Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Megumi is just laid out on his back at this point from the eight black flashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Nuebot posted:

They go by faster though. It's really easy to scroll by boring chapters when you're just re-reading something rather than just having it sit as the one chapter you get that week.

It’ll be interesting to see the pacing in the anime and how that will be received.

For the manga, I think the culling games will still be a slog regardless, but you’re right it’s easier to just scroll by.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

This morning I reread the full Sukuna fight, excepting the 3 or 4 chapter Kenjaku interlude because I already reread that recently. I didn't feel like it really dragged much.

What does shock me is the sheer punishment Sukuna has taken. Gojo wasn't even close to emptying his tank in the end. The reincarnation full reset and more or less mid diffing Gojo by spamming all of his Megumi abilities were definitely key to winning, but I find myself believing Sukuna probably would have won either way, even if without that major self-heal I think the gauntlet afterwards probably would have cleaned him up pretty tidily. This string of Black Flashes has to herald the end though. I think we might get the 'Open' reveal in the coming chapters. My wild guess hypothesis is that the secret activation prerequisite was that Sukuna has to respect his opponent or something and he is forced to begrudgingly recognize Yuji as an opponent.

That was one of my observations rereading the whole thing. Kusakabe calls such deliberate attention to the flame arrow that there's no way it won't show up. Other stuff that I found narratively suspicious: the Higuruma segment was the biggest lull by far for its disappointing payout, but I think that it will be revisited because I still don't get the impression he's dead.

He's a really interesting character though, it almost feels like Gege sees him more as a scientist. He had a lot of interesting hypotheses about cursed energy and is clearly a prodigy but didn't have time to test how everything would work properly, hence being blindsided by Kamutoke. Now that I think about it, maybe his arc did get fulfilled because the sword faded away after his death, but the removal of Sukuna's cursed tool remained, so that experiment worked out and proved his thesis about CT effects persisting postmortem, just not how he expected. Still, we've gotten a lot of hints that suggest most of the wounded aren't dead yet.

Overall, I really hope the fight is finishing up because it will start to drag on otherwise, but on a reread I think it all works pretty well. The Kashimo/Higuruma segment was definitely the closest to a lull because both felt like false starts. that said, particularly the beginning of the Yuji reveal this chapter feels a little abrupt. I kind of would have liked a 'less is more' approach where we get confirmation that Yuji was one of Kenjaku's projects, but just an experiment that happened to pan out perfectly. It feels like Gege wanted to shoehorn it in a little too hard here.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 20, 2024

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Yuji is an experiment that happened to pan out perfectly, and that's a subplot that's been delivered one page at a time spread across 250 chapters.

Kenjaku had found two key pieces for a plan to assume control of Tengen's barrier with Toji and Geto coexisting in the same era, so what he needed next was an ideal vessel for Sukuna as he'd be his insurance against the current Six Eyes running interference or to clean up the culling game if necessary.

Meguna shows natural-born hosts were possible, but for a number of potential reasons Kenny tried his hand at creating his own - and going off his attitude whenever Yuji's brought up, it's entirely possible that Yuji "awakening" to his talent for CE was an acceptable result for Kenjaku even if all else failed. In the end what Kenjaku desired was to push the potential of Cursed Energy further, and more than just a cog in this Rube Goldberg-like scheme he'd cooked up of tanging Japan, Yuji turned out to be a successful attempt at propagating Sukuna's bloodline and consequently latent potential into the modern era.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

No Wave posted:

Momjaku has to be one of the weirdest real plot twists out there. Like gege heard about one piece's crocomom theory and decided it had to be real.

honestly makes him one of the best villains to come out recently. dude was just doing poo poo to do it

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

TheHan posted:

honestly makes him one of the best villains to come out recently. dude was just doing poo poo to do it
Yes - all of the conflicts from chapter 1 onward happen because Kenjaku was bored.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I didn’t really care for Kenjaku until the fight with Takaba, and then he shot up to be one of my all time favorite villains.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I didn’t really care for Kenjaku until the fight with Takaba, and then he shot up to be one of my all time favorite villains.

Kenjaku revealing he's a critic is an all timer.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The Takaba fight revealed how serious Kenjaku takes The Bit. He studied the in an outs of a good bit.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

God Jin was such a freak, so many questions to be asked about what kind of poo poo Yuji's dad was on

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hey listen man, I've seen female Kenjaku, and I don't blame him!

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

I mean, considering what his soul-twin is like...

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So was Yuji being specifically at the school with the finger planned

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fabricated posted:

So was Yuji being specifically at the school with the finger planned

More than likely. Since it was sitting in a thermometer shed which I think of as similar structures to where I've found Geocaches in the past. It's accessible enough to be a place to look, but the kind of thing that you might not pay attention too unless you got some prompting. Going by this chapter Yuji having sou ties to Sukuna are probably what pinged his radar

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Kenjaku revealing he's a critic is an all timer.

I like the reasonable reveal that a (semi-)immortal being would end up spending a lot of time consuming media.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sukuna's face is hilarious when he's fighting yuji. He just looks so sick of his poo poo, compared to everyone else where he's really hyped to be fighting them.

The boys mere existence saps his will to live.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Official
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-257/chapter/42515?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1020761

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

God Jin was such a freak, so many questions to be asked about what kind of poo poo Yuji's dad was on

After seeing Kenjaku in a nurse outfit during the Takaba fight, I can understand him

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I have no idea if it was more accurate, but to be honest the official translation made more sense than TCB this time around.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I think I could watch Yuji non-stop Black Flash Sukuna for another 3 or 4 chapters and not get bored of it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The weaker Sukuna gets, the more chances there are for Miwa to make a surprise appearance and attack him with a baseball bat.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just realized with Sukuna's technique manifesting in Yuji, Gege has the opportunity to do something really funny. :goku:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
yujis ct manifesting as a computer cut symbol or instructions on where to cut in like a modern craft project is really cute

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just realized with Sukuna's technique manifesting in Yuji, Gege has the opportunity to do something really funny. :goku:

only if the world dismantle shows up as an incomprehensibly large pair of scissors

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Who was born as a player in the culling game? Is Sukuna speaking figurative here?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Yuji somehow advances the Shrine technique to where Sukuna has never thought and applies RCT for a technique reversal with glue guides appearing on objects he wants to bond together :v: . Gojo shows up soon after for the comeback jump. This awakening was merely an unveiling of all of Yuji's practice prior.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 23, 2024

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

Who was born as a player in the culling game? Is Sukuna speaking figurative here?

The other translations made it sound he was born *for* the culling game which makes more sense.

Otherwise he would maybe mean that Yuji has awakened during the culling game, but since this is a flashback from before Yuji started cleaning house idk why he would say that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's just nice to see Yuji get to loving wreck that smug son of a bitch.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
https://old.reddit.com/r/Jujutsushi/comments/1caie3k/chapter_257_translation_by_lightning/

Here's a cleaner translation by Lightning, the person who translated 236 when the official viz translator was away. They provide a lot of translation clarification on their twitter, so I trust their version more than others.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
Yo we still don't know a fuckin THING about the body swap, huh

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

gee yuji, how come your mom lets you have five cts?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yuji is all might confirmed

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Yo we still don't know a fuckin THING about the body swap, huh

i dont think the body swap is a thing

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

He's a Mishima

https://twitter.com/imkornkob/status/1780910540006867330

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
https://imgur.com/a/ad7dhSG

258 cam translation

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's so over....

For Sukuna that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Sukuna is really cooking now.

Next chapter: Itadori orders a cheeseburger.