Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The interviews they did with anonymous Oscar voters seems to back up the idea that people assumed Boseman would win regardless.

They tried the same gambit they did with when Scorcese won for THE DEPARTED and it was made sure that his friends were the ones to present him with the award. With Scorcese it was a safer bet, a legend in his twilight years probably being nominated for the last time? Of course he was going to win it.

Also, rumour has it that Olivia Coleman was supposed to accept on Hopkins' behalf but Phoenix mumbled about Hopkins not being there and walked off. Not sure why they didn't have Coleman on hand and cut to her (she wasn't there in person) but that seems to be the reason it had such an abrupt end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Timeless Appeal posted:

I duuuuuuuno, I do wonder if they took into account the possibility on multiple levels. Nomadland beating out Minari after the Boseman snub might have been worse.

I don't think that's the case. No one was expecting Minari to win - Nomadland had won nearly every single other best picture award leading up to this - the bad feelings surround the actor award all came from the expectations of Boseman winning, and everyone expected Nomadland to walk away with Picture.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

smug n stuff posted:

I don't think that's the case. No one was expecting Minari to win - Nomadland had won nearly every single other best picture award leading up to this - the bad feelings surround the actor award all came from the expectations of Boseman winning, and everyone expected Nomadland to walk away with Picture.
I agree with you, but I'm implying is that you'd have people in the audience feeling bummed in the crowd about Boseman winning and then the very white Nomadland winning out over the film that features a non-white family--which was sure to happen--would not help.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

I agree with you, but I'm implying is that you'd have people in the audience feeling bummed in the crowd about Boseman winning and then the very white Nomadland winning out over the film that features a non-white family--which was sure to happen--would not help.
You're getting the pulse on this pretty wrong. There's probably only very few people who think Nomadland beating Minari looks bad. Nomadland is directed by a Chinese director and features the economically downtrodden. It's hardly, I dunno, Ford v Ferrari.

Anyway, I think maybe the bad optics on the Best Actor thing are slightly overblown. I haven't heard too much unhappiness about it online elsewhere.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Timeless Appeal posted:

Obviously the racial politics is very complicated, but my perception has been that Nomadland has gotten "credit" due to Chloé Zhao being the first woman of color Best Director - and she gave the acceptance speech, so I have a hard time imagining folks being too bummed. Could definitely wrong, and it's all counterfactual anyways, but that's my take.

e: beaten but yeah, basically agreed ^^

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Vegetable posted:

Anyway, I think maybe the bad optics on the Best Actor thing are slightly overblown. I haven't heard too much unhappiness about it online elsewhere.

double post but it's true that I don't think many people are too upset, mostly just laughing at the producers for loving up and having such an anticlimactic close to the ceremony

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Like, surely when you're planning this thing you would prepare for more than one outcome? Having some more graceful Plan B than a cut to credits? There's a logistical gently caress-up here to laugh at, separate from whether the voters got the award right.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Heavy_D posted:

Like, surely when you're planning this thing you would prepare for more than one outcome? Having some more graceful Plan B than a cut to credits? There's a logistical gently caress-up here to laugh at, separate from whether the voters got the award right.

Yeah and I feel like you could still do the Boseman tribute if there had actually been one, even without the win.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Really heartwarming seeing how much tribute was given to Michael Wolf Snyder.

One my best friends, also a sound mixer from Queens, was really close with him and worked a lot with him and it was truly awesome seeing so much time given to honoring below the line talent like that.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Vegetable posted:

You're getting the pulse on this pretty wrong. There's probably only very few people who think Nomadland beating Minari looks bad. Nomadland is directed by a Chinese director and features the economically downtrodden. It's hardly, I dunno, Ford v Ferrari.

Yeah, I guess you're right. To be clear I wasn't trying to saypeople would egg the stage or whatever. I just think I could imagine the producers being like, "We're 99% sure we're going to end with Boseman, but eh if we don't, then I dunno... someone will give a nice speech and mention him, and the ceremony would have ended anyway without people being grumbly during the Best Picture."

Kind of an aside. Nomadland is an interesting film in that it is a lot ABOUT whiteness and Zhao is critical and self-aware of that. The real life mentor that Zhao presented in the novel for example was someone who at least once abandoned a more stationary life. The movie also makes it clear that Fern has a couple of very clear Bs for a potentially decent life. It's not that the film villainizes its subject or trivializes the crushing weight of capitalism. An Amazon Warehouse is presented as weird frontier town. But there's more to it than many of them being economically downtrodden. But when you compare it to Minari which is also about a listless search for the American dream, I think there is a clear difference in the story of that family and Fern.

Honestly, Sound of Metal, Minari, and Nomadland do have a lot of similar themes. Really should have nominated First Cow which would have hung neatly with them.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56882958

There’s video but Anthony Hopkins had the understanding to give credit to Chadwick Bozeman when commenting on his win.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I was watching Midnight Cowboy again a few weeks ago and it reminded me of Nomadland in the sense it was a film about extreme poverty in America directed by a foreigner, and it just made Nomadland feel even more colder and detached than it did before. I don't really know how to articulate it yet, but where Midnight Cowboy's eye for America feels a lot more risky and lively, Nomadland feels sterile and cold, like a culmination of dozens of academic journal articles on directing. Schlesinger feels like an excited new voice going to bold places while Zhao feels like another upper class film student doing a film on marginalized people for good liberal points. I'm not sure this makes sense but it's what I could think of off the top of my head.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nomadland felt like a nice magazine feature that I would read while killing time at work.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/wesburt/status/1386443044275191808?s=19

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nomadland felt like a nice magazine feature that I would read while killing time at work.

You're in luck!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Goons have no appreciation for subtlety

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Really needed a scene where the nomads sit around the campfire and say to each other “it’s bad that we have to live this way, because of capitalism”

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Chuka Umana posted:

I was watching Midnight Cowboy again a few weeks ago and it reminded me of Nomadland in the sense it was a film about extreme poverty in America directed by a foreigner, and it just made Nomadland feel even more colder and detached than it did before.
Zhao is like forty and has lived in the United States since she was in high school. She's also made two amazing movies already about America.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Gatts posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56882958

There’s video but Anthony Hopkins had the understanding to give credit to Chadwick Bozeman when commenting on his win.

He isn't senile. He is just relaxing and living his best life. I love that for him.

Also, I am pretty sure Raw during the Attitude Era had bigger ratings than last night's Oscars.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I'll give Nomadland a rewatch tonight.

I also gotta see Zhao's two previous films

Chuka Umana fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 26, 2021

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Soderbergh bet big on what was expected to be a sure thing and lost. Colman was in the UK at the London satellite location but Phoenix said the Academy accepts the award on Hopkins behalf and they quickly killed the show. Hopkins apparently wanted to Zoom in to the ceremony but the producers refused to allow anyone to Zoom so he went to bed that night instead and found out in the morning.

No one would have been as mad if they just moved on to Best Picture. It would have A) Possibly given them time to realize Phoenix's mistake and have Colman give a short speech and B) Given the Nomadland team a chance to pick up the ball and shout out Boseman. It also might have altered McDormand's speech for Actress as well had the picture not just won moments before so that would have been curious (there was no real frontrunner for Actress, I think people thought Viola Davis was likely to pull ahead though it could have been Day or Mulligan and it seemed like McDormand deliberately opted to wing her speech. Perhaps she thought since she just got it for Three Billboards in 2017 they'd go elsewhere, or give Ma Rainey an acting sweep with Davis/Boseman).

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
They didn't even nominate Ma Rainey's for best picture.

Just amazing that they shut it out on everything but technical.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Boseman seems like he was a cool guy but I never thought he was that good an actor.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Underrated problem with putting Best Actor last is that it's no longer in equilibrium with Best Actress. Also, the Best Actor/Actress speeches are supposed to be the big ones, but by the end of the show nobody's interested in a big speech. Naturally, if Boseman had won there wouldn't be a speech at all, and I guess the producers were lucky that the guy they barred from giving a speech over Zoom ended up winning the award.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

pospysyl posted:

Underrated problem with putting Best Actor last is that it's no longer in equilibrium with Best Actress. Also, the Best Actor/Actress speeches are supposed to be the big ones, but by the end of the show nobody's interested in a big speech. Naturally, if Boseman had won there wouldn't be a speech at all, and I guess the producers were lucky that the guy they barred from giving a speech over Zoom ended up winning the award.

They would’ve had his widow speak for him like at the Globes.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mcmagic posted:

Boseman seems like he was a cool guy but I never thought he was that good an actor.

Boseman was amazing in nearly every single role I ever saw him in.

Are we watching the same movies?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

He was a good actor who was in far too few good films.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Boseman was always great, but I think the dude blew up really fast. His film stuff was always positioning him to be a superstar with sports and action movies. I think the real extra sting to the tragedy was Da 5 Bloods and Ma Rainey were the real hints of where he was going to go on to do.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yeah, he was really just at the beginning of his moment and Black Panther instantly made him a superstar. Like, he was in his early 40s but really only became a Name in 2018 so it still had that James Dean struck down in his prime sting to it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah, he was really just at the beginning of his moment and Black Panther instantly made him a superstar. Like, he was in his early 40s but really only became a Name in 2018 so it still had that James Dean struck down in his prime sting to it.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Boseman was always great, but I think the dude blew up really fast. His film stuff was always positioning him to be a superstar with sports and action movies. I think the real extra sting to the tragedy was Da 5 Bloods and Ma Rainey were the real hints of where he was going to go on to do.

I'd recommend watching the 3 biographical films he did, he's excellent in all of them:

Marshall
Get On Up

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Jaxyon posted:

They didn't even nominate Ma Rainey's for best picture.

Just amazing that they shut it out on everything but technical.

Just watched Ma Rainey, and I understand why it wasn't nominated for best picture. It's one of those adaptations of a play to the big screen which just shouts out loud "I'm a PLAY! Listen to this great live play banter!"

Chadwick and Viola deserved the actor/actress awards though.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

twerking on the railroad posted:

Just watched Ma Rainey, and I understand why it wasn't nominated for best picture. It's one of those adaptations of a play to the big screen which just shouts out loud "I'm a PLAY! Listen to this great live play banter!"

I think August Wilson's dialogue has actually translated pretty consistently to film and Washington's doing really good with the PCU (Pittsburg Cinematic Universe). It's also a play that particularly lends itself to film. The production is one stationary set, but depicts two locations simultaneously, so it has cutting between scenes very much built in.

Also, if you haven't watched One Night in Miami in comparison, it really makes Ma Rainey look a lot stronger. I think King has some good chops and the acting is pretty decent. I really liked how they made Ali feel like this kid who just became king of the world. But she REALLY can't escape that play feel. Like my wife and I didn't know it was a play and you could pinpoint the moment when it starts to transition from the prologue she added and the actual play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

twerking on the railroad posted:

I thought Fences had that feeling far more and that Ma Rainey worked well as a movie, and deserved to be nominated, though perhaps not win.

But yes both were robbed on acting.