Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh no he doesnt care a single bit about Yuji.
If Yuji dies he can just go back to waiting, Sukuna is a very patient oppurtunist and puts his whims and curiosity above all else. If he gets to incarnate in yujis flesh thats a plus but so far hes shown a completely nonchalant approach, and keeps things as is because its more convinient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh no he doesnt care a single bit about Yuji.
If Yuji dies he can just go back to waiting, Sukuna is a very patient oppurtunist and puts his whims and curiosity above all else. If he gets to incarnate in yujis flesh thats a plus but so far hes shown a completely nonchalant approach, and keeps things as is because its more convinient.

I mean, he's got three quarters of his power invested in Yuji at this point. It's more than a bit of a risk to throw that all away.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

i flunked out posted:

Having a shikigami snap his neck seems like a better way to kill Itadori than stabbing him the heart tbh. Itadori has already survived having his heart crushed by Sukuna, idk why stabbing him in the heart would seem more effective. Especially given the jujutsu sorcerers already know that it's not an actual death sentence for Itadori.

It feels more like a test to see whether Itadori gets taken over by sukuna or not at this point.

okkotsu was surprised itadori didn't die on the initial charge. like maybe he was testing him. I don't see it but maybe. but he is definitely trying to kill the guy

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, he's got three quarters of his power invested in Yuji at this point. It's more than a bit of a risk to throw that all away.

Yeah I think he cares more about it now, then he did during the fight with Choso, were it was a quarter of him, vs now when it's 75% of him.

I imagine he was debating if he should interfere, but smiled cause he noticed something that means he does not need to.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Oops poo poo I caught up. Digging it so far, prefer Chainsaw Man though. Character designs are pretty neat and inventive, and several of the techniques are cool as heck.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Dog Kisser posted:

Oops poo poo I caught up. Digging it so far, prefer Chainsaw Man though. Character designs are pretty neat and inventive, and several of the techniques are cool as heck.

The fact that having read Chainsaw Man before it didn't completely ruin it for me, to me, is a testament to its quality.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Random thought: After archive-binging Food Wars and Assassination Classroom on the Shonen Jump app, I found it interesting that (in contrast to MHA as well as both of those stories), Jujutsu Kaisen isn't really a school story at all, despite the main characters theoretically being high school students. There are passing references to classes (which presumably are more like tutoring sessions, since there are only three or so students in each year), but the story mostly treats the school as just their organization's base. There's no plotlines about exams, clubs (except of course at Itadori's previous school at the very beginning), a cultural festival, a student council, etc. There's also none of those inane high-stakes bets between students that drive so much of the plot of Food Wars and to a lesser extent AssClass, no Class-A-vs.-Class-B rivalries, and no grand statements about education. There's an arc involving conflict and competition between schools, but this is basically a conflict between organizations, akin to Leaf vs. Sand or Ichigo and his friends vs. Soul Society; the main issues in contention are Yuji being accepted as a Jujutsu Sorcerer instead of being executed, the Zenin clan's family drama, and Miwa wanting to show off her power so she can get promoted and make more money, rather than educational philosophy or "school spirit."

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
choso is the absolute loving best and seeing naoyta get his rear end beat was so satisfying. Then Yuuta coming in like a serial killer and just one-shot KO-ing him :ohdear:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Desperate Character posted:

choso is the absolute loving best and seeing naoyta get his rear end beat was so satisfying. Then Yuuta coming in like a serial killer and just one-shot KO-ing him :ohdear:

He's a surprising side character because I went from not really caring for him to really liking his one note trait. Gotta appreciate family.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah he became surprisingly endearing once he started helping Yuji out. Choso is still a terrible person given you know this.

Also had a feeling Naoya would be no match for a Special Grade Curse when he is not aware he fighting one.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah he became surprisingly endearing once he started helping Yuji out. Choso is still a terrible person given you know this.

Also had a feeling Naoya would be no match for a Special Grade Curse when he is not aware he fighting one.

tbf if your opponent is gojo there is no room for compassion and regret or else you're dead. just look at how toji lost because even without mercy he forgot to double tap. Choso has a self-centered view of family compared to the other curse spirits who wanted to elevate all curses and goes all out to get revenge when he loses them and protect them (i.e. Yugi) when he gains them. It's what makes him so fascinating to me and his speech this chapter was amazing.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah honestly it what makes me feel like he could absolutely be a full blown "hero". Not that he's heroic in any sense but his morality is currently so Yuji-centric that he could absolutely be used as a force for good.

Though if anything I imagine he'll die tragically saving Yuji.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Looks like Naoya’s technique really is the same as his dad’s? That’s kinda disappointing. I know it makes sense since cursed techniques are hereditary but still.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

Looks like Naoya’s technique really is the same as his dad’s? That’s kinda disappointing. I know it makes sense since cursed techniques are hereditary but still.

The Databook states that the Zenin clan is obsessed with their hereditary techniques as they are what led to their preeminence. Any Zenin of notability has to have one of their Hereditary techniques. The databook even said Nagoya had Naobito’s technique which is largely considered the second best after Ten Shadows.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Spoilers are next chapter are out and it answers some big questions. There are picture so these are all confirmed.

- Yuji's mom was the previous Getwo brain host
- Yuuta doesn't actually want Yuji dead(because he's on Gojo's side). He killed and immediately revived Yuji to get out of the binding vow he was under.
- Naoya is poisoned from Choso's blood. Yuuta offers to heal him in exchange for reporting that Yuji is dead.
- Fushigoro appears and asks for help with his sister. She's in a "game of death" that Getwo organized. Tournament arc inc?

Presumably this means Yuji isn't a normal human, and might actually have his own technique he hasn't discovered yet. Also Choso's fake memories were probably just a representation of him being able to sense that Yuji was related to him.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 17, 2021

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm caught up!

Lol. The last arc was exhausting. I just really don't find the politicking in this manga that interesting, and it loses me too often when they zoom into characters who aren't students or Jujutsu High staff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, if that dream sequence was really what happened that sure has some implications.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
okay the reveal of kamo having been yuji's MOM has my brain absolutely fried I don't think anyone saw that coming :stare:

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

i flunked out posted:

Anyone else get the feeling Okkotsu isnt really trying to kill Itadori?

Yup.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

okay the reveal of kamo having been yuji's MOM has my brain absolutely fried I don't think anyone saw that coming :stare:
:aaaaa:

I mean technically he did kill Yuji

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Finally Yoshimori from Kekkaishi has some competition for most dangerous mother in shonen.

More seriously my guess here is after the woman who mothered the original death paintings died, Kamo (or the thing piloting his corpse) decided to perfect the process by being the mother themselves. Why they chose the Itadoris is a question as well. Though it'd be funny if it was convenience or they actually just liked Mr Itadori and not part of a specific plan where they killed Mrs Itadori to possess her.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

A Sometimes Food posted:

Finally Yoshimori from Kekkaishi has some competition for most dangerous mother in shonen.

More seriously my guess here is after the woman who mothered the original death paintings died, Kamo (or the thing piloting his corpse) decided to perfect the process by being the mother themselves. Why they chose the Itadoris is a question as well. Though it'd be funny if it was convenience or they actually just liked Mr Itadori and not part of a specific plan where they killed Mrs Itadori to possess her.

From the sound of things Grampa Itadori always disapproved of his sons wife. So I would be betting that she approached Jin.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Yuji's parents had to be significant, but I didn't think the apparent series villain would turn out to be Yuji's mom, in the body-hopping sense. I don't remember any hints to that in Kamo-Geto's previous appearances. So he really is Choso's brother.

Curious how this culling game will play out...

Glad to see Megumi, but where's Nobara, Gege? Where's Nobara?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

From the sound of things Grampa Itadori always disapproved of his sons wife. So I would be betting that she approached Jin.

I didn’t get the sense that he disapproved of his daughter-in-law, just the whole reanimating her corpse so that it could have his son’s child.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Yuji's parents had to be significant, but I didn't think the apparent series villain would turn out to be Yuji's mom, in the body-hopping sense. I don't remember any hints to that in Kamo-Geto's previous appearances. So he really is Choso's brother.

Curious how this culling game will play out...

Glad to see Megumi, but where's Nobara, Gege? Where's Nobara?

Nobara is nursing a bit of a headwound atm

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I didn’t get the sense that he disapproved of his daughter-in-law, just the whole reanimating her corpse so that it could have his son’s child.

I think there's also the implication that Kaori did die and then her body got taken over but the dad either didn't know or doesn't care. It depends on what name Kamo goes by while in that body

A Sometimes Food posted:

Not really much of a competition since Kamo wants to commit genocide and Sumiko was just really distant but ultimately still loved her family in a bizarre way. Like throwing a dragon at her son and daughter-in-law. that was weird.

This situation might be more like Kanaka from Tsugumomo which is a wildly :nsfw: series but might be doing the whole pet semetary thing that's going on here

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

My reading of that scene is he knows she's supposed to be dead not that he disliked her pre-possession. His objection is "I know you loved her and wanted children but she died. Then something pretending to be her came back and you had a kid with it. You knocked up a walking corpse. This is a horror movie son!". Probably also ties into his wish for Yuji.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 21, 2021

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

I think there's also the implication that Kaori did die and then her body got taken over but the dad either didn't know or doesn't care. It depends on what name Kamo goes by while in that body

Not really much of a competition since Kamo wants to commit genocide and Sumiko was just really distant but ultimately still loved her family in a bizarre way. Like throwing a dragon at her son and daughter-in-law. that was weird.

This situation might be more like Kanaka from Tsugumomo which is a wildly :nsfw: series but might be doing the whole pet semetary thing that's going on here

I mostly meant that in most shonen it's the dad that's the mysterious powerful being with a past. It's a cheap joke and I'm certain there's other exceptions

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I thought Kaori was Jin's previous wife or girlfriend. Not the current one.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

I mostly meant that in most shonen it's the dad that's the mysterious powerful being with a past. It's a cheap joke and I'm certain there's other exceptions

Oh yeah, definitely puts her in that camp then. I read way too far into that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm forgetting a lot I think, particularly names for some reason, who is getou(?) Supposed to be again and why could they be Yujis mum

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jose posted:

I'm forgetting a lot I think, particularly names for some reason, who is getou(?) Supposed to be again and why could they be Yujis mum

They’re an ancient sorcerer who has been jumping bodies(through some brain transplant technique) to stay immortal, Geto is just their most recent host. They were once known as Noritoshi Kamo(who made Choso and his bros, and is part of the clan with the blood manipulation power) but that was probably not their original body.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Jose posted:

Geto is the long, black haired guy with stitches on his forehead. He's currently dead and his body is being piloted by this brain thing called Kamo. Yuji's supposed mother, Kaori, just appeared in the recent chapter sporting the same forehead stitches Geto has, which makes it seem like Kamo is piloting her corpse too.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The other term for the body-hoppin' brain is Getwo.

Since Kamo was probably just another corpse he piloted over the course of his life.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kamo was for sure not his original body, as he was only alive 150 years ago, and the brain in Geto has been around since the Golden Age of Sorcery 1000 years ago.

It's one of the reasons it's a bit awkward for me to call False Geto Nortitoshi Kamo, as we know it's not his real name, and another character has the same name.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

RatHat posted:

They’re an ancient sorcerer who has been jumping bodies(through some brain transplant technique) to stay immortal, Geto is just their most recent host. They were once known as Noritoshi Kamo(who made Choso and his bros, and is part of the clan with the blood manipulation power) but that was probably not their original body.

ok its the him making choso that I wasn't sure of mostly. I know that its assumed yuji's mum was a host

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
yeah well wouldn't anyone find a person with forehead stitches super sus? that flashback was super creepy

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lily Catts posted:

yeah well wouldn't anyone find a person with forehead stitches super sus? that flashback was super creepy

It's unclear if regular people can even see the stitches since it's a side effect of the technique.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

It's unclear if regular people can even see the stitches since it's a side effect of the technique.

I think it's visible to everyone. The Guidebook states they are part of the techniques binding vow, which is why Getwo has not fixed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also there are hints and rumors that Vol 0 will be adapted as a movie. A domain name for JJK movie has been registered.