Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Electric Phantasm posted:

I like there's an in-universe explanation for doing it. The more gimmicky domains got power crept out of existence and the people with weirder powers getting ignored in favor of people with more straightforward powers and it makes sense considering who's in charge of the Jujutsu world. Now the current chaos is allowing them all to come back and flourish.

Gege: "Oh woops i like domains and i can do some neat things in them, but need to make domains not a final surekill move"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I'm curious as to how Higuruma's domain would work against curses. Can curses comprehend or acknowledge human laws? What about the curses that aren't capable of human speech or aren't intelligent enough? I guess it wouldn't be worth it to use it on curses of that level.

It also seems like a pretty good stalling move since attacks don't work while in the domain.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

yum posted:

I'm curious as to how Higuruma's domain would work against curses. Can curses comprehend or acknowledge human laws? What about the curses that aren't capable of human speech or aren't intelligent enough? I guess it wouldn't be worth it to use it on curses of that level.

It also seems like a pretty good stalling move since attacks don't work while in the domain.

If the target is incapable of human speech it might trigger some legal clause japanese law has for those being prosecuted that aren't mentally sound. Worst case the domain just can't do anything. Maybe another shikigami manifests as a defense attorney.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

yum posted:

It seems better against Human opponents, so long as the opponent does not have a domain themselves.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Seems like Hiruguma is the type of sorcerer that can only emerge from an environment such as the culling games which mimics the golden age of sorcery due to it being primarily human vs human as opposed to human vs curse of the modern jujutsu age. Kenjaku's goal of evolving humanity and cursed energy is pretty effective.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

yum posted:

Seems like Hiruguma is the type of sorcerer that can only emerge from an environment such as the culling games which mimics the golden age of sorcery due to it being primarily human vs human as opposed to human vs curse of the modern jujutsu age. Kenjaku's goal of evolving humanity and cursed energy is pretty effective.

I'm starting to think this Kenjaku guy has the right idea. Kenjaku just wants there to be cooler fights, and I can't say I disagree.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I appreciate how this "evolution" of domains mimics real science. Alchemy was really cool back then but it had to become something scientific in order to replicate results consistently, thus we don't believe in phlegm but we have chemistry and medicine.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/359/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-171?2022-01-14

ha ha holy poo poo

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fushiguro is a well adjusted and calm individual

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
I thought Reggie was going to be just some punk but here he is using an advanced simple domain and pushing Megumi to the edge. Hiruguma beat on Yuji's rear end too, these culling game sorcerers are tough!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

yum posted:

I thought Reggie was going to be just some punk but here he is using an advanced simple domain and pushing Megumi to the edge. Hiruguma beat on Yuji's rear end too, these culling game sorcerers are tough!

Given that his version is stated to be a prototype, he's probably a past sorcerer.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

Given that his version is stated to be a prototype, he's probably a past sorcerer.

Do we know how far back past sorcerers come from? Cause I like the idea of Reggie's technique becoming far more powerful not because of anything he did, but because of advancement of technology and the rise of consumerism.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

roflmao this rules

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Really digging the in depth details on the different domains and their counters.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
We are approaching peak Rules fight ala Hunter x Hunter and I am here for it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Do we know how far back past sorcerers come from? Cause I like the idea of Reggie's technique becoming far more powerful not because of anything he did, but because of advancement of technology and the rise of consumerism.

We know they can date back to 1000 years ago as the Angel and Sukuna are said to be from then. Hajime Kashimo is the newest past sorcerer we know of being from 400 years ago. Megumi states that it can be a wide variety, and a sorcerer from 100 years ago will have a vastly different value system then a Modern one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The official chapter is out. Megumi is quite cool.

According to this Jogo and Hanami were even Higher level then originally thought.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 16, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Links
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-171/chapter/23772?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1012630

I'm coming around to Megumi being ranked #1, I forgot how fun DE Megumi can be.

I also love despite how straightforward Megumi's DE is there's still this weakness Reggie was able to take advantage of. Reggie rules

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This is some wild jojo poo poo.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The way Reggie's not above constantly eating poo poo but reacts by adapting on his feet to pose more questions is so much fun. What a great antagonist

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Links
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-171/chapter/23772?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1012630

I'm coming around to Megumi being ranked #1, I forgot how fun DE Megumi can be.

I also love despite how straightforward Megumi's DE is there's still this weakness Reggie was able to take advantage of. Reggie rules

Chapter owns lmao

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Early version of the next chapter

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/375/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-172

Brutal fight. Guessing Reggie will give up here with that wound.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ha ha Reggie's Trump card

I love this guy

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Official Translation.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-172/chapter/23816?action=read

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That's a lot of shoulder gone. I think Reggie is dead unless he has some non-receipt healing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Reggie about to pull out a medical bill.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So reviewing all the stuff we've seen with Domain expansions and barriers this fight could have played out very differently if Megumi's barrier was fully up to modern standards. One thing Kenjaku mentioned during the Mechamaru vs Mahito fight is that domains neutralize all curse techniques, that's why Gojo could in theory be hit while in Jogo's domain had he not defended with raw cursed energy the way he did. However this doesn't seem to be a standard trait of domains as we've seen a couple example of someone using a cursed technique while inside several that wasn't specifically a barrier technique as those are exempt from being canceled out by a domain.

The first time a domain did not restrict the curse technique of a person was the incomplete domain from the chapter 7 was incomplete hence why Megumi and Nobara could use their techniques and why they ultimately didn't die. Later in Shibuya we have Mei Mei vs the Small pox deity where she was able to both control a crow and cause it to suicide bomb the cursed spirit. Ui Ui using his simple domain should only have shielded him from being infected, it shouldn't have locked up any other function the barrier had on Mei Mei herself. And lastly Megumi's domain has not incorporated a "restrict cursed technique" property so Reggie could use his contract's her. It's also worth noting that in theory, Higuruma's domain also doesn't stop someone from deploying their cursed technique, it just covers both parties in a barrier to stop any attack from connecting as violence is forbidden. This would mean something like Todo's Boogie Woogie could be used in Higuruma's courtroom, although that shouldn't have any real impact on the domain itself.

As a side note there's also a case that addresses the misunderstanding I had about Megumi's current domain expansion still having the physical location of the gym visible whereas other domains paint a new scenery (with the first exception of Sukuna). The split mouth cursed spirit that was used against Papa-guru also just changed the color of the immediate scenery to a black colored nega-world when doing her whole "am I pretty" routine.

So the question that arises from a hypothetical domain where Megumi both has a sure hit attack, and can negate curse techniques is this. Are all shikigami generated during a domain expansion automatically sure-hit attacks? Sinking into the ground should be no different than the heat of Gojo's fire domain expansion being hot or falling into the water of Dagon's domain; it's an environmental feature. But would it be the case that all the shikigami Dagon or Megumi summon can be blocked with a simple domain? And it's not like that's super effective either since since even the Elder Zen'in was pushed around while he was using Falling Blossom against the swarm of fish shikigami launched against him. Megumi could replicate part of this using his escape rabbit and frogs which are the most numerous of his shikigami.

So what would be stopping Megumi in this hypothetical domain from just launching a couple of non "sure-hit" attacks to once again throw Reggie off his focus leaving him then open to the actual sure hit attack or even just being stabbed to death with a sword? The same trick of using frogs to throw him around would work just as well as any opening move. And with techniques forbidden what else can Reggie really do but try and hold out for Megumi to run out of cursed energy. Barring that, what's stopping him from just dropping Max Elephant once he realizes reggie wants to turtle up and seeing if Reggie's barrier can withstand the weight of the creature as well as his body can?

Reggie about to pull out a medical bill.
He's going to need a contract from someone that can use reverse curse technique to heal that damage.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i wish the sure-hit thing wasnt a thing, i only really liked it for mahito's domain

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Nullifies Cursed Techniques stuff is for the Auto Hit. It prevents them from using a technique to defend themselves. Just being in the domain does not stop Curses Techniques from being used.

I have some other thoughts, but I don’t have time to go into them right now. Talk to ya when I am off work.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Nullifies Cursed Techniques stuff is for the Auto Hit. It prevents them from using a technique to defend themselves. Just being in the domain does not stop Curses Techniques from being used.

I have some other thoughts, but I don’t have time to go into them right now. Talk to ya when I am off work.

Something to consider then, but we both agree on the bolded part. However the wording of Kenjaku's statement and what could be seen as the consistency of events leads me to believe that any domain that has a sure-hit component also forbids other techniques from being deployed at all unless another domain contests them. This is why the elder Zen'in uses falling blossom until Megumi shows up to play domain Tug of War with Dagon where he can then use his framerate jujutsu technique. Even if he couldn't freeze every single fish Dagon sent at him, his superior speed would have probably allowed him to move out of the way. Falling Blossom is specifically an anti-domain technique and like Simple domain, seems developed with the idea of stopping the user from being harmed in domains with sure-hit techniques as they are useless in domains that don't have auto-hit attacks as shown by Reggie just getting snatched up by the frogs.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

Something to consider then, but we both agree on the bolded part. However the wording of Kenjaku's statement and what could be seen as the consistency of events leads me to believe that any domain that has a sure-hit component also forbids other techniques from being deployed at all unless another domain contests them. This is why the elder Zen'in uses falling blossom until Megumi shows up to play domain Tug of War with Dagon where he can then use his framerate jujutsu technique. Even if he couldn't freeze every single fish Dagon sent at him, his superior speed would have probably allowed him to move out of the way. Falling Blossom is specifically an anti-domain technique and like Simple domain, seems developed with the idea of stopping the user from being harmed in domains with sure-hit techniques as they are useless in domains that don't have auto-hit attacks as shown by Reggie just getting snatched up by the frogs.

Naobito did not use Projection Sorcery, cause it would have been useless, he can't move out of the way remember, it's an auto hit. Falling Blossom allows him to counter that, but even that can be overwhelmed.

We already know Domain's don't outright prevent other techniques from being used, it's purely to get around a Cursed Technqiue's defenses. Jogo and Hanami used Domain Amplifaction which was an offensive usage of it to bypass Gojo's Limitless, but Gojo could still use it.

So the question that arises from a hypothetical domain where Megumi both has a sure hit attack, and can negate curse techniques is this. Are all shikigami generated during a domain expansion automatically sure-hit attacks? Sinking into the ground should be no different than the heat of Gojo's fire domain expansion being hot or falling into the water of Dagon's domain; it's an environmental feature. But would it be the case that all the shikigami Dagon or Megumi summon can be blocked with a simple domain? And it's not like that's super effective either since since even the Elder Zen'in was pushed around while he was using Falling Blossom against the swarm of fish shikigami launched against him. Megumi could replicate part of this using his escape rabbit and frogs which are the most numerous of his shikigami.

Simple Domain and Hollow Wicker Basket pretty much create a safe space inside the domain where it's rules don't apply. None of the Auto Hit Shikigami would be able to enter the Simple Domain. I assume Reggie planned to go on the offensive, but was caught off guard by the fact that the Domain was incomplete.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 24, 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

Simple Domain and Hollow Wicker Basket pretty much create a safe space inside the domain where it's rules don't apply. None of the Auto Hit Shikigami would be able to enter the Simple Domain. I assume Reggie planned to go on the offensive, but was caught off guard by the fact that the Domain was incomplete.

Oh, is that what it was? That part sorta confused me when I read it.

Cause I figured the simple domain simply cancelled the auto-hit but wouldn't prevent attacks themselves from hitting when aimed manually.

But I guess if the Shikigami itself was designated as an Auto-Hit then it makes sense why Reggie thought he wouldn't be hit at all.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Naobito did not use Projection Sorcery, cause it would have been useless
Fair

quote:

We already know Domain's don't outright prevent other techniques from being used, it's purely to get around a Cursed Technqiue's defenses.
This still doesn't take into account what Kenjaku says since yes, Domains that have sure hits do still stop cursed techniques hence why Gojo's defenses don't work and why gojo himself says one of the only counters in this situations is to use raw energy but not for him to use his repulsion technique. The wording isn't that a sure-hit attack circumvents a curse technique, the wording is that a technique can't be used at all within the domain at all. The only domains that do allow techniques are incomplete ones or conditional domains that lack a sure-hit and might even allow the target to fight back which is consistent across the whole series.That domain amplification neutralize's cursed techniques upon contact just reinforces the idea that a domain itself can stop opposing techniques from working.

quote:

Yes, but my point is whether every shikigami in a domain counts as a sure-hit which I got my answer for and it's no. Death Swarm is Dagon's sure hit attack but he still summons a bunch of shikigami to try and kill Toji and the rest he still is unable to use it. So I don't actually understand why Reggie was sure his Wicker basket would work when he's well aware that Megumi is a shikigami user who would realize his sure hit isn't working and just go back to having his 120%+ boosted shadow techniques and terrain advantage.

To shorten out a couple of paragraphs I've written more times than I like because I'm way to wordy:
Simple domain and Wicker basket will hard counter ethereal and indirect domain attacks like Mahito's DE idle mutation and the Plague Diety's infection. But it's useless against shikigami users who still have the option of using regular shikigami, it's also useless against to direct attacks and normal curse techniques :RIP Mechamaru:

Falling Blossom seems to hard counters shikigami sure-hits entirely as Naobito didn't get knocked back until Dagon got involved. But it still leaves you succeptible to direct attacks and shouldn't have any response to ethereal domain attacks like the ones above DE Idle Mutation since it's not a physical attack.

So yeah, Reggie still gets pushed hard even if Megumi's domain had a sure-hit since he can still drop a regular, full weight max elephant on Reggie and do everything else he did this whole fight. And even if Reggie did block a sure hit, I'm not sure he would be able to use his contracts since I believe his technique would be negated outright in that kind of domain.

tl;dr

Patware posted:

i wish the sure-hit thing wasnt a thing, i only really liked it for mahito's domain

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

So yeah, Reggie still gets pushed hard even if Megumi's domain had a sure-hit since he can still drop a regular, full weight max elephant on Reggie and do everything else he did this whole fight. And even if Reggie did block a sure hit, I'm not sure he would be able to use his contracts since I believe his technique would be negated outright in that kind of domain.

No cause he would be inside Hollow Wicker Basket a safe space were the rules of the domain don't apply. But as shown with several other domain, you can still use your Cursed Technique inside it. The Domain will just negate it if you try to use it to defend yourself. It was brought up as how Mechamaru was able to harm Mahito with the Simple Domain canisters.

Yes, but my point is whether every shikigami in a domain counts as a sure-hit which I got my answer for and it's no. Death Swarm is Dagon's sure hit attack but he still summons a bunch of shikigami to try and kill Toji and the rest he still is unable to use it. So I don't actually understand why Reggie was sure his Wicker basket would work when he's well aware that Megumi is a shikigami user who would realize his sure hit isn't working and just go back to having his 120%+ boosted shadow techniques and terrain advantage.

Dagon could not use his sure hit cause Megumi's Domain was still fighting his. As for Reggie, I don't think Domain users get a choice if their things are auto hit or not. A completed Domain I assume is always auto hit unless contested. Reggie I also assume planned to go on the offensive before the frogs grabbed him.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 24, 2022

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I forget, why is Megumi interesting to Sukuna?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jose posted:

I forget, why is Megumi interesting to Sukuna?

We don't know. Gege actually explained why he was interested in an interview, but the Interviewer felt the comments were too spoilery so censored it. This the same interview where Gege said that Yuji had no memory manipulation powers, and shot that theory down.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just finished the Shibuya Incident arc and god I don't think anything been as brutal as Gojo melting Hanami or Sukuna vaporizing an entire section of Shibuya. Surprised at how well the manga manages to make fighting against some of these guys seem so drat hopeless.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Captain Baal posted:

Just finished the Shibuya Incident arc and god I don't think anything been as brutal as Gojo melting Hanami or Sukuna vaporizing an entire section of Shibuya. Surprised at how well the manga manages to make fighting against some of these guys seem so drat hopeless.

poo poo also felt pretty hopeless when Jogo roasted Nanami, Maki and Naobito with ease. Honestly everyone on the good side probably would have died if Sukuna had not defeated Jogo. I don't think anyone in Shibuya could have taken him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Nanami death got me really hard. That's like one of my favorite characters and seeing him get roasted then shamble his way through the subway with half of his upper body scarred only to have to meet death at Mahito's hands was so tough.