Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Fine, I'll take the last spot before Grandi leaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Steak posted:

but jc already signed you up

He's not the boss of me.

Unrelated but we should probably kill JC D1 because he's gonna be trying to kill me this entire game and also it would be really funny

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Amnistar did this exact same thing D1 in The Good Place mafia and he was scum.
That doesn't mean bif is scum but saying "scum wouldn't do this" is dumb

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

JoseV - What do you think about that vig kill?

I lean towards "scummy", but a large part of that is getting burned by it in TGP by pushing the other way.

It's not something consider to be a compelling reason to D1 execute though

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The Good Place Mafia

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

b-minus1 posted:

Very strange reaction for sure. No direct comment about bifs decision to use the vig or about yami. This strikes me as someone that knows a townie is about to flip. I’m going to ##vote John cena btw I do think bif is town even though I didn’t like the vig

It would be stranger if JC hadn't made a joke about it, there were I think 3 games in a row where I ended up killing JC so it has become a running joke.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

who is AA?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

Perhaps so, but it’s not like we forfeit the ability to lunch her later. She’s probably a multi-shot Vig too, so that’s something we’ll have to consider at some point as well.

Given that she fired indiscriminately into a crowd is that a point for keeping her or executing her?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

Vig JoseV
Very rude

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

You're extremely good at this game and If you're alive at like Day 4 you're probably gonna win some kinda 360 noscope 3p win
Nah, this is the game where I'm town and slowly let people forget my scum game

b-minus1 posted:

Just read joses posts. I would vig him

I would hug b-minus. And by hug I don't mean execute, I mean wrap my arms around him and gently squeeze.

Mr. Steak posted:

big brain analysis:

this is scum interaction

Galaxy brain analysis:

You wouldn't be able to catch me as scum, so if you think I'm scum you can be sure I'm town :smug:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

CCKeane posted:

##vote Grandicap

Is this a for real vote or a joke vote?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

what if it’s real? What if it’s a joke?

If it's real I'm interested in why, if it's a joke then I'm not

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

Who would you vig Jose

steak because he's the only person that I'm confident is voting for town

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

CCKeane posted:

Why'd you do this?

Bifauxnen posted:

"I might barely remember how reality works, but this doesn't seem hard to understand."

##vote Keane
I think this vote is scummier than the vig kill

Mr. Steak posted:

##vote grandicap my other sneaking suspicion

Mr. Steak posted:

if bif is scum he's defending her, and if she's town he's defending her with such conviction that it looks like scum angling for some cred when bif flips. he kind of doesnt look good either way lol. no need to flip bif first
Don't like this either. It's presenting a false dichotomy and ignoring option 3 which is Grandi actually believes what he's saying

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

CCKeane posted:

I don't think I particularly think bif is super scummy right now (which, I want to be clear, is different than saying she's town(another parenthesis to say "Keane you're refusing to say either way! Yeah well what are you gonna do about it? Nothing, that's what.)) But Grand leaping in with calling Bif town for it feels weird! It's weird to say "Yeah this person that killed town outta nowhere is town for it."

It doesn't seem unusual to me because I've seen it happen recently. I don't agree with it, but I don't think it is inherently a scummy position to take

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

Like why not slap a vote down here

Because I don't think that vote being scummy is breaking the game wide open or anything, it's just a scummy thing. Bif is already at 3 votes and my read of that vote isn't strong enough to put them at 4

Sandwolf posted:

JoseV’s posts all feel like they’re trying to avoid saying too much, saying just enough content to disappear again, not really pushing nor standing for anything~~
It's D1, I don't have strong feelings about anything yet. Also I have a 5 month old baby and a full time job so my time has been pretty limited.

Mr. Steak posted:

then do it, coward! jose has been expressly ignoring me because engaging with me would only bring more attention to him. its a scum technique i use all the time
Yes, I have been ignoring you for this reason. It's something I recommend people do regardless of alignment. Your case against me so far has been that I'm scum because I said it was rude for Sandwolf to want to vig me and you took some jokes I made after that seriously. It's not something I felt like I should take very seriously, but now it's picking up steam so I guess I will :shrug:

Sandwolf posted:

I don’t think it’s Grandi, he seems more interested than not in figuring out who is scum and I honestly feel like the case on him re: Bif is like “wow he thinks BIF is TOWN? Scum”

I feel like it’s more likely he just picked a side of the binary and committed to it instead of waffling.
I agree with this

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Bifauxnen posted:

"It's at least as scummy as indiscriminately firing and killing a townie. That's what you've claimed."

// BREAKTHROUGH IMMINENT //
// VOLUMETRIC BULLSHIT COMPRESSOR //

##vote JoseV

You think I'm scummy because I think you're scummy. They should invent a term for that

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Steak posted:

i love when people pull a double-reverse omgus

You really took me saying I would vig you too personally and seriously.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Are you trying to say that I'm OMGUSing bif?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

So you think Bif is scum? And you think Bif thinks you’re scum because you think Bif is scum?
I think bif has been scummy and I've said as much:

Jose Valasquez posted:

I lean towards "scummy", but a large part of that is getting burned by it in TGP by pushing the other way.

It's not something consider to be a compelling reason to D1 execute though

Jose Valasquez posted:

Given that she fired indiscriminately into a crowd is that a point for keeping her or executing her?

Jose Valasquez posted:

I think this vote is scummier than the vig kill

Bif's reason for voting me is:

Bifauxnen posted:

"It's at least as scummy as indiscriminately firing and killing a townie. That's what you've claimed."

// BREAKTHROUGH IMMINENT //
// VOLUMETRIC BULLSHIT COMPRESSOR //

##vote JoseV

So yes, I think bif is voting me because I said she's scummy

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Steak posted:

the sandwolf thing is irrelevant. it was barely serious, which i think was evident by prefacing it "big brain analysis".

i see your posting as calculated overall. and the vig commentary that "person voting me is voting town because im town" is such a surface-level take that it's blatantly avoiding the question (which is ostensibly about who you think is scum), and also "reminding" thread that you are town, which pings me.
What is calculated about my posting? I feel like I've been shooting off the cuff and being way less careful than usual in this game. If I was actually being calculating in this game I would have just followed my rule and not responded to your original post calling me scummy (And now I'm getting votes because of it! Lesson learned)

quote:

regardless of your alignment, reducing people's cases to fit your agenda doesnt make you look good
I'm sorry if you feel I'm misrepresenting your case, but here are the posts you made about me:

Mr. Steak posted:

ah, the classic "post about how you are town" trick

Mr. Steak posted:

that poo poo always comes across to me as a sort of (subconscious or otherwise) desire to "get the story straight" so they needlessly remind thread/themselves that their logic stems from their town alignment

Mr. Steak posted:

also, josev seems to be unironically taking the position of "OMGUS is good actually". which, lol

Mr. Steak posted:

except a lack of vote speaks to his not wanting to be scrutinized for committing to such a silly thing.

i dont care if apparently he's some kind of mastermind scum genius, and therefore presumably wouldnt make these mistakes as scum. i see what i see

These are all in response to these two posts:

Regarding Sandwolf saying he would vig me:
In regards to you saying that was scummy:

Jose Valasquez posted:

steak because he's the only person that I'm confident is voting for town
The vig answer was a joke, it wasn't super serious, the real answer to the vig question is "I wouldn't vig anyone because I'm a big boy and can keep a vig in my pocket until it is useful instead of popping off on day 1"

You took an offhand joke and turned it into a case. I think my summary of your case is accurate :shrug:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

JoseV if you had a vig who would you shoot

Nobody because I'm a big boy and can keep a vig in my pocket until it is useful instead of popping off on day 1

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

yeah that answer just feels so desperate to be safe

It’s not a real gun and I can’t actually give it to you - you theoretically are able to immediately flip one player in this game, they won’t actually die, this is just a thought experiment - who do you flip
I mean, the safe answer would be to just tell you what you want to hear and name somebody, but I am very conservative and calculated with role actions. If I had a role action that posted someone's flip in the thread I wouldn't use it yet because I wouldn't want to inadvertently flip a cop or something.

If I had a role action that would tell me and me alone someone's flip and it was use it or lose it I would probably use it on Bif because that's the person that A) I think has been scummiest in the game thus far, and B) I think that flip gives the most information to work with given that she has been the focus of attention. Although on second thought I might not do that because Bif is one of the likelier candidates for execution today so it might end up being a waste. The other way to think about this hypothetical role action is that it can tell me who I can trust in the game, so perhaps I would use it on someone that I have a hard time reading like Keane or Voodoo.

I don't know, it's a tough choice. If I had an action like that I would agonize over it for hours before deciding how to use it. I've already spent 20 minutes thinking about it and it isn't even real. I doubt you'll like that answer, but it's how I think about the game and I'm not gonna lie about it

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sorry, but "If you played the game in a fundamentally different way what would you do?" is a bullshit question. I don't know what I would do if I was a different person.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Bifauxnen posted:

"I think you're just a scared little bitch who doesn't wanna stick his neck out being the fourth or fifth vote when it's actually going to mean something to start looking responsible. You think I'm scum, huh? Yeah, I'm a real dirty cop hustling for La Puta Madre. I'm gonna go on police radio sayin' you told him to gently caress off!"

I know you're doing a bit, but please stop talking to me in this way.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

Alright but effectively the question boils down to: “who is your strongest scumread/suspicion so far” or “who is so difficult for you to read you’d rather just know” and you don’t seem to think anyone is scummy enough to flip and you kinda avoided the second half of the question (though you did say Voodoo/Keane).

It feels like it’s betraying, to me, an insincere viewpoint on the game.

I answered both of those questions explicitly in my post.
Bif is my strongest scumread and Voodoo and Keane are two people I have a hard time reading. Maybe just read my post?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

But then why not just say shoot bif instead of this “I’d shoot bif but then again maybe not because she’s a viable lunch candidate today”? That feels like you know Bif could eat it today and are okay with that happening like that, but if you thought Bif was scum wouldn’t you just want her flipped so we could spend the rest of D1 analyzing the fallout of that?

No, because given the choice between vigging scum and executing scum I'd rather execute scum so that votes are on the record. I'd save a vig for someone I was confident was scum but there wasn't enough traction to execute them.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

Alright new content game you’re one dance from 2000-2020 which are you: I’m the Dougie

I'm the Frug.

It is a dance from the 60s and a song from 1999 so it doesn't fit the question at all but it is what I thought of.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Classic Jose sidestepping questions

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'm not going to have much time between now and the deadline, to some degree I can blow off work to post but 5-7:30 is prime "dealing with a 5 month old" time which is harder to blow off.

##vote bif since that has been my strongest scum read so far. Assuming bedtime goes well I'll check in again before the deadline and move if needed to avoid a no execution

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

It's raid night for me so I'm not very here, but it is true that JC is an unconfirmed mason with me

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sorry for not being around much today. I took a mental health day from work and I've been doing low stress things which Mafia doesn't fit into. I'll try to catch up later tonight or tomorrow morning.

JOHN CENA posted:

there is but i cant post it

Are you my dog?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

CCKeane posted:

Sandwolf was also pushing JoseV hard, JoseV is known for killing players pushing him, I'm voting JoseV.

##vote: JoseV

CCKeane posted:

JoseV has explicitly said "I kill people that are suspicious of me and nobody calls me on it."

I do say this, but I didn't do it and I honestly can't remember the last time I did do it, so I don't know that I'm "known" for it.

If I was gonna kill someone over it it would have been steak since he started it all, but the day ended with no votes on me, so even if I was scum (which I'm not) I probably wouldn't have killed someone over it. There's not much defense I can make over something that I hypothetically could have done but didn't do.

Speaking of steak

Mr. Steak posted:

if this is true, it could mean im next!

##vote josev
This is a really sketchy vote imo. It feels ~*~pErFoRmAtIvE~*~

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

CCKeane posted:

Who ya got? Steak?

Don't know yet, I need to go back and read what happened last night and today. Gonna try to do that now

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Look, we're all getting well paid to be here so everyone should make an effort to be around at a deadline.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sub Rosa posted:

So three kills?

Bif started as Brute, so one could have been the night vig.

Could be untold redirection going on. Bif's shot could have hit Bif.

Scientastic posted:

This is a good post, immediate analysis and interesting spot on the kill, and good anti-night-action-fuckery, really like Sub Rose just for this one post

I dislike both the first post and Sci's response to it. Night action speculation isn't inherently townie and it gives scum an easy thing to talk about without giving actual reads.

The praise of that post by Sci feels off to me.

Going back to look closer at Sub Rosa:

Sub Rosa posted:

I agree it was early and justified but more importantly I hate posting gimmicks even if Disco Elysium was a good game.

##vote Bifauxen

Sub Rosa posted:

Bif has been posting exclusively as a character from that game that "dramatic, pushing chaos" could be a very apt descriptor for.

Sub Rosa posted:

Even though it masks a person's meta? And you are have very confidently made an alignment call on that person?

Sub Rosa posted:

I didn't like Bif shooting so early, I think shooting D1 because use-it-or-lose-it is fine, but I think you can still have more to go on in target selection on D1. Obviously Bif was going to come under scrutiny after that, and I wanted the posting gimmick to be part of that scrutiny.

But doing things I think are harmful to town, which both the vig and the PR is included for me, doesn't have to make someone scum, and Bif didn't wilt under the pressure, so.

Sub Rosa posted:

Complaining about having to read is supposed to be a scum tell, yeah?

##scientastic

It all feels like posting Mafia theory to give the appearance of content.

This was their most in depth content D1

Sub Rosa posted:

Yeah, I find myself agreeing with Keane. I go back to this post.

I felt Grandi was overcertain about the read in general, when I asked why he was sure, it was based on meta, but the meta read that Bif isn't dramatic and chaotic is just not a match to how Bif is playing this game. So it does end up feeling like "I want to call Bif town first, how to justify calling Bif town second."

I also keep going back to this post by steak

JoseV calls it a false dichotomy and says the third option is just that Grandi actually believes it. Well, something feels weird to me for Grandi to actually just believe what he's saying, so I sort of think Steak is right.

##vote Grandicap
but even that is mostly parroting Keane and disagreeing with me.

I don't have a meta-read of Sub to compare against, but I lean scum

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Steak posted:

out of all the people posting today, i'd like to vote josev or cena the most

Live view from from steak's house this game

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Voodoofly posted:

Who do you think is scum?

Sub Rosa is my strongest scum read so far. I made a big post about it

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Idle Amalgam posted:

Jose has done basically no scum hunting as far as I'm concerned. Mostly overly defensive barring stuff with bif which seems not really all that important.
We're a few hours into day 2 and I just made a big post about someone. I never make big cases or strong pushes on D1, D1 cases are all bad, even the ones that luck into being right. Normally this is where I would go back and find quotes from previous games because this exact same accusation gets thrown at me almost every time, but I don't have time this time around.

I hate the "you're being defensive" "scum tell" so much. It is a no win situation, either you defend yourself from false accusations and get called defensive or you don't and then you just get executed because you don't defend yourself. If I hadn't defended myself yesterday I'm confident I would have been executed based on the way the thread was going.

Calling people out for defending themselves is a lazy rear end bullshit reason to vote someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Voodoofly posted:

Strong enough to vote?

I want to spend more time looking at other people, but at this point if I had to vote it would be for sub