Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Chicago has the same tradition, here it's called "dibs". You can call 311 to report it and a truck will come by to pick up the trash in the street, except this past winter when the snow buildup was too intense to maintain that program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Since we got the sheep and my little LGD pup was frolicking among them in 2016, we've had people slow down to gawk at my tiny farm. The llama has seriously upped that. People stop and take pictures on at least a weekly basis. There's dozens of neighbors who come walk by or bring their golf cart down to stop and watch the llama and the sheep, or the ponies, or the dogs. I'm not huge on it, but we're something of a fascination locally and, pre-covid, I'd intended to start offering pony cart rides up and down the road for the kids. Covid kinda killed that.

I actually don't have a marked mailbox because I didn't want my address all over the place and to make me a little harder to find, but apparently everybody knows anyhow.

There are some other farms that also deal with this, but a lot of them have their animals way back from the road because of this. I don't really have that option here and I'm moving as soon as I find a place I love, but as I've been treated like a petting zoo for years; I'm hoping that covid fucks off enough that we can just let everyone come give the sheep graham crackers and experience the rage that is that llama. And maybe I'll be able to give the kids pony cart rides just that once after all :unsmith:

E: basically, I was aware that the -street- knew and liked looking at the animals. I didn't know that several square miles of people were aware of The Llama Down on Fluffy Bunnies' Street.

Hello I am the Something Awful Tax Collector and I'm writing to inform you that you are delinquent on your payments. Please supply photos of your cute animals to this thread ASAP.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

A Fancy Hat posted:

My neighborhood bulletin board had a post Saturday morning that just said "Heard loud sound (gunshots?) near Sardis Rd, what's up?" and the first reply was "That's the firing range" lol.

Mine has people complaining about the noise from the demolition derby which has been there for twenty years. There are five houses next to it then nothing for miles around. It's not possible to buy one of those houses without seeing the giant demolition derby course right loving next to them. Once a month all hell will break loose strictly between 9 and 5, what is so hard to understand?

"Oh no I didn't understand that in buying a house next to a loving racecourse with literal walls made of crushed cars and advertising 'WATCH CARS GET loving OBLITERATED' all over the loving place would involve some manner of internal combustion racket once in a while!!!!" Welp better complain that I NEVER loving EXPECTED CARS RUNNING INTO EACH OTHER AT HIGH SPEED WHAT IS DEMOLITION ANYWAY I THOUGHT IT WAS SOME FANCY DESSERT.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

cynic posted:

Mine has people complaining about the noise from the demolition derby which has been there for twenty years. There are five houses next to it then nothing for miles around. It's not possible to buy one of those houses without seeing the giant demolition derby course right loving next to them. Once a month all hell will break loose strictly between 9 and 5, what is so hard to understand?

"Oh no I didn't understand that in buying a house next to a loving racecourse with literal walls made of crushed cars and advertising 'WATCH CARS GET loving OBLITERATED' all over the loving place would involve some manner of internal combustion racket once in a while!!!!" Welp better complain that I NEVER loving EXPECTED CARS RUNNING INTO EACH OTHER AT HIGH SPEED WHAT IS DEMOLITION ANYWAY I THOUGHT IT WAS SOME FANCY DESSERT.

That's like people who buy houses next to an airport complaining about loud planes. :allears:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

We bought a house near a skeet range without knowing, took us a little while to figure out what the pops were. Not a big deal and less alarming than the nighttime gunshots and other shenanigans that occurred by our city apartment.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Catastrophe posted:

Philly. And people would leave threatening notes on your car if you dared to move their street chairs in order to park in "their" spots. Except I didn't own a car there and their chairs all went into trash bins.

I should have run up a tab on how much refuse chucked into the street by self-important jerks that I've conveniently discarded for them. But holy crap do they lose their minds complaining on Nextdoor. I dunno... if I threw a shoe into the street, I wouldn't expect it to be there the next day. Gertrude and Ethel, however, believe otherwise.

this is pro-tier, right here. right on.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Am I crazy or is this clearly taken at regular human eye level?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Dr_Amazing posted:

No, you're right. The bug that posted the picture was flying at about that height when it took it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

In this episode of Don't Let Your Pets Outside!: How the gently caress do so many people keep losing turtles?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I had a turtle as a child once. Left it out in the back yard for a minute for some reason. Came back outside to see an alley cat running off with it. Safe to assume it died shortly after as it was never found. I couldn't have been more then 8 or so as I believe my grandfather was still alive at the time. Hard to remember that far back

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I had a turtle as a child once. Left it out in the back yard for a minute for some reason. Came back outside to see an alley cat running off with it. Safe to assume it died shortly after as it was never found. I couldn't have been more then 8 or so as I believe my grandfather was still alive at the time. Hard to remember that far back
The good news is that your turtle survived. The bad news is that he could be anywhere from the Technodrome to prehistoric times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sNSoURiew8

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Time_pants posted:

The good news is that your turtle survived. The bad news is that he could be anywhere from the Technodrome to prehistoric times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sNSoURiew8

That was one of the best games.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I concur.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I presume one or both of the other two photos is taken from below but I may be being too hopeful.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

There are less than 200,000 people in the county I live in, my unincorporated "city" accounts for about 25,000. The big fuss on NextDoor right now is that high schoolers are congregating in the Whataburger parking lot on Friday and Saturday nights, some of them are vaping! Some are even cussing! There are even some girls that aren't dressed modestly!

The best comment I saw was "Well hell I wonder what the time machine to the 50s thinks about teenagers hanging out at burger joints"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Chief McHeath posted:

There are less than 200,000 people in the county I live in, my unincorporated "city" accounts for about 25,000. The big fuss on NextDoor right now is that high schoolers are congregating in the Whataburger parking lot on Friday and Saturday nights, some of them are vaping! Some are even cussing! There are even some girls that aren't dressed modestly!

The best comment I saw was "Well hell I wonder what the time machine to the 50s thinks about teenagers hanging out at burger joints"

Gonna go with north florida, panhandle in particular. I'll take my prize in the form of a big check because I think that would be cool to take to the bank

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

they're still talking about ding dong ditchers

it's reasonable to shoot them because they could be the clockwork orange droogs trying to get into your house to rape you

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Ding dong droogers.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Heads up - Garbage Thiefs on the Prowl

Saturday night, we put out 2 chairs and a table for the garbage man to take away (garbage comes Monday morning). Late that night (around 8 pm) a guy comes up to our door and knocks. My husband answers and says "what do you want" and he says "are the chairs for free?".

Husband tells him to get OUT these are garbage and the man says "I'll haul them away for free they look good." Husband flashes his pistol and that scared him off really quickly lol!!!

Everybody be aware of this Guy, he's looking through your garbage and stealing stuff. Make sure to shred documents, paperwork, etc!!!!!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This is literally the plot of "The Stupids".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At least around here there seems an unspoken agreement that anything left out on the side of the road is free game for anyone to take away, with waste collection optionally involved. Though the small metal chair left by a bus stop seems to be more used for actual sitting, at least by me. There's a delightful in rebellion in making the streets more comfortable for wanderers.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Chief McHeath posted:

Boomers complain no matter what young people do. Any other day of the week, the complaint would be that kids are playing video games in mom's basement instead of going outside and socializing like they did when they were young.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Boomers complain no matter what young people do. Any other day of the week, the complaint would be that kids are playing video games in mom's basement instead of going outside and socializing like they did when they were young.

Yeah to Boomers anyone aged 6-45 is a "millennial" and everything they do is wrong, threatening to Boomers, and contributing to the downfall of society

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Chief McHeath posted:

JUGHEAD!! :argh:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

A Fancy Hat posted:

Heads up - Garbage Thiefs on the Prowl

Saturday night, we put out 2 chairs and a table for the garbage man to take away (garbage comes Monday morning). Late that night (around 8 pm) a guy comes up to our door and knocks. My husband answers and says "what do you want" and he says "are the chairs for free?".

Husband tells him to get OUT these are garbage and the man says "I'll haul them away for free they look good." Husband flashes his pistol and that scared him off really quickly lol!!!

Everybody be aware of this Guy, he's looking through your garbage and stealing stuff. Make sure to shred documents, paperwork, etc!!!!!

Gang conflict in neighborhood , almost shooting Sunday early morning hours I saw two rival gangs fight over what I assume are "drug chairs and table". Very loud arguing and then one gang member pulled out a gun and the other ran away. We are still in shock and have contact the police gang crime unit and they will get back to us. Please watch out for your kids and pets in the mean time.

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

Used chairs for sale one has a broken leg and all are slightly stained NO LOWBALLERS OR RESELLERS I NO WHAT I HAVE!!!!!1!!!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Details for Barb's Funeral

Some of you may have noticed a "Lot" of activity by my house last week. My wife of 37 years, Barb, died after a week long battle w/ the China Flu. Our Hitler Governor Tom Wolf refuses to let us have the big funeral we want, so instead we will be having a big wake at our house.

Come by the house, we will have lots of food and drink. NO MASKS, Barb would not want them.

Also before anyone asks, I already had the China Flu back on Thanksgiving so you're "totally safe" to come by.

RIP BARB!!!!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

A Fancy Hat posted:

Details for Barb's Funeral

Some of you may have noticed a "Lot" of activity by my house last week. My wife of 37 years, Barb, died after a week long battle w/ the China Flu. Our Hitler Governor Tom Wolf refuses to let us have the big funeral we want, so instead we will be having a big wake at our house.

Come by the house, we will have lots of food and drink. NO MASKS, Barb would not want them.

Also before anyone asks, I already had the China Flu back on Thanksgiving so you're "totally safe" to come by.

RIP BARB!!!!

So Pennsylvania it hurts!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Pennywise the Frown posted:

There's a new one with the same basic style (beat em up) coming soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMYwrC7oAo

Anyways

quote:

Deep rumbling vibration noise. Mostly after we have gone to bed at night, we start to hear a deep vibrating bass type sound. It is not some crackpot with loud bass type music. This is more mechanical or industrial sounding. I asked our neighbor across the street and he hears it as well. It does have a start, stop, start pattern. I tried Google & found nothing. We are near [REDACTED] & [REDACTED] in Henderson. Anyone have a clue?

Proposed answers include a nearby titanium factory spooling up, jets taking off from an air force base, Elon Musk tunneling under the neighborhood for his "hyperloops", and local road construction

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Play posted:

There's a new one with the same basic style (beat em up) coming soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMYwrC7oAo

:neckbeard:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Now if we can get Fox onboard with a Simpsons Arcade sequel...

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

We are moving to a house in a suburban area outside Chicago in a few weeks. I plan on signing up for Nextdoor there for laughs, but is it bad that at 37 I have no interest in knowing, talking to, or acknowledging any of the new neighbors? I don't need new friends and nowadays I don't need some goof rear end anti vax trump people being in my business.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Fenarisk posted:

We are moving to a house in a suburban area outside Chicago in a few weeks. I plan on signing up for Nextdoor there for laughs, but is it bad that at 37 I have no interest in knowing, talking to, or acknowledging any of the new neighbors? I don't need new friends and nowadays I don't need some goof rear end anti vax trump people being in my business.

Who the gently caress would want to know their neighbors?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Fenarisk posted:

I'm 34 years old and my most memorable neighbors are:

An insane woman and her husband who installed a flag pole in their tiny yard and walk around with guns all the time
My super-religious neighbor who asks me to go to church with him every time he catches me mowing the lawn
An old guy who yelled at me for leaving grass clippings on the road one time
A guy with a Bigfoot statue who I thought was cool until that Bigfoot statue started waving a Trump flag

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Fenarisk posted:

I'm super goony with my neighbors. Smiling and saying hello is the most I'm willing to do and that's only if it would be more awkward to not do so. I wouldn't say I have so many friends that I couldn't have a few more, but for me neighbors are more in the fellow-employee category, people near you through no choice of your own and who thus should be handled with care by not getting too involved.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Play posted:

I'm super goony with my neighbors. Smiling and saying hello is the most I'm willing to do and that's only if it would be more awkward to not do so. I wouldn't say I have so many friends that I couldn't have a few more, but for me neighbors are more in the fellow-employee category, people near you through no choice of your own and who thus should be handled with care by not getting too involved.

That sounds similar to my approach, although in my current my neighborhood most of my neighbors are at least 10 years older than me, and most more than that. I'm friendly with my neighbors, and could tell you some of their names, but that's about the extent of it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Like Facebook, I think the world would be a better, safer place if Nextdoor didn't exist. I wonder how many people rile themselves up on this site to the point where they shoot a delivery person or trick or treaters? It's not zero.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
"It is not fashionable to say much nowadays of the advantages of the small community. We are told that we must go in for large empires and large ideas. There is one advantage, however, in the small state, the city, or the village, which only the wilfully blind can overlook. The man who lives in a small community lives in a much larger world. He knows much more of the fierce varieties and uncompromising divergences of men. The reason is obvious. In a large community we can choose our companions. In a small community our companions are chosen for us. Thus in all extensive and highly civilized societies groups come into existence founded upon what is called sympathy, and shut out the real world more sharply than the gates of a monastery. There is nothing really narrow about the clan; the thing which is really narrow is the clique. The men of the clan live together because they all wear the same tartan or are all descended from the same sacred cow; but in their souls, by the divine luck of things, there will always be more colours than in any tartan. But the men of the clique live together because they have the same kind of soul, and their narrowness is a narrowness of spiritual coherence and contentment, like that which exists in hell. A big society exists in order to form cliques. A big society is a society for the promotion of narrowness. It is a machinery for the purpose of guarding the solitary and sensitive individual from all experience of the bitter and bracing human compromises. It is, in the most literal sense of the words, a society for the prevention of Christian knowledge."
Excerpt from here:
https://ccel.org/ccel/chesterton/heretics/heretics.xiv.html

GK Chesterton wrote some interesting stuff about why neighborhoods are good and it's basically exactly because you don't really pick them that neighbors can teach you things and why very specifically the Bible says to love your neighbor.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't know many of my neighbors but the ones I do know are cool. This 70 something year old guy will snowblow my driveway and others if he's out there. He brings my garbage cans back in sometimes if I'm not home or forget about them. He's the nicest guy. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Small communities irrevocably lead to people being all up in each other's business and that is something I simply cannot abide.

Also, I think he got that a bit wrong because in general the communities in lightly populated areas are much more homogenous and confirm each other's biases and opinions than those in large communities. Generally there is a "right and proper" way to do things in small towns, and if you do them wrong people will know and you may even be shunned or treated poorly. In large communities there is no such dogma.

Meeting and befriending people who are different from you in some way is totally different and does not require living in a small community or forming "cliques". And in fact in larger communities it's much easier to find people who can genuinely teach you things due to having a much different life experience.