Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its not particularly more linear than any other FF game. The overworlds of pretty much all of them are designed so the geographic features funnel you towards your next objective and reliably go town->dungeon->town. FFX just dropped the world map aspect but functionally its the same minus the old rpg mega dungeon that is the world map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's an RPG maker game about a world that gets created at one end and devoured by malevolent fog at the other, forcing its inhabitants to live in a never-ending nomadic journey (towns do exist but they are regarded as spiritually decadent and by nature impermanent).

It's still not as linear as FF10.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

There's an RPG maker game about a world that gets created at one end and devoured by malevolent fog at the other, forcing its inhabitants to live in a never-ending nomadic journey (towns do exist but they are regarded as spiritually decadent and by nature impermanent).

It's still not as linear as FF10.

One-Way Heroics?

Cardiovorax posted:

You want to go right back to Besaid shortly before walking into the final area of the game? Go right ahead.

I think that's their point, that you're following a strict pilgrimage up until you're no longer playing the flashback and once you end the pilgrimage portion, you start deciding on your own how you're going to do stuff and things open up more.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I always did prefer the world map format. Even though you're still on a preset path there's much more room to explore and it makes the world feel much less gamey. FF9 did a great job of this where there were enough little things tucked away to make the world feel lived in and even having sidequests that enhanced the appeal of the world map like chocographs

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Having played both in the last year, I prefer the linearity of FFXIII over FFX

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

To me opening up a world map with some pixelated abstraction of major landmarks is like, the definition of video gamey.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't think this is really a good argument here. You can have an open world even with a linear narrative and it's not like the game really stops you from pretty much going wherever and whenever you want. You want to go right back to Besaid shortly before walking into the final area of the game? Go right ahead.

It works for the game particularly because the plot is very clear about being all "okay, you did this, next stations is..." with the implication that your itinerary has been out long in advance. That doesn't mean the game world had to be designed to fit it.

of course you can go back to besaid before the final area, you have the airship by then :v: but I'm not saying you can't have a world map and a linear narrative or that the designers had to do anything lol, just that the designers did make those decisions with ff10 and it's a stronger game for it

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

To me opening up a world map with some pixelated abstraction of major landmarks is like, the definition of video gamey.

Cartography, of course, being a video game abstraction.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
None of those games ever even bothered to address the fact that you suddenly grow to be as tall or taller than the largest buildings in towns when you go to the world map

Pathetic

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Looper posted:

of course you can go back to besaid before the final area, you have the airship by then :v: but I'm not saying you can't have a world map and a linear narrative or that the designers had to do anything lol, just that the designers did make those decisions with ff10 and it's a stronger game for it
Yeah, fair enough. It's difficult to tell sometimes when someone means "the game is stronger for being designed that way" or "the game works only because it was designed that way." Sorry for the misunderstanding.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

karmicknight posted:

Cartography, of course, being a video game abstraction.

The modern globe is pretty much entirely mapped out, yet all the OOB secrets of video game worlds have yet to be discovered.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SeXReX posted:

None of those games ever even bothered to address the fact that you suddenly grow to be as tall or taller than the largest buildings in towns when you go to the world map

Pathetic

None of them address the fact that they all live on donut-shaped planets either.

What was some games with world maps that are actually spheres? First thing that comes to mind is the geomap in x-com ufo defense but I can't think of any other world map that actually takes place on a sphere.

e: for anyone who doesn't know about the donut worlds

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 2, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

One-Way Heroics?

The Way

I can't remember if I liked it or not. The way this wiki is written has me leaning towards "not".

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I know there was an lp for the way on here pretty recently.

The game can best be described as a hot mess, imo. Setting's pretty cool tho.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Way was notable for being episodic and with backgrounds made in Bryce which is ultra nostalgic for me but even like 15 something years ago it's an RPG maker game with a weird battle system made by one guy that's anime as gently caress so... yeah don't play it except as a curiosity.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

I don’t actually play competitive but I always thought Umbreon was usually specced as a wall and usually ran like three indirect moves and one offensive one so that Taunt doesn’t completely gently caress it up(

My Umbreon is a wall. I’ll have to look at how Taunt works and maybe replace one of the offensive moves because I did have some issues with it in the battle tower

e: I'm looking it up and apparently if a Pokemon with no offensive moves is Taunted then it can only use Struggle, so limiting the number of offensive skills doesn't help with that

wuggles fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 2, 2021

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

None of them address the fact that they all live on donut-shaped planets either.

What was some games with world maps that are actually spheres? First thing that comes to mind is the geomap in x-com ufo defense but I can't think of any other world map that actually takes place on a sphere.

Surprisingly Secret of Mana which cool in hindsight but makes finding anything on the map a total chore.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I liked the first third of Endgame where everyone was just cripplingly depressed and there were almost no jokes. The other two Avengers movies (the first one and then the one with Ultron, I didn't actually watch Infinity War) were boring and the same movie but I really like how there's two tiers of Avengers - the ones who do stuff and the ones who don't do anything. Thor and Iron Man and Hulk are killing billions of enemies and cutting holes in spaceships and then you go to the ground level and Black Widow has a gun and shoots two enemies before deciding to just stop worrying about killing things and goes to fix a power line or something, and then Captain America has to punch one guy at a time and if they gang up on him he needs help

Otherwise I haven't seen a Marvel Movie since Iron Man 1 which was okay

the best part of the infinity war movies was how they introduce Captain Marvel, a hero that's cosmic-tier power level. They had to awkwardly write her out of the movie with some "i have business elsewhere" line, but both time she showed up in the movie she takes one look around, sees everyone moping, and is like "well let's go solve the problem" and then she decapitates Thanos easily, first try. That's not enough because of convolution, so she goes away again and there's more boring movie. Then at the finale she shows up again and let's the XYZ squad pass her the ball and she dunks it into Thanos2's skull no problem. I want to see a cut of every Marvel movie where Captain Marvel just swoops in half an hour into the movie, solves the problem and leaves and it's over.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Populous: The Beginning

Mario Galaxy has both globe worlds and donut worlds

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

This owns so hard

Not to go back to math chat so quick but each "sufficiently nice" surface can be encoded by one of four squares whose sides are identified (glued together)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_polygon#Examples_of_Fundamental_Polygons_Generated_by_Parallelograms

So if the sides are glued together in the "obvious" way (top to bottom, left to right, and the direction you are moving is preserved when you cross over) then your world map will be a donut (torus)

If you glue together at the corners, like a coin purse, your world map is a sphere. So if approaching the bottom side of the bottom-right corner you reappear on the right side near the corner, going in the same direction, you're on a spherical world.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I want to see a cut of every Marvel movie where Captain Marvel just swoops in half an hour into the movie, solves the problem and leaves and it's over.

wouldn't that just be a tv show

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hwurmp posted:

Populous: The Beginning

Mario Galaxy has both globe worlds and donut worlds

Being able to orbit a planet by long jumping in Galaxy is some of the dumbest fun I've had.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah right i tried watching the marvel tv show and those were all 45 minute snoozers and I think it took them like 30 seasons to finally reveal their main character had superpowers all along. The good part of the show is that Cooper from Twin Peaks shows up sometimes.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Being able to orbit a planet by long jumping in Galaxy is some of the dumbest fun I've had.

I'm lowing Outer Wilds from a 10.1/10 to a 10.0999999999/10 for not having a torus planet.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
OoT randomizer update:

I found a whole bunch of keys and a whole bunch of songs but no ocarina to play them on, grabbed a bomb bag so went up Death Mountain, wasted all my bombs chucking them into the jug before I realised it needed to be spinning and I couldn't do that, turned adult and beat Dampe for a bloopee only to get stuck in his grave, tried to do a bunch of tricks and couldn't pull them off and ended up getting a headache. I did get an adult wallet so I'm thinking my best bet now is grind money for sticks and nuts so I can dive into the Deku Tree and swing by Lost Woods for some bomb grottos. The racers make this look so easy :gonk:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like a lot of math courses would be made more interesting and effective at teaching the concepts if they actually demonstrated how they were utilized to some real effect

like a lot of concepts make more sense as tools than some fundamental concept in a vacuum

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

one mention of Mario Galaxy and already the fuckin music is in my head

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like a lot of math courses would be made more interesting and effective at teaching the concepts if they actually demonstrated how they were utilized to some real effect

like a lot of concepts make more sense as tools than some fundamental concept in a vacuum
The problem with this is that a lot of math becomes far, far, far more complicated once you remove it from its convenient and limited vacuum and try to apply it to a real thing, because math is neat and confined and real things tend to very much not be. I've got a lot of experience with that due to my own college work. Turning a flat 2D plane into a torus looks very simple, for example, but if you ever showed a school kid the geometrical transformations involved and the type of multi-dimensional matrices you'd need to apply to do so, they'd be so intimidated by it they'd refuse to ever touch the concept again.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hogwarts Legacy will let you create trans characters

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1366743065663266828

(In the same way CP77 let you make trans characters which means not really)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SeXReX posted:

Pathetic

I feel like however 7 Remake 2 chooses to address this is going to be jarring. How much of an abstraction was that world map? Are they going to keep the representation of every continent being two towns, a miscellaneous location, and thousands of square miles of empty space

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

in the United States, the Common Core curriculum that was adopted in most states in the past decade (and in the ones that didn't, their standards are basically the same thing), a lot of the emphasis in the math standards is the idea of number sense and learning the mechanics behind why certain concepts work instead of just learning the algorithms that get results

for instance, you do a lot of teaching different ways to think about adding and subtracting two-digit numbers rather than just learning how to stack them and do the tried-and-true algorithm most people who post here probably learned in second grade

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

The problem with this is that a lot of math becomes far, far, far more complicated once you remove it from its convenient and limited vacuum and try to apply it to a real thing, because math is neat and confined and real things tend to very much not be. I've got a lot of experience with that due to my own college work. Turning a flat 2D plane into a torus looks very simple, for example, but if you ever showed a school kid the geometrical transformations involved and the type of multi-dimensional matrices you'd need to apply to do so, they'd be so intimidated by it they'd refuse to ever touch the concept again.

I claim that you can understand and enjoy THIS particular concept without any matrices at all

I think it's fairly easy to convince even a child of the sphere and torus transformations (square -> surface) and then if you're say a game designer making a 2D game you can represent a spherical or ...toroidal? world map with just a plane

the obvious application of course is that now you can play chess and pac-man on some weird poo poo

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

wuggles posted:

I claim that you can understand and enjoy THIS particular concept without any matrices at all

I think it's fairly easy to convince even a child of the sphere and torus transformations (square -> surface) and then if you're say a game designer making a 2D game you can represent a spherical or ...toroidal? world map with just a plane

the obvious application of course is that now you can play chess and pac-man on some weird poo poo
Oh, I agree that it's a very simple and illustrative demonstration of the concept and you can absolutely understand what it is just from looking at what you showed us in your post. I was simply talking about it in terms of that kind of application helping you to learn how to do so yourself, which is where reduction to the absolute basics honestly helps a lot.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

wuggles posted:

So if the sides are glued together in the "obvious" way (top to bottom, left to right, and the direction you are moving is preserved when you cross over) then your world map will be a donut (torus)

If you glue together at the corners, like a coin purse, your world map is a sphere. So if approaching the bottom side of the bottom-right corner you reappear on the right side near the corner, going in the same direction, you're on a spherical world.

Except it's even more complicated than that. A standard torus has an different distance to get all the way around depending on whether you're inside or outside the "donut". What you get when you stick the ends together like this:

and preserve the inner and outer distances is a "flat torus", which is an even weirder geometrical object.

E: Maths is cool and is taught badly!

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 2, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I finished the base campaign of MG Survive. That was, uh, certainly some stuff that happened. Thanks everyone who helped make the base not be a huge time sink, but I just don't think this is my kind of game.

At least I accomplished my main goal which was to finish it before the PSPlus release of the FF7 remake, which is going to be a trip as I've never played any Final Fantasy and know virtually nothing about the original beyond "aeris dies"

CottonWolf posted:

Except it's even more complicated than that. A standard torus has an different distance to get all the way around depending on whether you're inside or outside the "donut". What you get when you stick the ends together like this:

and preserve the inner and outer distances is a "flat torus", which is an even weirder geometrical object.

The real fun starts when you use a portal-based engine to make non-Euclidean geometry like a column you can walk 720 degrees around before getting back to the start

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 2, 2021

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I learned all my math from Donald Duck and that movie isn't even on Disney+ wtf is wrong with this world?

Rarity posted:

Hogwarts Legacy will let you create trans characters

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1366743065663266828

(In the same way CP77 let you make trans characters which means not really)

It means that modern video game character creators have finally caught up to Saint's Row 2, a game released 13 years ago.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

al-azad posted:

It means that modern video game character creators have finally caught up to Saint's Row 2, a game released 13 years ago.

Saint's Row 2 also had the advantage of not giving money to the world's preeminent transphobe.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

haveblue posted:

I finished the base campaign of MG Survive. That was, uh, certainly some stuff that happened. Thanks everyone who helped make the base not be a huge time sink, but I just don't think this is my kind of game.
Shame to hear it, but I hope you still had some fun with it, at least.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3msWx4nW6k

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

al-azad posted:

Bring back the doodoo truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Final Fantasy II does an impressive (for the NES) and entirely useless attempt at projecting the overworld map as a sphere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NtrCeShJq0&t=4713s

It's actually a donut world of course, or a toroid to be more specific.

Here's a fun thought experiment: how would a donut and a sun move in relation to each other to produce a day-night cycle?

I think the closest you can get to a consistent earth-like cycle would be for the donut to spin like a wheel, and have the sun do a figure eight through the hole.