Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

poisonpill posted:

The Apollo cabins were also like eighty degrees, filled with ziplock bags of urine and three unwashed adult men for a week. They were not pleasant, to put it lightly

I remember reading somewhere that while the Russian cosmonauts tended to think most Shuttle astronauts were weenies, they thought most Apollo guys were fuckin' badasses.

Although I wonder how much the lower pressure in the spacecraft helped (or hindered?) with that temperature.

Bargearse posted:

Three dudes living in a van for two weeks

Who was that astronaut who went to Mir, and spent the whole time whining about the Russians smoking and drinking on their own station?

That sounds like Jerry Linenger, who had probably the absolute worst relationship with the Mir cosmonauts (and everyone on the ground, too) out of all the astronauts that went there. His attitude was basically "i'm here to do science, not to janitor this decrepit Russian space station, and if i can't get the science done then why am i even up here???"

The only reason he was there was because hardly any of the NASA astronauts could be convinced to go. Most of them saw it as a lovely assignment. They wound up rushing him onto a Shuttle flight just so that the Russians would accept him.

PittTheElder posted:

Interesting. I should really get around to reading Riding Rockets one of these days.

It's absolutely worth a read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU