Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
:monar:

well just gonna poke my head on in here for a minute...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
I came in to work one night (I work in the medical field) and there was a flurry of activity. One of the patients decided to slice the top of their forearm way the hell open, a good 4-5" and deep.

That was the day I learned subq fat looks like congealed cheese in tomato sauce; a cross section of a still somewhat frozen hot pocket, if you will.

I have a pic of it somewhere. If I stumble across it while this thread is active I'll update.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Fat Albert in a can posted:

I came in to work one night (I work in the medical field) and there was a flurry of activity. One of the patients decided to slice the top of their forearm way the hell open, a good 4-5" and deep.

That was the day I learned subq fat looks like congealed cheese in tomato sauce; a cross section of a still somewhat frozen hot pocket, if you will.

I have a pic of it somewhere. If I stumble across it while this thread is active I'll update.

very cool

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Thank you friend, always good for one of your work stories!

What the hell did they use to slice themselves up with though? That's a good bit of flesh to remove.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

OMFG FURRY posted:

:monar:

well just gonna poke my head on in here for a minute...

I remember this hitting the news. I'll post the context this time, but let's not just drop random poo poo in here without. Goatman doesn't count because it's internalized.

News Article posted:

After caring for a 32-year-old horse in declining health, a woman identified by police as Jasha Lottin and her boyfriend, John Frost, put it down with a single gunshot from a large calibre rifle.

What they did next has sparked “extreme emotional reactions,” and even death threats.

“People are shocked ... horrified. It’s extremely shocking,” Washington County Sgt. Dave Thompson told The Huffington Post.

Once the couple shot and gutted the horse, 21-year-old Lottin took off her clothing, climbed inside the carcass and took photos. After posting them online, the couple was met with an avalanche of criticism that lead to a police investigation for animal cruelty.

As well as photos of Lottin inside the horse’s body, there are many others, one of which appears to depict the couple posing with the animal’s heart.

The couple’s explanation for the photos — and later eating the animal? According to authorities at the department, the pair wanted to feel “one with the horse” and nature.

“This is definitely number one on the oddity list,” Thompson said. “It’s like nothing I’ve ever seen before.”

According to the incident report obtained by The Huffington Post, detectives ruled no charges would be filed against the pair since nothing they did is technically illegal in the state of Oregon.

“The fact that this woman crawled into the horse between killing and eating does not constitute a crime,” Thompson said.

“If they had killed the horse just for the purpose of taking the photographs, then we would have had a case for animal cruelty,” he added

Lottin’s mother told KOIN that since the incident, they have received death threats and other hostile messages from people countrywide, accusing her daughter of everything from Satan worship to perversion.

According to Thompson, both Lottin and Frost have currently left the state temporarily. While there are strict U.S. laws against desecration of human bodies, actions with animal bodies have little to no regulation.

The internet poo poo itself for a while on that one, until the news let it die.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Can we complain about non-bloody injuries in here? Sprained my ankle a few weeks ago and it's still kind of sore. Landed on the side of my foot.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

PathAsc posted:

Thank you friend, always good for one of your work stories!

What the hell did they use to slice themselves up with though? That's a good bit of flesh to remove.

:tipshat:

They used a piece of a razorblade they picked up when they had a visit home earlier that day.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
One time one of my coworkers was called to deal with an "accidently fired LAW rocket" as that's what we did in the army. This was overseas.

So these are tubes with a single rocket in them that you just sort of toss after you fire. Often the empty, fired tubes are kept to use for training, not a bad idea, since carrying around a live one to train with could be dangerous.

Anyway no one told him before he arrived, but when he got there he found a rocket stuck in the wall of a room flooded with blood and gore. Turns out, during a random training event someone decided to show how good they were at firing a LAW but grabbed a live one and shot it into some random dude in the room.

Luckily they are designed to not explode if they impact within a short distance after launch but a piece of metal being rocketing out of a tube is still dangerous.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

im not really good at telling stories but i was a surgical tech some amount of years and our hospital had a particularly terrible obgyn surgeon crew. anyway they hosed some poo poo up and we had a return customer whos intestines prolapsed out through their vagina. that was absolutely in the the top five most whack things ive ever observed personally. intestines coming out of a vagina. i didnt get paid enough to do that job.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

:tipshat:

They used a piece of a razorblade they picked up when they had a visit home earlier that day.

That's dedication

A Bakers Cousin posted:

One time one of my coworkers was called to deal with an "accidently fired LAW rocket" as that's what we did in the army. This was overseas.

So these are tubes with a single rocket in them that you just sort of toss after you fire. Often the empty, fired tubes are kept to use for training, not a bad idea, since carrying around a live one to train with could be dangerous.

Anyway no one told him before he arrived, but when he got there he found a rocket stuck in the wall of a room flooded with blood and gore. Turns out, during a random training event someone decided to show how good they were at firing a LAW but grabbed a live one and shot it into some random dude in the room.

Luckily they are designed to not explode if they impact within a short distance after launch but a piece of metal being rocketing out of a tube is still dangerous.

What's the backblast on those things like? I was only ever around AT-4 and SMAW stuff. I never had a chance to see the M202A1 or dragon (even though there are Marines who swear the M202A1 is the dragon) before it was phased out for the javelin. I can't imagine those in the area came out unscathed either. Obviously not near as physically harmed, but still not without a real chance of horrible poo poo going down.

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

im not really good at telling stories but i was a surgical tech some amount of years and our hospital had a particularly terrible obgyn surgeon crew. anyway they hosed some poo poo up and we had a return customer whos intestines prolapsed out through their vagina. that was absolutely in the the top five most whack things ive ever observed personally. intestines coming out of a vagina. i didnt get paid enough to do that job.

I can see this in my head, and OMG. I don't have the knowledge, how the gently caress did they oopsie that surgery? Did they weaken the wall in there or just absolutely botch stitching? gently caress man, that's abysmally bad.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

PathAsc posted:

That's dedication

What's the backblast on those things like? I was only ever around AT-4 and SMAW stuff. I never had a chance to see the M202A1 or dragon (even though there are Marines who swear the M202A1 is the dragon) before it was phased out for the javelin. I can't imagine those in the area came out unscathed either. Obviously not near as physically harmed, but still not without a real chance of horrible poo poo going down.

Yeah I'm sure there were some serious injuries from the blast

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I always go to my wife's grandma's house on Thanksgiving, and as you know black Friday starts that night now for whatever evil reason. She lives tucked back off a four lane road with a middle turning lane which gets very busy and is poorly lit. Anyway a few years ago we were leaving her house after Thanksgiving dinner and as we were driving (in the rain) a dude ran out from the side of the street and es creamed by a big van. It sent him flying back off to the side and his shoes flew off into outer space. I wanted to stop to help him but my wife was too freaked out so I just called 912 and gave them directions to where we was. Van didn't stop either so k gave them their information. I always wonder if the dude was alright but I didn't see it in the news so I hope he survived.

Nother time on that same road I was at that same grandma's house helping her out up Christmas decorations when I heard a huge boom like a bomb going off. I went outside and saw a wrecked car kind of slowly lurching to a stop in front of her house, with a loose tire bouncing down the road and everything. Upon closer inspection I saw that someone had crashed their car into a house a little down the road. Ling story short, nobody was killed, the car pushed two kids sitting on a sofa across the living room (it entered the house right behind them). The driver was like a 12 year old girl who stole the car from her mom and told the police "I wanted to kill people".

Edit: Here's some other stuff while I'm thinking of it. I just got my second covid shot and can't sleep.

My mom used to be a social worker and in a facility she worked at there was an old lady in a wheelchair who had a prolapsed uterus just hanging there. Cannot confirm this, this is just what she told me.

In high school there was a long hallway that ended in a window that was reinforced with wire (the glass had a cross cross pattern of wires inside the glass to make it stronger) and some of the kids on the last day of school started running up and down the hall super fast and bracing themselves on the window at the end. Finally one kid's hands went through and we're cut to ribbons by the glass and wire, it was gross and there was blood dripping all down the hall.

i must compose fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 26, 2021

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Come on, you don't really believe this, do you? Do you really think all the people who watched beheading videos, or videos on Ogrish, etc., came out better people because of it? Or that someone reading a GBS poster's story about getting injured in a motorcycle accident (just an example) will make them think "hey, I really need to reevaluate my stance re: killing my enemies?"

At this point in our lives, all of us will have seen someone die and/or be badly injured, either personally or on video/in pictures--we know how this poo poo works, gore isn't a profound mystery.

If you really wanted to have a thread that might make people "treat each other better and stop wishing death on others," it would be one focused on the effect violence and death had on survivors. But it doesn't sound like that's what you intend this to be.

I mean, I'm not necessarily strongly opposed to a gore thread, but this kind of attempt at a high-minded justification for it kind of sticks in the craw a bit.

Yeah that's not my intent at all I don't think looking at hosed up videos on the internet makes you a good person. I'm talking about the forums and really GBS specifically, there is this propensity to just wish death on everyone we don't like. It bothers me and I think that people maybe have some poo poo they need to talk out or something because its hosed up. The effects of violence and death on survivors is absolutely something that can and should be discussed here.

I know this is a thin line and OP knows that through no fault of their own this can easily be closed. But I do think a lot people are more insulated from this type of stuff than you think, and talking about it in a hopefully respectful way could be good.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

One of my family is in the army, in Iraq I think he worked as a vehicle engineer/ general technician. He said a truck came in after a roadside IED and he had to pull embedded teeth out of the cab roof. Another soldier (maybe before Iraq, I can't remember) caught some sort of stomach bug so bad that he spent his entire deployment literally making GBS threads his guts out and getting them poked back up. He got a medal for it, though :toot:

Another family story that sticks with me is my mum's ex-MIL going to a nursing home. The carers were so rough handling her that they broke her spine putting her in a chair and left her screaming. She went downhill very rapidly and died not long after.

DrSnakeLaser fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 26, 2021

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I posted about this a couple years back, but I co-founded an orthopedics design company. We recently finished and got FDA clearance for a knee implant system(implant and instruments) that was mostly my design.

When you develop implants, you have to do a certain amount of testing on cadavers. Not just for the FDA approval, but also for your own research to help improve your device and the instruments used to implant it. We tested on four different cadaver legs, the final one we used to also showcase the implant to a potential partner.

We used a company called the Anatomy Gift Registry. Basically, you call them up and request whatever part of the cadaver you need and they send it to you on a leased basis. You do whatever you need to with the cadaver parts, and send them back. You can't technically own a cadaver or part of one, since the bodies that the parts come from were donated to science. They also send this weird apparatus that looks like a meat roasting pan with a metal post and a vice mounted to the top. This is so you can hold the cadaver leg to do your testing. Also, it's really cool to see how respectful surgeons are with the cadaver parts. The general consensus is that someone donated their body to help people learn and conduct research and even the most callous scalpel jockeys take that very serious.

I'll post my experiences with the various cadaver legs, and I'll include a pic of the one that I can actually show. As it turns out, most of the images I have stored have our instruments in them and it would violate my NDA to show them.

Cadaver 1:

We got this one sent to us, and we used it and sent it back the same day. We used the knee for testing our cutting guides, and also to try out some various porous ingrowth patterns that we were developing.
This leg was somewhat ripe, since we ordered it the middle of summer and it got left in a UPS warehouse all day. Oddly enough, this cadaver part came with a little spritzing bottle with some kind of fragrant disinfectant spray. I poo poo you not, the bottle was labeled "CORPSE FRESHENING SPRAY" and it was with loving comic sans font. I still regret not getting a pic of that.

Cadaver 2:

I was pissed about this one, since UPS hosed up again and I had to drive two hours to go pickup the thing at their distribution center. Just to get even, when the guy came out with my box, I told him it had a human leg in it and he dropped the box and wiped his hands on his shirt. Heh...

We had to water thaw this one, since we were under a deadline and we had to get some surgeon feedback from a doc who was leaving the next day. Also, This leg had an odd smell. It was like raw chicken if you left it in your fridge for a week. Not fully rotten, but you could tell there was something growing in it. The weird thing about this one was when we were finished the surgeon "fully exposed" the leg, which means that he took a scalpel and with two quick swipes all the skin and subcutaneous fat just dropped off the leg like it was a magic trick. All that was left was the muscle, this was so that we could see how the implant sizing affected the soft tissue of the leg(muscles, ligaments etc). it was a very :stare: moment for me.

Cadaver 3:

This one was kind of loaned out to us from another ortho company. They were showcasing their own device, and we sort of asked to tag in on their cadaver leg since they were basically done with it. This thing was tiny. It was from a little elderly woman who was bedridden for years, and it looked like a large turkey drumstick. Also, her bone was so degenerated that we couldn't even properly test some aspects of our implant. It was still an interesting experience, though. Also, this leg was dried out and desiccated, like it was being prepped for taxidermy. idk if that was just a random thing or it was a deliberate prep thing they did to this leg.

Cadaver 4:

This one was for a showcase to possible investors. It was a full leg from a woman about my age(late 30s), who apparently died in a car accident. This one was also frozen solid, so we had to hot water thaw it and we barely made it in time for the presentation. I was the one who had to take it up to the fridge where we keep the other two legs we still have. It was severed at the hip joint, so it weighed a decent amount. It might have been the lack of sleep from stress, but something about this woman's cadaver leg really hit me emotionally. Here I was holding this leg wrapped in white plastic and it felt way more human than the other ones.

Anyhoo, the next day we're doing a whole mock surgery with our implant set and we have the whole operating room filled with other surgeons, investors, execs and other important people. I had to make some last minute modifications to one of the instruments, so I was operating on about two hours of sleep for the last two days.

They uncover the leg and get it positioned, and I saw that there was still nail polish on the cadaver's toenails. It was sort of pink. I just recall thinking that this woman painted her toenails, unaware that that was the last time she'd be doing it, and it hit me really hard. So, I ended up coming perilously close to full on ugly crying in front of all those big wigs. That leg still haunts me, and it reminds me how fleeting life truly is.

Thanks for reading my wall of text. If you made it this far, feel free to look at this cadaver leg on the way out.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

PathAsc posted:

That looks pretty deep, did you hit bone or damage any other connective tissue?

Surprisingly, according to the doctor I just went through fat. Guess I have fatty goon fingers.

The scar tissue did make it feel a little tight for a while, but at this point it doesn’t really feel any different from my other thumb. Here’s the site of the injury now (about a year and a half later).

Morals of the story:

-have a coffee before working with tools
-Leatherman knives are loving sharp out of the box
-cut moving AWAY from any body parts

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 26, 2021

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I've got a bunch but I think I'll start with just the stuff I saw when I was a kid.

Don't mean to get too trashy with it right off the bat but the first instance of "gore" I saw was when my piece of poo poo dad blew off his thumb and nearly shot me by accident. It's one of my first memories so it's very vague, I was like 3 at the time. I was hanging out with my dad in the living room and playing with some toys, and my dad was in his chair playing with a revolver. He claims he was cleaning it but I doubt it. Anyways he does something stupid and ends up pulling the trigger, sending a bullet through his left thumb and right near where I was playing. I saw what was left of his thumb briefly and all I remember is how surprised I was that the inside of a thumb could look so weird. Afterwards my dad would show it to me as it healed and kept making me promise to never play with guns again. He was pretty disappointed when I decided to become a gunsmith but I'm not the one who shot a thumb off lol.

Next incident was when I was about 4 or 5, dad was at work and me and my older sister (She was 11 or 12) were playing in the front yard. She decides to hop onto my dads motorcycle in the driveway and immediately tips it over, crushing her foot. We look at it and a lot of blood is coming out and you can definitely see bone. She doesn't even cry, she just looks at me and says "Don't tell mom!" so of course I bolt inside and get mom. It healed perfectly fine and she's surprised I can even remember it.

At around 11 years old I saw one biker shoot another biker in a drive-by, it happened right outside my schools playground and a bunch of other kids saw too. Dude just pulled up to a guy parking his bike and I was close enough to even know what kind of gun it was. One of those semi-auto Mac-10 style pistols. He shot him a bunch, the guy dropped, and the shooter kept shooting until his gun went dry. Because I was a hosed up little dork I didn't even stick around, I just ran home and never told my parents. A letter got sent from the school to every family, offering counseling to any student who might have seen it. I just kind of played dumb because I really didn't want to talk about it, which was probably a huge mistake lol.

And just a year after that I was visiting my cousins house, he was much older than me and had just gotten back from Iraq. Our family are huge right wing losers so I thought he was extremely cool for going to war and I'd always ask him for stories but he wouldn't ever share any. Well one day I was playing on his computer and I went snooping through his files because I was lovely and I found one called "Iraq" and it was just a bunch of pictures of dead Iraqis. I never worked up the courage to ask if those were dead combatants or just random people. Members of his division were in the background frequently so I'm pretty sure he was the one taking the pictures.

Anyways I think it's important for people to see this stuff. Not everyone has had a hosed up life and most peoples only exposure to this sort of thing is entertainment and that's so sterilized and stylized. If someones only experience with death and violence is media then they will likely have some huge misconceptions about the realities behind violence.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 26, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Alright for my next one, I was probably around 13 or 14. My parents had taken us to vacation in a little town called San Felipe in Mexico, positioned in the armpit of Baja.

San Felipe is a little unique in that one of the big tourist draws are the ATVs, even the locals seemed to drive them everywhere and there were some great dunes and jumps you could have fun on when you rent them.

My dad was taking my brother and I to go rent some ATVs and play around on the dunes that afternoon. As he's talking to the guy renting them, I'm just kind of wandering around and happened to be looking out on the street behind us. All the sudden I see this guy just TEARING down the street on an ATV. A lot of the locals used these modified beasts that could get up to some pretty insane speeds, and this guy was probably doing 60+ on a road meant for about 25. They were also very loud, that classic sound when you're pinning a small engine to the max.

Well, as chance would have it, a large white panel van starts to pull out into the road from the side and as I'm watching it almost seemed to go into slow motion as I realize that there is about to be a serious accident. I have no idea if the guy on the ATV tried to brake or didn't even have time to do that, but whatever the case he was still moving incredibly quickly when he just absolutely PLOWED into the side of this van.

ATVs obviously don't have seat belts, so the guy flies off it head first into the side of the van. I believe he died then as he probably crushed his skull and broke his neck at the same time. But due to his speed, after bashing into the van his body just went FLYING up into the air and over the entire van. Seriously was probably about 15 or 20 feet in the air at the peak. Then his body flops down bonelessly on the ground, a pool of blood rapidly spreading around him. Someone lackadaisically approached him and took a look, then just walked off because I'm guessing it was beyond obvious that he was dead. I didn't get any closer, I wanted to avoid scarring myself any more than I already had. In a few minutes the ambulance arrived and casually scraped the body off the ground and left, and everything proceeded like nothing had even happened. I honestly wonder how many times a day similar things happened there.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

One more, even though I'm double posting I just found this image again and I'll forget otherwise. This is after I dislocated my shoulder and absolutely PULVERIZED the socket part at the top of the humerus bone. You can see the fresh screws, and that whiter piece with the screws in it is actually a piece of donor bone from a corpse.

Warning: extremely graphic photo, plenty of blood and bone. THIS IS A PHOTO TAKEN DURING RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY

PinheadSlim posted:

I've got a bunch but I think I'll start with just the stuff I saw when I was a kid.

Don't mean to get too trashy with it right off the bat but the first instance of "gore" I saw was when my piece of poo poo dad blew off his thumb and nearly shot me by accident. It's one of my first memories so it's very vague, I was like 3 at the time. I was hanging out with my dad in the living room and playing with some toys, and my dad was in his chair playing with a revolver. He claims he was cleaning it but I doubt it. Anyways he does something stupid and ends up pulling the trigger, sending a bullet through his left thumb and right near where I was playing. I saw what was left of his thumb briefly and all I remember is how surprised I was that the inside of a thumb could look so weird. Afterwards my dad would show it to me as it healed and kept making me promise to never play with guns again. He was pretty disappointed when I decided to become a gunsmith but I'm not the one who shot a thumb off lol.

Next incident was when I was about 4 or 5, dad was at work and me and my older sister (She was 11 or 12) were playing in the front yard. She decides to hop onto my dads motorcycle in the driveway and immediately tips it over, crushing her foot. We look at it and a lot of blood is coming out and you can definitely see bone. She doesn't even cry, she just looks at me and says "Don't tell mom!" so of course I bolt inside and get mom. It healed perfectly fine and she's surprised I can even remember it.

At around 11 years old I saw one biker shoot another biker in a drive-by, it happened right outside my schools playground and a bunch of other kids saw too. Dude just pulled up to a guy parking his bike and I was close enough to even know what kind of gun it was. One of those semi-auto Mac-10 style pistols. He shot him a bunch, the guy dropped, and the shooter kept shooting until his gun went dry. Because I was a hosed up little dork I didn't even stick around, I just ran home and never told my parents. A letter got sent from the school to every family, offering counseling to any student who might have seen it. I just kind of played dumb because I really didn't want to talk about it, which was probably a huge mistake lol.

And just a year after that I was visiting my cousins house, he was much older than me and had just gotten back from Iraq. Our family are huge right wing losers so I thought he was extremely cool for going to war and I'd always ask him for stories but he wouldn't ever share any. Well one day I was playing on his computer and I went snooping through his files because I was lovely and I found one called "Iraq" and it was just a bunch of pictures of dead Iraqis. I never worked up the courage to ask if those were dead combatants or just random people. Members of his division were in the background frequently so I'm pretty sure he was the one taking the pictures.

Anyways I think it's important for people to see this stuff. Not everyone has had a hosed up life and most peoples only exposure to this sort of thing is entertainment and that's so sterilized and stylized. If someones only experience with death and violence is media then they will likely have some huge misconceptions about the realities behind violence.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Play posted:

One more, even though I'm double posting I just found this image again and I'll forget otherwise. This is after I dislocated my shoulder and absolutely PULVERIZED the socket part at the top of the humerus bone. You can see the fresh screws, and that whiter piece with the screws in it is actually a piece of donor bone from a corpse.

Warning: extremely graphic photo, plenty of blood and bone. THIS IS A PHOTO TAKEN DURING RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY

It's like a cute salamander face with the screws being the eyes :3:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think I posted about this one recently in the OSHA thread or elsewhere, but since it's on my mind and fits the thread here it is: I was sitting on the sidelines of a beach volleyball game when two of my buddies collided going for the ball. One of them jumped up to spike it over the net while the other dove sideways. His jaw collided with the other guy's knee and shattered. It didn't really look like much, other than there being a lot of blood, but I'll never forget the sound it made and everyone's immediate reaction. He had to get airlifted by helicopter from the local hospital to a larger one for some reason, and of course, they wired his jaw shut.

Working in kitchens I've had my fair share of stupid injuries that are mostly unremarkable, but here are some short highlights:
- Cleaved the tip of my thumb and the entire thumbnail in half because I slipped while cleaning a meat slicer.
- Cutting cooked pork belly with a bread knife, dug into the top of my index finger, right to the bone.
- Using a grill brick to clean a piping-hot flattop grill, I slipped and palmed it. That might have been the worst pain I've ever experienced, and left me with a golf ball-sized blister on my palm (and several more on my fingertips). Still got the photo somewhere.

But maybe the 'goriest' thing I've ever witnessed was as a little kid. I had hamsters, and they weren't both female like the pet store employee said, so of course we ended up with a bunch of baby hamsters. One of the little pinkies somehow got between the cage bars and ended up on the floor. It was fine, the cage was on the ground. I pointed it out to my Mom, who gently picked it up and put it back in the cage. The mother hamster sniffed it, and then bit its little head clean off.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
my dog got pissed once as a puppy and bit my hand hard enough that blood squirted out. he's pretty cool now, still a bit of a douche sometimes but he's learning to love. took a lot of training though, and worth every penny :cheerdoge:

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 27, 2021

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
This is a cool thread.

I don't know if this is for sure going to count but I'm going to put it in and see. It's not my gore but it's gore.
My best friend ever in life was a vet tech for a while and I had a cat who needed fixed. She said I can do it and save you that like 60 bucks or whatever it was so I took my sweetheart kitty to her trailer and in the bathroom sink she doused his sacs with that orangish betadine, made tiny slits and popped his little balls out. It took a surprising amount of hand strength; they snapped out actually and looked like white baby lima beans with snotty looking tails.

I joked about how for guys how this would be their total nightmare and held them up to my ears like goulish earrings and jiggled my head and we laughed together

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Hooooweeee that's a lot of good stuff posted.

I want to thank y'all for keeping it right on the money in here, not that I expected it to be otherwise.

I'm always intrigued by just how wild some of these medical procedures can be. It never crossed my mind that cadavers were used in the fitting and such of prosthetic science, and it seems like such a no brainer after being explained.

We use cadavers to train K9s to find dead bodies, and let's just say the "teeth jar" is a special kind of wtf. Looking at it from far away you can't see anything really and you'd think it's probably some hillbilly alcohol beverage or a spicy pickled food. It's not, and trust me when you crack the seal EVERYONE KNOWS IT'S OPEN gently caress.

There are plenty of other things we use too, but that loving jar is a trip because if you don't know what it is it takes a good look from a few feet away.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

One time an old man on a cane was wobbling aggressively towards me shouting "c'mere boy" and then I kicked his cane and farded right on his face and he died. Turns out he had a family. They told me it was the first thing he had smelled in over fifty years, and thanked me.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Chief McHeath posted:

One time an old man on a cane was wobbling aggressively towards me shouting "c'mere boy" and then I kicked his cane and farded right on his face and he died. Turns out he had a family. They told me it was the first thing he had smelled in over fifty years, and thanked me.

lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chief McHeath posted:

I'm glad he's dead

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Fart stories still make me laugh, I'm not fully dead inside!

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Would you like to play a game?

Guess how many people I've taken care of that have attempted to amputate/actually amputated their penis because guilt/delusions/the voices told them to.

Answer: Three. Yes. Three. Way more than I thought I'd ever see.

Guess how many people I've taken care of who have successfully amputated part of a limb as a suicide attempt.

Answer: Four. All of them non-dominant arms below the elbow. They were all successfully reattached.

Guess how many people I've taken care of who lit themselves on fire to get their spouse's attention.

Answer: Only one. They were a narcissistic jackass who miscalculated. Not a lot of sympathy there.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Guess how many people I've taken care of who have successfully amputated part of a limb as a suicide attempt.

Answer: Four. All of them non-dominant arms below the elbow. They were all successfully reattached.
Apologies if I'm being dense, but what were these people doing? I can't work out what suicide method/s would fail and remove part of a limb.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

Apologies if I'm being dense, but what were these people doing? I can't work out what suicide method/s would fail and remove part of a limb.

Power tools.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

All of them were with some kind of automatic saw. I’m not a first responder so I don’t know specifics, I’ve only seen them post repair.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My sister is a surgical tech and she worked on an incident where a guy tried to decapitate himself with chainsaw. He lived, to the shock of everyone involved.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Towards the end of my time at my last restaurant job we started cleaning the (very hot) fryers between day and night crew because of a new menu item that was "delicate". About a month later I watched someone try to do it, spill hot oil on their hand, drop the little pot they were holding, spill oil all over the floor, slip in the oil, fall over and knock over a huge pot on the ground full of the rest of the oil and then roll around burning on the ground before we pulled him out of the pool. It was only like 10 seconds but it felt like a very long time. He had severe burns all over his body and was airlifted to a burn unit nearby. It is probably the single worst kitchen injury I have ever witnessed.
Earlier that year it had become a joke to quote that Canadian kitchen safety PSA (where the girl burns her face off carrying the pot across the kitchen) constantly while doing sketchy kitchen jobs like carrying huge pots filled with hot brine, etc. "I'm getting married this weekend..." It's all fun and games until someone loses half of their skin I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiG8uFRoxWE

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
When I was in high school, my biology teacher was a former nurse who got burnt out, decided that it wasn't for her and switched to teaching. She had lots of stories from her time as a nurse. We were considered the good class and didn't need a lot of hand-holding, so many days we might spend 10 minutes on coursework and the rest of the period she would regale us with Horrible E.R. Tales. This was pre-internet, so this was a glimpse into a world few of us had any idea about.

It's hard to remember specifics, since I've come across so many stories since then it's hard to separate them out, but they fell into the following categories:

- Things that do not belong in the human body
- What's the worst smell?
- Gruesome or weird injuries
- Incompetent surgeons
- Bariatric patients that left things in their folds and forgot about them (crossover to Worst Smell category)
- Difficult/combative patients

I do remember one incompetent surgeon story, since it was the one that drove her to leave the medical field. She was assisting him in surgery, and he nicked the aorta and the patient bled out and died in front of them. He did end up getting sued and his medical license revoked. Apparently it wasn't the first time he killed someone this way either.

Oh yes, one time she was assisting a doctor with an elderly woman with dementia who had been severely constipated, even after laxatives and an enema. They were examining her, when she suddenly blasted both of them with explosive diarrhea.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Since there was an ATV wreck story posted earlier, I'll contribute.

Me and my at the time bf went out for a drink, then when we came home we couldn't enter our community...didn't take long to see why.

In our community there was this one middle-aged guy that was a notorious rear end in a top hat. An alcoholic who lost his wife and was estranged by his kid, he spent his time doing donuts on the lawns of other people in our quiet community with his dumbass ATV. He always got cited by the HOA (who, being full of upper-middle class olds, did not take kindly to his antics) but nothing ever really happened. This took place in bumfuck Florida, the redneck parts, so there was a biker bar almost walking distance away despite the area being pretty rural.

ATV douche would regularly ride out onto the side of the road with his girlfriend, no helmet/blinkers/safety measures of any kind of course, onto the side of the 55 mph highway with no sidewalks that the community led out into to go get smashed at the trashy biker bar. I think you can see where this is going.

Apparently one night in almost pitch black conditions, ATV douche does his drunken pilgrimage and is on his way back home. Using the main highways of course, but thankfully without his girlfriend this time. As he's pulling in to our community a family of four in a F150 roars in at normal speed and slams right into him. To my knowledge, the truck ran into him from behind as they were coming in at the same direction, on the same road. ATV douche goes loving flying, literally over the large concrete "Welcome to Generic Suburban Community" sign, all the way to the residential street a little behind where the exit road is. My math sucks but it was easily 20 feet, he caught some air. Of course he's super dead and there's blood everywhere. We pulled in just in time to see his bloody body, thankfully covered by a white sheet, and a ton of ambulance workers/cops. Since this was a small town word got out fast and it turns out literally no one mourned this guy's passing, not even his family.

I feel bad for the Ford.

Enclosed is a diagram: Not NWS so I'm not gonna hide it and yes it's garbage scribbled in MSPaint.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
When I was a kid, my family travelled a lot. Moving around every six months or so, and going on vacations between moves. So one time we're passing through St. Louis, and my dad's all "Hey I've never been here, let's check it out" and my mom's on a lovely comedown and is like, "No, gently caress you, go wander around, and take the kid so I can take a nap." I'm excited and loud, and I've been cooped up in this stupid stationwagon for hours. So we go wander around St. Louis near downtown and we're walking on the sidewalk, and all the sudden we see two motorcycles racing against each other about a block ahead of where we're at, headed towards us. One of the bikes is red and white, and the guy riding it is wearing a light blue helmet that sparkles in the sun. The other bike is dark green, and the guy riding it has long hair and a thin, scraggly red beard.
I can tell because he's not wearing a helmet.
They speed towards us, and about thirty feet away, the dark green bike wobbles hard, and the rider puts his right foot out to steady it. But it's already going over sideways and it's hurtling forward at about 80mph, so his foot just kind of... disappears. Gravity and friction tear the bike out from under him, and I remember thinking how lucky he was that the now-sideways handlebars didn't hit him in the balls, even as they yank sideways and start pelting sparks everywhere. The rider somehow manages to avoid getting under the bike, and he's running now, faster than anyone should be able to run, and his right foot is gone and there's just a raw hamburger patty at the end of his ankle and everytime it hits the ground there's a wet sound and blood sprays everywhere like someone threw a sponge against the floor. He's running, and he can't stop, momentum has him firmly in its grasp, and he's leaned forward because he can't get himself totally upright, but he's doing everything he can to keep from going the rest of the way forward and eating street. He tries to stop himself by grabbing a newspaper machine, but he's too far away, then a "No Parking From Here To Corner" sign, then my right shoulder, but my dad has already pulled me too far away. I lock eyes with the guy as he desperately flails about for something to stop himself with, and he's terrified in a way I had only seen in movies up to that point, and he's not looking at me anymore when he finally runs into the base of the streetlights hanging over the intersection behind us and his skull splits open from the impact and there's blood everywhere.
The cops show up while we're all standing in a big mobby crowd around the body. There's more blood flowing into the storm drain by the corner than I knew even existed. I ask my dad if the guy will be okay, and a lady next to me snaps "He's loving dead, kid!" The cops are asking questions, taking statements, "What did you see?", "Can you describe the horror of watching this man's final moments? Be detailed." They get around to me and my dad. Dad tells the story in short, clinical terms. They ask him about the other bike. He says it was brown and white. Dad's red-green colorblind, so this happens a lot. I correct him and just point out the other bike, parked a few dozen feet away on the other side of the road. The cops wait a few seconds until a kid with a sparkly blue helmet squirms out of the crowd and starts to cross the street.
Dad takes that opportunity to grab me and leave, neither one of us realizing I'll vividly (but possibly incorrectly) remember that incident for the rest of my life, and how it will dramatically affect my viewpoints on mortality and planning. We get back to the stationwagon, my mom is draped over the passenger seat like a drying towel, and has a wet washcloth over her closed eyes. "Did I miss anything?" she croaks as my dad and I slam doors on opposite sides of the vehicle. Dad and I shoot each other a look, and then he wordlessly starts the car, and I climb into the back cargo area and pull a blanket over my head.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Play
Apr 25, 2006

PathAsc posted:

I'm always intrigued by just how wild some of these medical procedures can be. It never crossed my mind that cadavers were used in the fitting and such of prosthetic science, and it seems like such a no brainer after being explained.

And in my picture, a cadaver is used as a prosthesis itself! Twenty years ago I would've received an artificial joint with a high chance of complications and pain later in life, sixty years ago I probably would've just been crippled for life. I was lucky to be young and to get a doctor who went the donor bone route, it worked out very well for me in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
They also use ground up corpse bone(allograft) in spinal fusion surgeries.

Also some ACL repairs are done with ligaments harvested from donor bodies.