Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I've only seen 3/8 of the movies up for Best Picture this year but so far none of them are really striking me as worthy competitors (Mank, Trial of the Chicago 7 and Judas and the Black Messiah ftr). Nomadland's the favorite so hopefully I like it and Promising Young Woman at least is divisive enough to suggest there's a real movie there to break down.

Real disappointed with Judas. Great subject matter done in by standardized filmmaking. Felt closer to something like The Imitation Game in terms of style and form than it did anything truly radical, even if it's got a solid script and good performances.

I liked Mank but man, it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Gladiator is kinda low tier Scott, but Joaquin does a good job and I had a blast seeing Oliver Reed before finally drank himself to death :smith:

And after! I remember how much of a deal the press made of them finishing Reed's final scene after he died and how seamless it was, and then you watch it and it's the most glaring poo poo. Like they didn't even correct the light source.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Big lols from me that a big Nolan film came out in a year with minimal competition and hasn't made a dent anywhere on the award circuit.

It's probably karma for singlehandedly raising the body count from this pandemic with its theatrical release

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I enjoyed Tenet at least. I thought it was going to be dogshit but it was sort of extra in just the right way.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Keep on a look out that the Oscar Nominated Shorts will actually have a from-home option

I have scoffed at most pay-a-whole-ticket-price-to-watch-something-at-home schemes this year, but will probably cave on this.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
After seeing Minari I'm really hoping it splits with Nomadland. Best Picture to Minari, Best Director to Zhao. Not sure if it's going to happen but going to be pissed if Yuh-Jung Youn doesn't win.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I was surprised at how much respect I lost for Fincher after seeing Mank, and every bit of press I've seen from him since then has caused me to lose more. Like, lmfao:

https://twitter.com/CoreyAtad/status/1377236751043993602?s=19

"Simply impossible to do perspective in 4:3" I say as I make a movie about the production of Citizen Kane.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Never forget we lost Mindhunter for this poo poo

RIP Mindhunter

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

pospysyl posted:

I was surprised at how much respect I lost for Fincher after seeing Mank, and every bit of press I've seen from him since then has caused me to lose more. Like, lmfao:

https://twitter.com/CoreyAtad/status/1377236751043993602?s=19

"Simply impossible to do perspective in 4:3" I say as I make a movie about the production of Citizen Kane.
I don't like Mank that much, but I'm not bothered by this. 4:3 can be used well, but he's right in a lot of his points about how it makes over the shoulder shots really difficult.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Big lols from me that a big Nolan film came out in a year with minimal competition and hasn't made a dent anywhere on the award circuit.

It's probably karma for singlehandedly raising the body count from this pandemic with its theatrical release

WB specifically didn't push it:

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/03/tenet-oscar-campaign-christopher-nolan-judas-and-the-black-messiah-1234625731/

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't like Mank that much, but I'm not bothered by this. 4:3 can be used well, but he's right in a lot of his points about how it makes over the shoulder shots really difficult.

Mank is a movie about the making of Citizen Kane, a film that proves every single of his points wrong. If Orson Welles could figure that poo poo out in 1941, I'm sure David "100 takes" Fincher could do it in 2020 too.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Electronico6 posted:

Mank is a movie about the making of Citizen Kane, a film that proves every single of his points wrong. If Orson Welles could figure that poo poo out in 1941, I'm sure David "100 takes" Fincher could do it in 2020 too.

Mank is a movie about the writing of Citizen Kane. And even then, it's really a movie about Mank the man. This isn't RKO 281.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

live with fruit posted:

Mank is a movie about the writing of Citizen Kane. And even then, it's really a movie about Mank the man. This isn't RKO 281.

If it's about the writing of Citizen Kane then why did they made to look like Citizen Kane? Why the B&W? Why go to the trouble to fake it to make it look like a movie from the 40's? Why plan the movie to be 4:3 from the start and give it up early on shoot? Why include direct visual references to it?

Even if it's about Mank the man, the movie is utterly wrong about everything about him. Mank never had anything to do with Sinclair, his relationship to Hearst is borderline fictitious. The process depicted about the writing is also completely and factually wrong. The Pauline Kael essay this was based on has been debunked several times.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

I really don't get the sense that they're saying Citizen Kane looks like poo poo, just that the aspect ratio has limitations. And I don't get the "figure it out" poo poo. Figure what out? Filming in an aspect ratio they're not comfortable with for a gimmick? Like you understand that you can't just "figure out" how to make this scene work in 4:3? The plot beats might be the same, but you would have to rethink so much of the composition and blocking as they correctly say.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really don't get the sense that they're saying Citizen Kane looks like poo poo, just that the aspect ratio has limitations. And I don't get the "figure it out" poo poo. Figure what out? Filming in an aspect ratio they're not comfortable with for a gimmick? Like you understand that you can't just "figure out" how to make this scene work in 4:3? The plot beats might be the same, but you would have to rethink so much of the composition and blocking as they correctly say.

You can in fact just figure it out how to make a scene of a man addressing a big dinner table work in 4:3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDO_bh4G5zo

Edit: Fincher and Messerschmidt were the ones that decided to do this gimmick. They gave it up already in early shooting. It is true that 4:3 means you have to approach scenes differently, but Messerschmidt is wrong about everything, even more so, when you have Citizen Kane hanging over you, proving every point wrong.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 1, 2021

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

You can in fact just figure it out how to make a scene of a man addressing a big dinner table work in 4:3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDO_bh4G5zo

Edit: Fincher and Messerschmidt were the ones that decided to do this gimmick. They gave it up already in early shooting. It is true that 4:3 means you have to approach scenes differently, but Messerschmidt is wrong about everything, even more so, when you have Citizen Kane hanging over you, proving every point wrong.
I just feel like the main difference is that I don't think they're saying you can't make a good looking movie in more squared ratios, just that it wasn't the movie they were trying to make or their approach to things. I'm reading their comments as more personal than inflammatory of other filmmakers.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

I just feel like the main difference is that I don't think they're saying you can't make a good looking movie in more squared ratios, just that it wasn't the movie they were trying to make or their approach to things. I'm reading their comments as more personal than inflammatory of other filmmakers.

It was the movie they were trying to make.

They shot it in (digital) B&W. In post they tried to make the picture and sound quality to mimic 1940's films. They put cigarette burns in the thing. Fincher set out to make a movie in 2020 that looked like one out of 1940. But he flopped in the most important part, the aspect ratio! They started in 4:3, and gave up early, it's right there in the man's interview. They planned it from the start, the gimmick was the wide composition that they settled during the shoot, cause they couldn't pull 4:3. A ratio by the way, that Zack Snyder managed to make it work for a film that he shot 3 years ago for imax frame, but covered for wide.

Then the DP comes out with an interview saying that in 4:3, in his own words, "you can't really do shoot overs" "you can't do shots with perspective". These are the limitations that he is talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9OUZNicTGU

Here's some overs, here's some perspective, here's a two minute and a half long one shot without breaking a sweat.

Like if he said that 4:3 isn't really good for snakes and funerals I would understand.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Fincher is one of my favorite directors but Mank was a miss for me.

The aspect ratio was the least of its problems. Who cares.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

From the interview it was the first of their problems. Poor filmmaking right from the start, probably why the movie was a miss!

Edit: Their second problem was trying to rip off a certified movie buff without asking

https://twitter.com/greggturkington/status/1375600295120531460?s=20

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 1, 2021

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

sponges posted:

Fincher is one of my favorite directors but Mank was a miss for me.

The aspect ratio was the least of its problems. Who cares.

Right, it's not like having an "authentic" 4:3 aspect ratio would have made Mank good. The core problem with the movie is that they never figure out a good reason to make a movie about the screenwriter of Citizen Kane, so when Fincher and Messerschmidt betray their disinterest in and contempt for how movies like Citizen Kane were made it gets right to the heart of the issue.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I watched Judas & the Black Messiah. On a better year this probably wouldn't be getting the buzz it's getting. But nominating both Kaluuya and Stanfield in Supporting Actor seem to be a sure way to torpedo both their chances. Kaluuya's performance was striking enough to be nominated in Leading Actor, imo.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Vegetable posted:

I watched Judas & the Black Messiah. On a better year this probably wouldn't be getting the buzz it's getting. But nominating both Kaluuya and Stanfield in Supporting Actor seem to be a sure way to torpedo both their chances. Kaluuya's performance was striking enough to be nominated in Leading Actor, imo.
Kaluuya actually seems to be the favorite for best supporting. No way Stanfield was beating Boseman, and even if Ma Rainey didn't exist, no way he was beating Yeun. And even if Minari didn't exist, Riz Ahmed should win although it would probably be competitive.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

On an Oscar binge, and I finally saw Minari today. Surprised that it wasn't nominated for Best Cinematography -- film was positively glowing with its photography. The only one I haven't seen are Mank, Sound of Metal and The Father.

The frontrunners should be Minari and Nomadland, two films that would have deserved it even in a good year.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Judas & the Black Messiah was disappointing for how it took truly phenomenal subject matter and turned it into just another standard biopic calculated for awards season.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

TrixRabbi posted:

Judas & the Black Messiah was disappointing for how it took truly phenomenal subject matter and turned it into just another standard biopic calculated for awards season.

Aren't most biopics essentially fine tuned for award season? Ditto for War movies (especially WWII)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Island Nation posted:

Aren't most biopics essentially fine tuned for award season? Ditto for War movies (especially WWII)
Yeah but that's no excuse! "Most everyone else is doing a bad job" doesn't justify your doing a bad job!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, I'd be down for a three hour traditional biopic on Fred Hampton.

This is a really good interview with the screen writers about why the film is structured the way it is and why they ended up telling Hampton's story in what often feels like a homage to The Departed.

It doesn't take away from how slight I feel like the final product is at time, but it's interesting! I think they ended up making the wrong call. Everything with Hampton just existing is the best part of the movie, but I get that they may not have even been able to make that movie.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought Judas and the Black Messiah was tremendous on every level. One of the best movies in recent memory. Insane to think of it as a standard biopic.

This is a rare year where I’ve seen most of the contenders, partially because I’ve been watching way more movies due to COVID but also because the slate looks genuinely interesting from top to bottom (except I’d rather chop my nuts off then watch Aaron Sorkin attempt to tackle radical politics). I’d rank them:

Judas and the Black Messiah

Sound of Metal (though I can’t say I expected all these nominations)
Minari

Nomadland
Promising Young Woman

Mank

Nomadland is a nice movie and a visual masterpiece but I don’t really understand the universal hype. Promising Young Woman is a mess of a movie but it’s a good time. Weird best picture nominee. I love Fincher but Mank did very little for me and everything about it has already faded from my memory. Haven’t watched The Father yet but I’ve heard it’s good, even though Anthony Hopkins Best Picture Nom Called “The Father” sounds like a parody of Oscar bait.

Another Round also rocks. I assume it’s International win is nigh-guaranteed with Vinterberg getting a director nom.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm curious what people in this thread actually want to win best picture. I'm going through this next week and watching what I haven't seen yet. (I haven't seen Judas, The Father or The sound of Metal yet.)

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

That's funny, Sound of Metal and The Father are what I consider to be the best of the nominees. Sound of Metal is like Gus van Sant's Oscar bait (especially Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot) in that it's down to earth and intimately familiar with recovery from trauma and addiction. The Father is just experimental and unsettling enough to distinguish itself from other movies about dementia, and it's brave enough to not have any wholly sympathetic characters, which is right for the subject. I haven't seen Promising Young Woman but from what I've read I'm not missing anything.

All around, it's a fairly middling slate. There aren't many outright bad movies like there were in 2019 and 2020 (of what I've seen there's only The Trial of the Chicago Seven that stands out), but nothing really extraordinary either. Mank, Judas and the Black Messiah, and Nomadland are all just mediocre. Minari's good, I wouldn't mind if it won.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I still haven't seen The Father but Judas, Sound of Metal, and Minari are all good. Nomadland is ok, but I've been recommending people just watch the first ten minutes to get the gist of it. Chicago 7 is a fascinating true story marred by liberal softening of the actual true story. Promising Young Woman is such a weird, flawed nomination.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nomadland and Minari are by some margin the two strongest films on the Best Picture shortlist for me.

Nomadland is a lock for Best Director after the DGA win, and all signs are it’ll win Best Picture too. The Father’s Hopkins will win for Best Actor and Minari‘s Youn for Supporting Actress. It’s a toss-up for all the other big awards imo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hasn’t Boseman winning Best Actor posthumously been basically guaranteed?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Hasn’t Boseman winning Best Actor posthumously been basically guaranteed?
Yeah and rightfully so. He'd be nominated regardless. But honestly, I can't imagine Hopkins beating Yeun either. I think Coleman sadly might have a better chance.

I think the big tossups for me are:

Mulligan v McDormand

Minari v Nomadland for Best Picture, but Nomadland is favored. Minari is the better movie though.

Wolfwalkers v Soul, because I want to believe

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I feel like Yeun isn't really a lead in that movie (the kid is) but it's a minor quibble.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Timeless Appeal posted:

Mulligan v McDormand

This is what people are saying, but Viola Davis did win the SAG award, I don't know why she should be counted out entirely.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

smug n stuff posted:

This is what people are saying, but Viola Davis did win the SAG award, I don't know why she should be counted out entirely.
I wouldn't count her out entirely and it's a good performance. I just have a feeling that the Oscars might be all over Nomadland so it has an edge there, but who knows. Promising Young Woman is a good but flawed movie really buoyed by Mulligan, and I feel like the Oscars have a tendency to reward movies based on a standout feature, especially performances that don't really hang in Best Picture. I think Promising Young Woman probably shouldn't be a Best Picture nom, but the fact it is probably indicated a lot of Mulligan love.

Maybe she'll spoil, but I think Davis might end up being boxed out.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I thought Hopkins won the SAG (it was Boseman). Haven't seen Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, but yeah they're definitely giving him the posthumous award.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I feel like Yeun isn't really a lead in that movie (the kid is) but it's a minor quibble.
Same. It wasn't a leading role IMO. I was surprised by how small his role ended up being.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Hopkins did win the BAFTA for best actor, which might be the only award that Boseman hasn't won so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Haven't seen Judas.

I feel like father and sound of metal were the tops for me. Those were the ones that really did something with the medium of film.

Minari was excellent.

Nomadland was really well made and had compelling subject matter, but actually watching it didn't feel compelling.

I feel like I liked Mank a lot better that everyone else did. Still, it's not as good as the top three.

Trial of the Chicago 7 was... Well it lied all over the place in really glaring ways. If I were the family of the pacifist guy I'd be looking to sue.

Promising young woman was fun but it was not well written. This also was not a well written movie, but adapting its subject matter from priests to club creeps would have made for a better movie.