Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5606/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-210?date=20-1-2023-8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
that chapter's just a little hard to follow lol

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I’m deeply confused but I’m happy the comedian got the final panel

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It's really not obvious when it's a flash back in that chapter on first read lol

Great ending though

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It made sense by the end, what a nice chapter. :)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

sounds like i should wait for the official on this one

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Patware posted:

sounds like i should wait for the official on this one

eh it's not the wording that's confusing really. it's the switching of contexts without using bridges

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Yeah like one piece would change the white space filler around panels to grey or whatever for an in chapter flash back so you know specifically when it's happened which isn't the case here

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
lol pretty meta of Gege to (in)directly tell the audience look guys!! Angel isn't a replacement for Nobura!!! She'll be back soon, I promise!!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It can be a little hard to follow until you realize that only the final panel is relevant in this chapter.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

yum posted:

lol pretty meta of Gege to (in)directly tell the audience look guys!! Angel isn't a replacement for Nobura!!! She'll be back soon, I promise!!

Hope you're right because I took it as confirmation that's Nobara is gone for good. Mainly this is because my only hope that she would come back is simply the fact that they DON'T talk about her, which would be insanely cold of them (and out of character) if she was dead, but makes a little more sense as a narrative contrivance for her surprise return. Talking about "replacement" has too much of a depressing air of finality to it, though as mentioned probably best to wait for the official translation. Either way Gege really dug a hole for himself in dragging it out for so long.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wish they'd just directly confirm nobara's situation instead of talking around it

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I still think Nobara is faking her death as payback to Itadori, and at this point it's the only outcome I'd enjoy.

For the rest of the chapter, yeah it was a little hard to parse, and not much happened either. Hope next week picks up the pace.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Jose posted:

Yeah like one piece would change the white space filler around panels to grey or whatever for an in chapter flash back so you know specifically when it's happened which isn't the case here

I feel like this has been a consistent issue with JJK. I think you can deal with it on a reread but it's always been jarring to me when time shifts in this story.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Manatee Cannon posted:

I wish they'd just directly confirm nobara's situation instead of talking around it

Has there ever been a character who's fate has been dragged out this long?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Imagine if they just came out like what, 2+ years after the fact and just said "yeah she's for reals dead"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Annie. Attack on Titan.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Scallop Eyes posted:

I still think Nobara is faking her death as payback to Itadori, and at this point it's the only outcome I'd enjoy.

For the rest of the chapter, yeah it was a little hard to parse, and not much happened either. Hope next week picks up the pace.

if she pops out of a cart like yuji did then all is forgiven

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

chiasaur11 posted:

Annie. Attack on Titan.

But in that case everyone knew where she was and what her status was even though she was out of the story for an eternity.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Gin

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The entire cast of Hunter X Hunter

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

The entire cast of Hunter X Hunter

from gon to gone

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Hope you're right because I took it as confirmation that's Nobara is gone for good. Mainly this is because my only hope that she would come back is simply the fact that they DON'T talk about her, which would be insanely cold of them (and out of character) if she was dead, but makes a little more sense as a narrative contrivance for her surprise return. Talking about "replacement" has too much of a depressing air of finality to it, though as mentioned probably best to wait for the official translation. Either way Gege really dug a hole for himself in dragging it out for so long.

If she was actually dead then Gege would've said so instead of doing this cause if he did

Fabricated posted:

Imagine if they just came out like what, 2+ years after the fact and just said "yeah she's for reals dead"

this, that would be insanely bad lol.

Plus there's the whole theme going on with the trio representing the body (Yuji), mind (Megumi, cursed technique), and soul (Nobara, now after her brush with death). Plus she managed to pull off a black flash, an extremely rare feat, in the fight against Choso's bros which is supposed to advance her understanding of cursed energy, suggesting some sort of evolution is coming. Someone also deduced her hometown is close to the border of one of the colonies from her flashback. She might be with her grandma, who is apparently a powerful/renowned exorcist or something since Nobara was able to get into JJH on her recommendation.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Scallop Eyes posted:

I didn't consider this possibility before, but it's amazing and now I want it to happen.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How long did Itadori actually fake his death for? Wasn't it like, days? How long has it been since Shibuya?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I thought it was for at least a month, but in terms of the narrative it was the blink of an eye (especially as it stayed with Yuji's perspective the whole time). Seems like it's been a couple of weeks since Shibuya at least, but there really hasn't been much indication of how much time is passing -- we don't know when they find time to sleep, etc. But subjectively, reading the serialization in real time, it feels a lot longer for the reader.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Kind of a struggle the first time through. Weirdly enough, the biggest thing that stood out to me was seeing White Dog again. Good luck Kurusu.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Official
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-210/chapter/26133?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015481

Still kinda confusing mostly due to framing

the fisherman cursed spirit is still a real sick concept.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Incredible joke at the end.

yum posted:

If she was actually dead then Gege would've said so instead of doing this cause if he did

this, that would be insanely bad lol.

Plus there's the whole theme going on with the trio representing the body (Yuji), mind (Megumi, cursed technique), and soul (Nobara, now after her brush with death). Plus she managed to pull off a black flash, an extremely rare feat, in the fight against Choso's bros which is supposed to advance her understanding of cursed energy, suggesting some sort of evolution is coming. Someone also deduced her hometown is close to the border of one of the colonies from her flashback. She might be with her grandma, who is apparently a powerful/renowned exorcist or something since Nobara was able to get into JJH on her recommendation.

The problem is what's already happening is also bad. It's not as bad as Fabricated's hypothetical, but it's for sure not good.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

King of Solomon posted:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Official
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-210/chapter/26133?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015481

Still kinda confusing mostly due to framing

the fisherman cursed spirit is still a real sick concept.

feel like jjk has always been really bad at scene transitions

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it's just a bit much to have multiple flashback scenes spliced between the present day scenes with very little context while having some of the separate flashback/present day scenes be related

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
JJK has always done interesting things with putting scenes within scenes or symbolic location changes for dramatic effect and sometimes it works really really and sometimes it doesn't.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

King of Solomon posted:

The problem is what's already happening is also bad. It's not as bad as Fabricated's hypothetical, but it's for sure not good.

actually, it's bad :negative:

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Yeah, now that I am catching up week to week instead of reading things all at once I feel how frustrating this stuff is. Like, if the writing could just pick a lane to be in for a while WRT Nobara and just let the characters deal with it it'd be fine, but this dancing around what happened just pisses me off because it DOES make it feel like she's spent this entire stretch of the manga hiding in a box waiting to pop out in like a year or two instead of her absence actually having any meaning.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I genuinely do trust that Akutami has a solid and logical rationale for why Nobara's survival has to be held in 100% secrecy to gently caress over the villains' plans while also acknowledging that this poo poo has, for whatever reason, been dragged out long enough to exhaust the good will of the audience, particularly given the recent track record of notable female characters.

This is almost certainly a product of editorial mandates to keep the narrative going as long as it's profitable, but it sure as hell doesn't make it palatable.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

He said he was gonna finish the story in a year.

The culling games has been a lot of fun, but all over the place. I think you’re right, it feels as the editors are telling him to tie off loose ends

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nobara's technique seems like it'd be really useful for loving with Geto's big complicated web of interlocked techniques so that's my guess as to what they'll do with her whenever or however she returns.

Worst case scenario is that she's actually dead/going to be dead but they have some weird way of preserving her technique to use it

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I was thinking last night and realized it would be extremely Gege Akutami to do some wacky physics explanation for Yuki to still be alive.

Black holes resulting in time travel feels like an extremely Gege thing. Also her ability is mass, and the theoretical formula for time travel require exotic matter with negative mass. Feels in line with reverse cursed energy explanations.

This is based on nothing, but I could see Gege pull some “cursed energy but it’s actually math”bullshit in the future. I’m sure the actual math/physics experts will tell me why I’m wrong though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I watched the 0 film last night and it was loving sick. Gorgeous and well done start to finish.

Although it made me wonder how Okkotsu still has Rika-Chan as his companion given the finale. Part of his training with Miguel I guess?