh well.

Jeez, it’s been like five years to the day on that one.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Not particularly bloody, but somewhat gross. I worked in the lab at the local hospital. They were in the process of building a new set of medical offices on the lot next door. The foundations had been poured, and the walls (cinder blocks) were just being laid down. They had one or two rows up. We had a patient brought in who had been arrested and was definitely under the influence of something. He was really agitated but not responding to our inquiries. They called me down to take the blood samples, because he would not hold still, and I'm good with that kind of situation. We got the sample, and I went back to the lab. when I came back to bring the results to the doctor (This was before computer network reporting), things were really going to hell. It appeared that the patient had managed to slip his handcuff and had disappeared.

The cop who was at his side had taken a break, and the patient had managed to work his hand out of the cuff (with quite a bit of blood loss). They sent us out to see if we could find him. Not approach, but just to let the police know where he was. We found him after about 15 minutes. He was in the construction site. He had tripped and fallen. He hit his head on a cinderblock wall, ripped his scalp open, which bled copiously and knocked himself unconscious. The kicker was he had fallen into a 3 inch deep puddle of water from the rain earlier in the day. He landed face down and drowned. So when we found him he was in a pool of bloody water, dead with a huge rip on his forehead and scalp. Not a pleasant sight. Not sure what he felt, seeing how he had a mixture of several drugs in his system. Probably didn't notice anything and knocked himself out cold and died...

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I made content for this thread today!

This afternoon I was doing various pool-cleaning chores. I pulled the skimmer basket out with the intention of hosing all the random leaf and pollen debris out of it after I finished a few other things. Like an idiot, I left the lid off my skimmer. While using the net to haul even more pollen up from the water's depths (all my neighbors' trees can go straight to hell), I naturally missed my footing and stepped right into the open skimmer.

I stumbled and banged my shin and fell back on my rear end to discover a hole about 1cm wide and deep in the middle of my shin. I think I saw my own subcutaneous fat for the first time. Then it started bleeding like a motherfucker and my mind kind of shut down and I couldn't bring myself to look long enough to see if there was exposed bone. Instead I got up and put the skimmer basket back in and closed the skimmer up, then went and locked the gate because I was pretty sure my partner was going to freak out and take me to the hospital and I didn't want to leave the pool gate unlocked when there are kids roaming the neighborhood. Then I leaned inside and yelled for my partner to please come help and bring paper towels.

Since I did these stupid little tasks before calling for help or taking any action to stop the bleeding I of course lost more blood than was necessary. My partner determined it wasn't a hospital-worthy injury, and cleaned and bandaged everything for me. Then he had to hose a bunch of blood off the deck and help me clean a substantial quantity of dried blood from my arms and legs. Then I got to sit on the couch and drink a sprite! :) Going to have it looked at by a professional in the morning. Now I can say I put my sweat AND blood into pool maintenance

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

coronatae posted:

I made content for this thread today!

This afternoon I was doing various pool-cleaning chores. I pulled the skimmer basket out with the intention of hosing all the random leaf and pollen debris out of it after I finished a few other things. Like an idiot, I left the lid off my skimmer. While using the net to haul even more pollen up from the water's depths (all my neighbors' trees can go straight to hell), I naturally missed my footing and stepped right into the open skimmer.

I stumbled and banged my shin and fell back on my rear end to discover a hole about 1cm wide and deep in the middle of my shin. I think I saw my own subcutaneous fat for the first time. Then it started bleeding like a motherfucker and my mind kind of shut down and I couldn't bring myself to look long enough to see if there was exposed bone. Instead I got up and put the skimmer basket back in and closed the skimmer up, then went and locked the gate because I was pretty sure my partner was going to freak out and take me to the hospital and I didn't want to leave the pool gate unlocked when there are kids roaming the neighborhood. Then I leaned inside and yelled for my partner to please come help and bring paper towels.

Since I did these stupid little tasks before calling for help or taking any action to stop the bleeding I of course lost more blood than was necessary. My partner determined it wasn't a hospital-worthy injury, and cleaned and bandaged everything for me. Then he had to hose a bunch of blood off the deck and help me clean a substantial quantity of dried blood from my arms and legs. Then I got to sit on the couch and drink a sprite! :) Going to have it looked at by a professional in the morning. Now I can say I put my sweat AND blood into pool maintenance

Do shins even have Sub-Q fat?? OUCH
:sympathy:

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I have no idea, that was my guess but I was going into mild shock at the time so I can't remember what exactly I saw. We used up all the gauze in the house on this one so I'm not removing it until the doc can take a peek. If I can bring myself to look tomorrow I'll report back

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Shock is great until it isn't. About a decade ago I had a bad car wreck (rolled at 60ish mph) and when I got out of my car I looked down at the gaping hole in my left forearm and said "well that's new" to the EMTs, who were convinced I had a head injury.

This is the scar that's left over:

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Update: I looked at it today and it was much more shallow than it seemed at the time. Guessing some tissue also closed back up as well. Anyways no stiches needed, just a tetanus booster and some standard wound care :)

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Glad that didn't turn out really bad for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

So, this is from last year, still training K-9 units.

First two pics are from me pairing on explosive odors, calling the dog back while jogging in reverse, then hitting a workout bench at speed. It was hilarious but the story is dumb because I'm dumb.

Last pic is probably torn poo poo in my leg that I didn't get looked at. Was training an EDD/Protection K-9 and I tripped on a root after I caught him on the sleeve. Big motherfucker dodged all the trees and hit like a train. I fuckin love it, but injuries abound. You expect live bites (when the dog hits you and not the training equipment) and super fun punctures and crushed bones, but loving tripping on a root?! gently caress me running, which is what I was doing since it was a long bite. Bastard ran 30m to gently caress me up.

As always, I've got more stories as I remember and find the old pics.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 22, 2021