Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ataxerxes posted:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/finnish-army-simulator#/

So some folks are making a game about the Finnish conscript service, in the style of My Summer Car.

Holy Hell, one of the pre-order bonuses is a 12-pack of cheap beer.

A story from my father's conscription in the Heer:

95% of the soldiers at the base where his unit was stationed went home at night, or at least on the weekend. If you didn't, it stood out. Enter Hans. Hans was from a village five hours away; no friends, no family. While he seemed content to live in the barracks and eat at the enlisted canteen, he was obviously drinking far more than the enlisted canteen would sell him. Que my father's superior asking him to find Hans to drive an M113 down the road, with my father as a ground guide. Dad found him alright. Totally drunk at 1000.

"Hey, I can't do that."
"WHAT?! It was an order. Why not?"
"Have you seen him today? I'm not walking in front of the track if he's driving."
"Where is he?"
Twenty minutes later...
Herr Hauptmann is ground guide and has to physically stop Hans from driving.
"Ah. You did tell me, didn't you? Can you drive the vehicle?"
"I can drive the Illtis and the van."
"Fine!"
Whereupon the M113 sat right there, blocking traffic, for the rest of the day.

I gather drunkenness in the Bundeswehr only got worse until conscription ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU