Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So fun fact, the author recently had an interview where they did a strange thing and spoiled the hell out of their own series.

For non spoiler stuff details like Geto was a homage to Sensui, but while Akutani was emotionally invested with Sensui, he was unable to find himself invested with Geto. Toudo was based on Kenpachi Zaraki from Bleach. The Death Painting fights are some of his favorites, however death paintings 4 to 9 are not special grade and won't show up during the serialization. Story is about at the halfway point, and he thinks there are about 2 more years left in it.

For something funny he was asked about Sukuna's interest in Megumi, and proceeded to giveaway everything. Saying exactly why Sukuna let him live, why he is interested and some other details. The people airing the interview apparently felt he gave away too much and censored his answers to the questions.

But he actually brought up the fake memories thing which I consider a spoiler and it was not censored. Namely he shot down your theories. The fake memories are not part of Yuji or Sukuna's abilities or any kind of technique. A direct quote "The false memories aren't foreshadowing or reference to any technique. Toudo and Choso both see the memories that never existed for different reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Relin posted:

isnt occams razor megumi will have a super strong shikigami once 9 of them are dead, which i assume sukuna wants for reasons

But Sukuna already defeated his ultimate Shikigami.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I think it only counts if Megumi had exorcized and controlled Mahoraja. Megumi can bring in other people into the initial taming but if the shikigami is defeated by another it nullifies the technique. But that might be a good point. A dead shikigami empowers another, so all 9 into mahoraga might make an already Gojo-level threat even stronger.

Megumi has to beat a Shikigami solo for it to count as taming.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Why Gojo covers his eyes.

quote:

The Six-Eyes essentially is "eyes that see cursed energy extremely clearly". Even covering his eyes, it is like he has high definition infrared vision. Even objects that have no cursed energy can be made out by the remnants of cursed energy or the flow of cursed energy around them. So if he is not covering his eyes, even while he uses Reverse Curse Technique to keep his brain fresh, its a bit tiring for him. If a normal person wore Gojo's sunglasses, it would be completely black and they would be unable to see through them.

Pretty much it's tiring to look at stuff without a filter on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Interesting that False Geto may not have been able to defeat and capture Jogo and Mahito, on his own.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I wonder if Choso has a second face under his outfit like his brothers did.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
When Yuji got stabbed Sukuna seemed to care for a moment. I imagine he cares a bit more about Yuji dying now that 15 fingers are in Yuji compared to the 5 before.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, he's got three quarters of his power invested in Yuji at this point. It's more than a bit of a risk to throw that all away.

Yeah I think he cares more about it now, then he did during the fight with Choso, were it was a quarter of him, vs now when it's 75% of him.

I imagine he was debating if he should interfere, but smiled cause he noticed something that means he does not need to.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah he became surprisingly endearing once he started helping Yuji out. Choso is still a terrible person given you know this.

Also had a feeling Naoya would be no match for a Special Grade Curse when he is not aware he fighting one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

Looks like Naoya’s technique really is the same as his dad’s? That’s kinda disappointing. I know it makes sense since cursed techniques are hereditary but still.

The Databook states that the Zenin clan is obsessed with their hereditary techniques as they are what led to their preeminence. Any Zenin of notability has to have one of their Hereditary techniques. The databook even said Nagoya had Naobito’s technique which is largely considered the second best after Ten Shadows.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

A Sometimes Food posted:

Finally Yoshimori from Kekkaishi has some competition for most dangerous mother in shonen.

More seriously my guess here is after the woman who mothered the original death paintings died, Kamo (or the thing piloting his corpse) decided to perfect the process by being the mother themselves. Why they chose the Itadoris is a question as well. Though it'd be funny if it was convenience or they actually just liked Mr Itadori and not part of a specific plan where they killed Mrs Itadori to possess her.

From the sound of things Grampa Itadori always disapproved of his sons wife. So I would be betting that she approached Jin.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I thought Kaori was Jin's previous wife or girlfriend. Not the current one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kamo was for sure not his original body, as he was only alive 150 years ago, and the brain in Geto has been around since the Golden Age of Sorcery 1000 years ago.

It's one of the reasons it's a bit awkward for me to call False Geto Nortitoshi Kamo, as we know it's not his real name, and another character has the same name.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

It's unclear if regular people can even see the stitches since it's a side effect of the technique.

I think it's visible to everyone. The Guidebook states they are part of the techniques binding vow, which is why Getwo has not fixed them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also there are hints and rumors that Vol 0 will be adapted as a movie. A domain name for JJK movie has been registered.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Volume 0 getting a movie before a probable season 2 makes sense because it introduces a lot of poo poo that is very relevant to parts of the Shibuya Arc and the aftermath.

Also Demon Slayer did utterly amazing with it's plot relevant movie.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Yeah sorry I'm totally not having a kid with my strangely resurrected dead wife who now has some sketchy af stitches in her head. Yuji's dad has some really poo poo priorities.

I don't think it's his resurrected dead wife. I think his old wife just died and he got a new one his Dad did not like.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CodfishCartographer posted:

I read it more as because Yuji's Dad's previous wife died before he could have children, he then got with creepy stitches woman and had a baby with her. More of a rebound than necrophilia. Maybe I read it wrong?

No I agree with you.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Nobara is probably alive given that we haven't heard word one about her. As for Maki, the one dickhead Zenin guy described her as [being in the process of] dying. Given that her dad was in a similar state and succumbed to his injuries doesn't make me that hopeful for her- she'll either pull through, or this will be character development for Mai who'll probably get a scene with her dying sister.

Naobito is her uncle. As he is the Dickhead Naoya's dad. His little brother who also showed up at the meeting is Maki and Mai's dad. Even if Maki lives, I don't expect her to be a great state given how Namami looked after he got roasted by Jogo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CodfishCartographer posted:

I was slow and didn't see your reply, I was responding to the same poster you were :v:

I know it was about your maybe I read it wrong part. So I was saying No I agree you are not wrong.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SgtSteel91 posted:

Since binging the manga, I also haven’t seen that Binding Vow Sukuna made with Yuji to revive him the first time ever be used (the one where Sukuna can take control for one minute after saying enchain and also maybe not hurting or killing anyone during that minute?)

Yeah Sukuna has not used it yet. Presumably he has a big plan, and is very confident in it, enough that he did not take Mahito, and Jogo's opportunity's to allow him to force Yuji into giving him the body.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Spoiler for the next chapter.

We see Maki, she has apparently recovered enough to walk around due to her strong body and constitution, and a lot of reverse curse technique applications. However even RCT won't heal everything so she has a new look and may have lost her right eye.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Weird how Kechizu is the only one of the Death Paintings to break the theme naming of ending in So.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tweet my meat posted:

Holy poo poo Maki looks badass now. She already did before but now she's on a whole different level.

And she can't really be blamed for anything given that the one who gave her the scars was probably the 2nd or 3rd most powerful Curse Spirit we have seen, and everyone else who got burned by him died.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Jogou I want to say was confirmed as the strongest of the disaster curses and they're a cut above every actual cursed spirit or fleshed curse shown in the series so far that isn't Sukuna. I know Okkutsu gets played up a lot but I'm not actually sure he could've taken Jogou or Mahito due to general incompatibility in techniques (Jogou being able to just poo poo out massively powerful heat AOEs that even the Zenin frameskip poo poo can't effectively dodge, and Mahito being effectively invulnerable to anyone whose technique can't damage his soul). Jogou kinda hilariously gets humiliated in every straight up fight he has outside of him stopping by to hurt all our favorite charcters, because he ends up fighting the two characters shown so far who're capable of just overhand dunking on him- Gojo and Sukuna.

Jougo was stated as being the strongest. He was about half as powerful as a full strength Sukuna, he had a powerful domain expansion, was very fast, knew techniques like Domain Expansion that allows him to ignore other people's techniques. (In turn this would let him kick Mahito's rear end) The Databook outright states that Geto/Getwo who would be able beat Okkutsu if their forces are not divided, May not be able handle Jougo and Mahito in a straight fight, in order to capture them. (It was very helpful of Yuji to beat Mahito for him)

Jougo's only weakness was his relative lack of durability in comparison to his fellows. As an author note states the 4 back to back black flash barrage that Yuji hit Hanami with would have killed Jougo. Though the same note also states the same attacks would not have even hit Jougo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh cool info hearsay I heard was that was translated from the Databook. Rough Power scaling for the notable Special Grade Curses (Namely the Disaster Curses and the Death Paintings) in terms of Sukuna fingers. This does not take into account clever fighting or type matchups.

Kechizu: Close to 1 finger
Eso: About 1 Finger
Choso: Almost 2 Fingers
Mahito: 2 Fingers when he first showed up, 4 Fingers during the Shibuya Arc.
Hanami: 3 Fingers.
Dagon: 5 Fingers
Jougo: 9 Fingers closer to 10 when enraged enough.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

Yeah that's just pure cursed energy level I think. Mahito is much more dangerous than that suggests for example.

Oh yeah. Even said it did not take stuff like clever fighting, or type matchups into account. Still 4 fingers is considerably stronger then any non special grade sorcerer.

Though honestly for Mahito, I don't know if he would have done as well against Naobito, Maki, Nanami, and Megumi as Dagon. Naobito's curse technique canceling ability could possibly allow a victory against him, given that Nanami knows what Mahito can do.

Mahito overall is just hard to fight, unless certain type matchups come into play. Like Yuji and Nobara.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 27, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHan posted:

Choso’s characterization is so loving good, it’s so easy to feel for this poor freak of nature and how his siblings were treated

Honestly looking back, I don't even think his two awakened brothers deserved to die. They never killed anyone, and were initially willing to let Yuji and Nobara leave.

But yeah it's kind of shocking how likable Choso has become. Like back during his fight with Yuji, I bet pretty much everyone here thought he was just going to lose to Yuji and die and that would be the end of the Death Paintings subplot.

Though I wonder if Yuji is going to conflict with Choso about the other 6 brothers, when Choso gets them after the meeting. Like Choso is going to want to revive them, which means putting them in people to incarnate, and I don't think Yuji would be cool with that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

muscles like this! posted:

The way he was talking about them I got the impression that the other Death Paintings aren't viable. He calls them the remains of his brothers.

It was the same as Choso, Eso, and Kechizu. They were dead cursed Fetuses that incarcerate when placed in someone.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 28, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHan posted:

Choso's false memory having his remaining siblings still in tubes has me thinking they're not strong enough to incarnate like him and his special grade brother, but if they really do come back for them I guess we'll see.

And the fact that Choso's false memory isn't wanton murder or destruction but just him and his brothers living a peaceful life having picnics is so :3: dude just loves his fam.

His other brothers have never had physical form. He would not know what their incarnations look like.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

I mean even Chose didn't reincarnate until he was shoved into a body and it's possible he doesn't have any plans to give them bodies either. He just wants to recover them so they can all be together. Because all the portraits are special grade as a classification so it'd be weird for some of them to be that weak.

I know, but Choso may want to incarnate them, and I think Yuji would object to that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

I guess I didn't phrase that correctly. I think that for Chose all he wants is to get his brothers out of captivity but never intended to actually give them bodies. That is assuming that his ideal version of life as presented by that weird flash is reflective of an endgoal he'd would like, his other brothers not being dead and the rest close at hand. This is my read on their origin because it says that they were all content to just be aware of each other's existences even as aborted fetuses for over a century. Maybe he wants different it's definitely a likely outcome.

The fact they were aware of each other as aborted fetuses was all that kept them going. Unlike the first 3, 4 to 9 have never had bodies so he would not have any idea of what they would look like in his memories.

Choso may not incarnate them, but I think Choso would prefer it. Back during the discussion between the three brothers, Choso said they were going to help the Curses partially out of gratitude for incarnating them, but mostly because they would prefer the Curses’s world. This implies they for prefer having bodies instead of being immobile fetuses.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-145/chapter/22321?action=read

Finally got Fake Geto's true name.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Some details possibly about the History of the Brain’s true name.

quote:

Brain's real name Kenjaku seems to have been derived from Fukūkenjaku (不空羂索観音), one of the many avatars of the Buddhist deity Avalokiteshvara (who's known as Kannon in Japan). He's said to have postponed his own attainment of nirvana until he led every human on earth to salvation and helped them achieve enlightenment. This might tie into Brain Kenjaku's plan to force the evolution of humankind through its merging with Tengen – a subversive twist on a Boddhisatva's 'benevolent' intention.

Interestingly, Kenjaku also happens to be the posthumous Buddhist name of Kanenaka Hirohashi, a court noble from the Kamakura Period (which followed the Heian Period). His mother was from the Fujiwara clan,which was a rival to the Sugawara clan and had a particularly bad history with Sugawara no Michizane, the ancestor of Satoru and Yuuta

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, this is absolutely a setup for Choso to get killed or something. The type of people coming for Tengen are going to be beyond special grade sorcerers/curse-users who're only at the 1-3 Sukuna Finger level, and Okkotsu would probably be able to stop most of the antagonists here so naturally he's going to help with the culling game.

I don't really agree with this.

Choso is strong, And I doubt Kenjaku has a bunch of special grade Curses, or Curse users allies on the same level as the Disaster Curses just sitting around. Tengen seems to know what was needed in order to protect him

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Got some more details on this Culling Game via the upcoming spoilers.

The rules for a refresher.

According to Tengan, in order to do what Kenjaku wants it to, the Culling Game has to go on for two months.

On Rule 1. There are apparently 10 days and 15 hours left before participating in the Culling Game is required.
On Rule 2. According to Tengan, and Shoko Ieiri removing the Cursed technique is fatal. So not participating means you die. Maki and maybe Panda are not at risk from this.
On Rule 3. Because of how it is worded people that are already in barriers are allowed to leave and not participate. Apparently this was an important detail for bindings.
On Rule 4 and 5. Apparently the game master will monitor each player through bug-shaped Shikigami.
On Rule 6. You are only allowed to add rules no removing them.
On Rule 7. Apparently the game master won't be able to just reject rules if they won't be in Kenjaku's favor, likely as a result of the large number of bindings required to make this work.
On Rule 8. Megumi apparently has some way around this, so they won't have to kill people.

Tengen is also giving Maki access to Juzo Kumiya's Atelier. (The guy who made Haruta's flying hand sword and wanted to turn Gojo into a coat rack. Apparently he is super talented at making cursed tools.) And she is going to get Megumi to get her access to all the Cursed Tools the Zen'in's have locked up as the new head of the family.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHan posted:

The first rule only applies to any sorcerers like Megumi's sister that Geto prepped beforehand, right? Plus I got the impression Geto doesn't really care about killing everyone who disagrees since lol, what're they gonna do? Get hit with centipedes and fail, probably.

Yes. The people he marked, then edited the brains of with Idle Transfiguration, or the people he put Cursed Objects into then unsealed with Idle Transfiguration.

However anyone that enters the barriers becomes players, unless they were people (Including those he marked) that were in the barrier at the time of it's creation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jerkface posted:

Also at the end is that a normie inheriting nanami's CT?

That was my thought which probably means he’s a distant relative.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-146/chapter/22365?action=read

Proper translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I Am Fowl posted:

Welcome to Greed Island, everybody.

If Greed Island was Japan and you got points by murdering people.

I think. I can see a good loophole rule to counter the score can’t stay the same. Ask the GM to make it so players passively gain points.