Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
So I'm like 90% certain I know what Yuuji's cursed technique is, and he's been unconsciously using it for some time now.

When he fights Toudou for the first time there's a moment where the narrator explicitly tells the audience "at that moment, memories of a past that never happened flowed into Toudou's mind" or something like that. We then see Toudou imagining a situation where he and Yuuji bonded over their love of Takada-chan, call each other brothers, and have a bunch of other comedic scenes that obviously never happened because they never met before. Toudou is kind of a gag character so it's easy to play this off as a joke and think nothing of it.

Except then it happens again, with Choso -- who up to that point was a deadly serious villain who credibly threatened the main casts' lives. And it uses the exact same language about "memories of a past that never happened." Choso starts referring to Yuuji as a brother (imagining him to literally be one of his "brothers" as a cursed fetus that then grew to adulthood, like Choso himself is) and is willing to go to any length to keep Yuuji safe and to validate their bond.

I guess it's technically possible that these two situations aren't actually related and Toudou's really is just a gag while Choso's is a genuine reveal about Yuuji's past. (That is, the scenes he imagined aren't real, but they are a tragic what-could-have-been and Yuuji really is a Death Painting like the three brothers.) Maybe the repeated phrase is just a quirk of translation or a common phrase that I'm reading into.

But I don't think so. I think Yuuji literally has the Power of Friendship, and instinctively used it on both Toudou and Choso, injecting false memories into their minds that paint him as someone they trust and would protect at any cost.

Which is loving terrifying. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU