Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Budzilla posted:

Reminds me of this Onion video. Gotta say most astronauts sounds like assholes. I hope Buzz Aldrin isn't one :(

I have terrible news for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

PittTheElder posted:

I have terrible news for you

He's dead?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dude is definitely an rear end in a top hat, almost nobody liked the guy. Astronaut corps thought he was insanely full of himself (that this stands out in a group of other astronauts says something) plus he was a fuckin dick to his wives

In terms of actually doing job he did fine tho. He definitely agitated to be the first guy to walk on the moon, but NASA management pretty firmly shut that down

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Never meet your heroes. He wasn't my hero but he did seem to have a good image around him.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
alan shepherd for being a dumbass christian scientist and bumping lovell et al to apollo 13

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Bumping them wasn’t a jerky thing, though, right? I thought they all wanted to fly ASAP because they didn’t know if there’s be a budget to fly the next year so Lowell was excited to go on 13

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nah budget for missions through 16 were very secure. He had been grounded for medical reasons, but after getting that corrected Alan Shepard got a crew assignment and a Commander's seat for no other reason than being first American astronaut Alan Shepard (and being friends with Deke Slayton probably). He was way less qualified for that seat than a lot of guys.

Shepherd was assigned to basically the next available mission after his surgery, which was 13, instead of Gordon Cooper who had been backup commander of 10, and so could have expected the prime rotation for 13 (Slayton has said he basically thought Cooper was a slacker, there's drama there). Lovell had been backup commander for 11 and became prime crew for 14, more or less the expected assignment for him.

The swap happens after that, because Shepard was so far behind the ball he needed more time to train. Lovell and his crew had been working together for long enough that it was no big deal to fly them early (but then of course 13 turns into its own poo poo show for unrelated reasons).

TL;dr: the swap itself wasn't dramatic but there's a lot of adjacent drama, none of which involves Lovell really.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's absolutely worth a read.

It's a good book but you should brace yourself for a lot of sexist jokes that have not aged well. Mullane realizes that he shouldn't have told those jokes (it's a lot of "check out this hilarious joke that you're not allowed to tell anymore") but is less clear on why.

Also, two of this three flights were classified DOD missions that he can't say much about (spy satellites) so only one mission gets a detailed description. He did almost die on the way down on STS-27 so that's exciting!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Budzilla posted:

Never meet your heroes. He wasn't my hero but he did seem to have a good image around him.

He's a great ambassador for the space program, and deserves credit for being forthright about the problems he had after returning to earth. Amazingly, some people don't deal well with their lives having peaked at age 39. And a lot of his issues stem directly from his overbearing dad.

He's also a raging Republican. And while an astronaut, he did drive his colleagues crazy by considering himself the foremost expert on everything.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

zakharov posted:

Also, two of this three flights were classified DOD missions that he can't say much about (spy satellites) so only one mission gets a detailed description. He did almost die on the way down on STS-27 so that's exciting!

Oh drat, he was on that flight? Does he talk about it much in the book? Curious if that's where we get the story of the crew being horrified at the damage, and ground control writing it off because they only had the downgraded images?

Also I have always loved the Hoot Gibson line from the wikipedia page:

quote:

When Gibson saw the damage he thought to himself, "We are going to die"; he and others did not believe that the shuttle would survive reentry. Gibson advised the crew to relax because "No use dying all tensed-up", he said, but if instruments indicated that the shuttle was disintegrating, Gibson planned to "tell mission control what I thought of their analysis" in the remaining seconds before his death.

Wonder if he has a book...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Nah budget for missions through 16 were very secure. He had been grounded for medical reasons,

the medical reason being an entirely minor inner ear thing that could have been fixed with a shunt at any time if he hadn't been a dumbass "pray away disease" christian scientist

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

Oh drat, he was on that flight? Does he talk about it much in the book? Curious if that's where we get the story of the crew being horrified at the damage, and ground control writing it off because they only had the downgraded images?

Also I have always loved the Hoot Gibson line from the wikipedia page:

Wonder if he has a book...

He talks about it as much as he can - not much about what he actually did, but some good stuff about the arguments with mission control and the very tense re-entry. That quote is in the book.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the medical reason being an entirely minor inner ear thing that could have been fixed with a shunt at any time if he hadn't been a dumbass "pray away disease" christian scientist

I did not know that, :lol:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I did not know that, :lol:

yeah he sucks rear end. he only got it fixed because a doctor was able to convince him that a shunt inserted without anesthesia probably didn't count as surgery

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 5, 2021

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

What does Christian Science have to say about cheating on your wife like crazy? Because he definitely did lots of that.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Naw it’s cool

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

the thing to remember about astronauts, especially the early ones, is that they were largely test pilots, and like everyone from the air force absolutely out-of-their-mind psychopath nutjobs

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

You had to be a little crazy to strap yourself onto a nuclear missile. Multiply that by the initial crazy required to be a test pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

That’s not fair to say.

Some of them were Navy.