Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jujutsu Kaisen's anime has a fairly active thread, but up to now, the manga has been discussed in the Miscellaneous Shonen thread rather than getting a thread of its own. Now I'm finally correcting that!

Summary shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia:

quote:

Setting
In Jujutsu Kaisen, all living beings emanate an energy called Cursed Energy (呪力, Juryoku), which arises from negative emotions that naturally flow throughout the body. Normal people cannot control this flow in their bodies. As a result, they continually lose Cursed Energy, resulting in the birth of Curses (呪い, Noroi).

Jujutsu Sorcerers (呪術師, Jujutsushi, lit. "Cursed Technique Masters" or "Shamans") are people who control the flow of Cursed Energy in their bodies, allowing them to use it as they please and also to reduce its release. High-ranking Sorcerers and Curses can refine this energy and use it to perform Cursed Techniques (呪じゅ術じゅつ式しき, Jujutsushiki), which tend to be unique to the user or their family. An advanced form of Cursed Technique is Domain Expansion (領りょう域いき展てん開かい, Ryōiki Tenkai), through which the user can use their Cursed Energy to build a pocket dimension that covers the surrounding area within which all attacks will be stronger.

Plot
Yuji Itadori is an unnaturally fit high school student living in Sendai with his grandfather. He regularly avoids the track team due to the time commitment required for it, despite his innate talent for the sport. Instead, he chooses to join the Occult Research Club; due to the freedom it allows him in attending, he goes to visit his dying grandfather in the hospital every day. On his deathbed, his grandfather instills two powerful messages within Yuji: "always help people" and "die surrounded by people". These two ideas seemingly stem from his grandfather's own regrets. After his grandfather's death, Yuji interprets these messages as one statement: everyone deserves "a proper death".

Yuji is then confronted by Megumi Fushiguro, a sorcerer who informs him of a high-grade cursed charm talisman at his school that Yuji recently made contact with. His friends at the Occult Club unsealed the talisman, a rotting finger, which attracted Curses to the school, creatures that are brought about through negative emotions and are strengthened by consuming magical powers present in sorcerers or such charms. Unable to defeat the Curses due to his lack of magical powers, Yuji swallows the finger to protect Megumi and his friends and becomes the host of Ryomen Sukuna, a powerful Curse. Due to Sukuna's evil nature, all sorcerers are required to exorcise him (and by extension, Yuji) immediately. However, despite being possessed, Yuji is still able to retain control over his body for the most part. Seeing this, Satoru Gojo, Megumi's teacher, decides to take him to the Tokyo Prefectural Jujutsu High School to propose a plan to his superiors: postpone Yuji's death sentence until he consumes all of Sukuna's fingers, allowing them to kill Sukuna once and for all.

Thus summarized, it may sound a bit generic, but I would say Jujutsu Kaisen has four key qualities that make it stand out. The first is perhaps best summarized by this post:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Jujutsu Kaisen is one of the most slyly self-aware shonen I've ever read. It's like every little formulaic frustration I have with the genre was something the author noticed, and felt the same way about. The protagonists are happy to gang up or ambush opponents; the rear end in a top hat faction of social conservatives are actually villains as such; having a demonic other half that you can call on for power is actually a really bad idea, etc.

Jujutsu Kaisen also has good fight scenes (obviously an important quality for a battle manga); they're consistently both visually impressive and clever. Thirdly, it has a great sense of horror (but without being Chainsaw Man levels of edgy). And finally, I find its attempts at humor actually funny (subjective, I know), which is rare for shonen manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is a drat good one. I started reading it after watching the first anime episode and being in love with how it looked, and I caught up very fast. The series has also only gotten more interesting with time, and this last arc has opened more than a few questions, like why Rika's back with Okkotsu and what he's actually aiming towards. If it ends up in a fight between both protagonists, then that makes sense, but his personality seems very different than what it was in Volume Zero. I wonder what happened there.

Also probably worth pointing out in the first post that the manga is being translated officially and the newest three chapters can be found for free in MangaPlus (Viz too probably)

Oh yeah, should have mentioned that. It's on the Viz app.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Akutami has called Okkotsu "indecisive." I think Okkotsu himself isn't sure whether he's trying to kill Itadori or not.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Random thought: After archive-binging Food Wars and Assassination Classroom on the Shonen Jump app, I found it interesting that (in contrast to MHA as well as both of those stories), Jujutsu Kaisen isn't really a school story at all, despite the main characters theoretically being high school students. There are passing references to classes (which presumably are more like tutoring sessions, since there are only three or so students in each year), but the story mostly treats the school as just their organization's base. There's no plotlines about exams, clubs (except of course at Itadori's previous school at the very beginning), a cultural festival, a student council, etc. There's also none of those inane high-stakes bets between students that drive so much of the plot of Food Wars and to a lesser extent AssClass, no Class-A-vs.-Class-B rivalries, and no grand statements about education. There's an arc involving conflict and competition between schools, but this is basically a conflict between organizations, akin to Leaf vs. Sand or Ichigo and his friends vs. Soul Society; the main issues in contention are Yuji being accepted as a Jujutsu Sorcerer instead of being executed, the Zenin clan's family drama, and Miwa wanting to show off her power so she can get promoted and make more money, rather than educational philosophy or "school spirit."

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Not sure how I feel about this manga killing / maiming most of the female cast???????

Nobara better loving live.

I don't want Nobara, Maki, or Mai to die, but I don't see anything wrong with giving them some scars. Their character designs will be extra-distinctive now. :v:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Is volume 0 a separate entry on the Viz shounen jump app or have they not done an official release here? Is there a good link to it since I haven't read it...

It’s on the app as chapters 0.1 through 0.4 of Jujutsu Kaisen.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ethiser posted:

It seems like once you have the power to force every magical person in the country to participate in a survival game against their will you should have been able to just kill everyone who might go against your plan.

The way Tengen explained it, Kenjaku only has the power to force everyone into the culling game precisely because he's doing it in a convoluted way. It's a Nen-style power-from-restrictions thing.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Gojo has explicitly literally contemplated killing all the "higher-ups," though. He thought better of it, but it's something he's considered doing.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Wow, Maki just went full Itachi on the Zenin clan.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Yeah, it’s not an entirely coherent concept. In practice, I guess it makes you faster and your movements more precise, at the cost of having to plan out those movements in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TheHan posted:

The six eyes are inherited within the Gojo clan right? I think they've always been a big deal but Satoru is the biggest of deals.

IIRC, Six Eyes and The Limitless are both inherited. Satoru is special because he has both at once and they synergize well.